1942 Field Desk

mpguy80/08

mpguy80/08

Hi gang...

Just thought I'd pop by and show off my latest aquisition off Ebay. I've been looking for any of the different types of field desk for my display and caught this one on a Buy It Now bid. It's in great shape, though the paint has seen better days, but the inside is good and the thick leather handles are present and strong. The clasps are good, however the main lock is missing the key so I might have to replace it. The brass manufacturers disk has a date of 12-2-42 though I can't make out the manufacturer until I clean off some paint that has spilled on it. Overall, I'm happy with it. Let me know what you think...

Wayne

post-3743-1336694791.jpg

mpguy80/08

Not very often and they usually go for quite a sum... like $200+ plus shiipping... I got this one for $149.99 plus shipping... I keep in touch with a lot of guys that have them and I've wanted one for ages but all I could find is the Korean war and newer version with the removable lid that becomes the table and the folding stool on the inside. I used one of them when I was in Supply in Korea back in 1992... I knew I needed one like this and just happened on it at the right time... they don't last long on a buy it now if you can even find one on a buy it now bid... most go auction and bidding wars are the norm...

Here is one of the more modern ones I was talking about.... check out this auction and the price...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/military-field-des...=item3f16a07d44

Another of the same type... modern 1984 dated

http://www.ebay.com/itm/US-ARMY-JEEP-MILIT...=item2a19e3f938

This is a type similar to what I have but it is more modern as well, having a national Stock number... (NSN)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-GENUINE-G-I-OF...=item19d074e2f3

As you can see, even the buy it now's start at $250 or so... You might check with your local antique mall... you can often find some interesting things there...

Hope this helps...

Wayne

Cobrahistorian

Man, I just passed up on a 1945 dated one for $100 on Tuesday. Probably should have grabbed it...

I finally found one of these locally a few weeks ago for $125. Mine is also missing the key. If you find a source, let me know!

AAF_Collection

I don't have one of these desks,but on the subject of the missing key I'd suggest looking into getting a replacement key before replacing the lock. Any good locksmith should be able to "pick" the lock and make a replacement key unless it's an unusual design.

Matt.

mpguy80/08
I don't have one of these desks,but on the subject of the missing key I'd suggest looking into getting a replacement key before replacing the lock. Any good locksmith should be able to "pick" the lock and make a replacement key unless it's an unusual design.

Matt.

I should be able to find one... its a Yale lock... so they should be able to provide or manufacture one... The good thing is that its a turn lock... and it was locked while it was opened so it cant close and lock the whole thing up... The lock appears to have the post that penetrates the nose of the key as you insert it. I'm going to get the numbers and any identifying marks off the lock and see if Yale can help me...

mpguy80/08
Official name of this type is: Chest, records, Fibre...

Nice one!

Hi Johan,

I was wondering... I know there are different types of desks that were used during WWII... I've heard of them referred to as Company, battalion and other different names. How many field desk types were there and what were they called?

Wayne

never looked at the year but the one we had and used when I was in had legs on it -they were attached inside the lid and when opened and removed the lid became the desk top with the legs down and the other side attached to the box side that had the drawers in it

got me curious so I go-ogled them on line and found one like it

post-8504-1336910908.jpg

did many LOD's - sick calls - morning reports - and what not from one of these - awwwwwwwwww good memories

hawkdriver

Wayne, the keys are pretty easy to come by. I have a friend that had to get a key for his, as soon as he got it, it broke and had to have it replaced again. I will ask him today and see if I can get you a source.

The clasps are good, however the main lock is missing the key so I might have to replace it.

FYI, eBay is a good source for these keys; just search by the lock manufacturer and the key number marked on the clasp. I was able to get keys for two field desks very reasonably.

mpguy80/08
got me curious so I go-ogled them on line and found one like it

post-8504-1336910908.jpg

did many LOD's - sick calls - morning reports - and what not from one of these - awwwwwwwwww good memories

That's the kind of field desk that's still being used today... Not quite sure when it began being used, but I know they've been around at least 30 or 40 years...