WW1 mini Victory Medal

hirsca

Estate sale find today. Very nice miniature WW1 Victory Medal. The clasp is a slot brooch, but the ribbon is not attached like on all of the full sized slot brooch medals that I have. Instead of the ribbon going over the top from front to back and then through the slot back to the front, it is just laid flat against the front and stiched in two places---a pair at the top where the slot is and a pair where the holes are in the clasp, like in the full sized medals. The striking on the planchet is very crisp on both sides. I have no clue as to the vintage or maker of this mini. Can anyone help me with some info? Thanks, Al Hirschler in Dallas.

post-12790-1336783185.jpg

Estate sale find today. Very nice miniature WW1 Victory Medal. The clasp is a slot brooch, but the ribbon is not attached like on all of the full sized slot brooch medals that I have. Instead of the ribbon going over the top from front to back and then through the slot back to the front, it is just laid flat against the front and stiched in two places---a pair at the top where the slot is and a pair where the holes are in the clasp, like in the full sized medals. The striking on the planchet is very crisp on both sides. I have no clue as to the vintage or maker of this mini. Can anyone help me with some info? Thanks, Al Hirschler in Dallas.

post-12790-1336783299.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
FrankEaton01

I can't help with the manufacturer, but it looks like a nice quality pre-WWII example to me. The brooch is attached the same way as an applied brooch. Perhaps the person who assembled it didn't know the correct way to use a slot brooch.

b60ef793.jpg

• 9 years later...
Primoris Scio

Does anyone know what size the battle clasps were for the mini ribbon, and could they use stars on the ribbon instead? 

I have seen examples of both.

By its looks, this appears to be an early WWII period Gemsco variant, based on the type of brooch used and finish of the planchet.