Some help with identifying a WWII USMC officer

Long Trang

Long Trang

Hey Fellas..I have had a WWII USMC Officers blouse for quite some time. I finally took down the info inside the blouse and this is what it has on the label:

R.C. Armstead

Lieut U.S.M.C

O 26178 G 3161 D 8/8/41

Blouse and trousers were custom made by Horstmann.

Can anyone by chance look him up? I will post photos of the blouse as soon as I clean the storage dust off it. Been in storage for a long time. :(

Thank you.

Hi Long,

Your soldier may well be "Robert C. Armstead"

If you google hime you will see that he remained in the Corps and retired a Lt.-Col.

ARMSTEAD, ROBERT C 2D LT USMC USN/USMC 1942

Melanie

Long Trang
Hi Long,

Your soldier may well be "Robert C. Armstead"

If you google hime you will see that he remained in the Corps and retired a Lt.-Col.

ARMSTEAD, ROBERT C 2D LT USMC USN/USMC 1942

Melanie

Hi Melanie,

Thanks for the help. However when I google the name I keep getting something else. I will keep trying. Thank you.

Edit: Ok..I found him in the register. Now....need to try and find a service number or something to request a report.

teufelhunde.ret

He may be the son of a Marine, the manifest shows a Robert C. a son of Frank R. leaving Shanghai for the US. Frank R. enter the Corps in 1917. Robert C. was born Nov 1918.

SeattlePassengerandCrewLists18821957_328248302.jpg

From 1942 issue of the Lucky Bag, the right time frame to graduate from the Naval Academy, given his date of birth... providing of course, this is the correct Robert C. Armstead...

USSchoolYearbooks_128368573.jpg

Here is his info:

Name: Armstead, Robert C

Enlisted: 15 Apr 1936

Commissioned: 19 Dec 1941

Officer Service #: 08579

Date of Retirement: 1 Jan 1968

Date of Birth: 14 Nov 1918

His rank at retirement was Colonel and he was also designated a Naval Aviator.

Long Trang

Wow...thanks so much fellas. I have some little business types cards that came with the uniform. He headed some sort of USMC VFW type group. One of them had the city of Chicago on it. I will dig them out then post them.

Edit: Oddly enough Seattle was where I found the uniform. Looking at the US Citizens manifest above.

Long Trang
Here is his info:

Name: Armstead, Robert C

Enlisted: 15 Apr 1936

Commissioned: 19 Dec 1941

Officer Service #: 08579

Date of Retirement: 1 Jan 1968

Date of Birth: 14 Nov 1918

His rank at retirement was Colonel and he was also designated a Naval Aviator.

My only concern is the Blouse is dated 8/8/41 This would be before his commission.

• 2 months later...

I FOUND THIS POSTING DO A SEARCH ON COL ROBERT ARMSTEAD WHO IS MY GRANDFATHER, HE SADLY PAST AWAY EARLY WED MORNING. HE LIVED IN BELLEVUE WASHINGTON UNTIL ABOUT 2000 THEN MOVED TO SUN CITY WEST ARIZONA. HE IS SCHEDULED TO BE LAID TO REST AT TAHOMA NATIONAL CEMETREY WITH HIS PARENTS IN AUG. IF YOU COULD CONTACT ME EITHER BY EMAIL OR PHONE THAT WOULD BE GREATLY APPRICIATED THANKS. 425 591 4766 OR IF YOU COULD EMAIL AT [email protected]

Stinger Gunner USMC

He was with 7th Defense BN from early '43 to late '44 then stateside for the remainder of WWII He was a Captain at the end of the war.

VMF 323 in Early '48 as a Major

1949-51 he served at the Basic School and Quantico as Perm personnel.

He made LTC in July 1952 and went to HQSQ 33, MAG 33 then to VMF-115 in Korea as a LTC

from the end of Korea to 1958 it looks like he served almost entirely at Henderson Hall in Arlington as an instructor.

Hope this helps your research...