Officer's "GEMSCO" Cap Insignia

Gator

Guys,

wonder if one might be able to school me on a time period for the following Officer's Cap Badge that is missing the center insignia. Also what does the "Acid Test" refer to?

Thanks

Mark

post-50776-0-24179600-1399606092.png

"Acid Test" is a chemical verification process which determines the gold content of a metal. Modern military insignia is often marked 1/20 Gold Filled which means much the same thing. It's like marking a silver piece STERLING. Don't get excited though...your bird isn't solid gold! :lol: As for period and why it lacks the starburst device, I have no idea....but someone else on the forum will probably be able to explain that!

Yeah, WWII, but what happened to the Burst of Glory ? I ask the Gator to either post photos of the top of this badge showing the top edge straight on, or ask if he feels that there is damage to the top of the eagles head as well as the inner sides of the scroll, where something might have been broken off. Would anyone have seen this type before, a badge seemingly made in the style of the U.S. Army Officers cap badge but without the burst of Glory ?

• 1 year later...

I believe Tec Reps, Technical representatives for companies [civilians in uniform] working with the military wore the badge that way.

Graham