WW2 Officer EGA's What is special about these?

LuftStalg1

Leatherneck72

If I am not mistaken, this is a pattern/style that is normally associated with "sweetheart" jewelry, with only one side normally found. Having both sides would lend credence to it also being used as a collar set on officer blues, so therefore some people might think it more scarce than the single. Besides that, there is nothing special with that set. I think these were most seen in the 1950's to early 1960's before the release of the current 1962 style EGA we still use today.

usmcaviator

My brother is close. I think that these were probably the last of the Corps Devices used on the dress epaulettes of the officer's pre-war mess dress. By WW2's start the uniform's function had faded from importance (more important to win the war then dressing up). And after the war, the epaulettes were no longer a part of the uniform. You cant get post backed EGAs on the knotted epaulettes, only pinbacked EGAs fit. While these very well could have been worn or placed on the collar, almost all uniforms by this time had reinforced eyelets for post backed insignia. Collectors view these pinbacks as variations. It is tough to find any 1937 pattern EGAs in pinback form as they were only around for a few years before the need for them disappeared. A normal postbacked set would run you about $150 in today's market. These brought double that ($310) due to their relative scarcity compared to most.

S/F,

Mike

LuftStalg1
My brother is close. I think that these were probably the last of the Corps Devices used on the dress epaulettes of the officer's pre-war mess dress. By WW2's start the uniform's function had faded from importance (more important to win the war then dressing up). And after the war, the epaulettes were no longer a part of the uniform. You cant get post backed EGAs on the knotted epaulettes, only pinbacked EGAs fit. While these very well could have been worn or placed on the collar, almost all uniforms by this time had reinforced eyelets for post backed insignia. Collectors view these pinbacks as variations. It is tough to find any 1937 pattern EGAs in pinback form as they were only around for a few years before the need for them disappeared. A normal postbacked set would run you about $150 in today's market. These brought double that ($310) due to their relative scarcity compared to most.

S/F,

Mike

Thanks for the history lesson Mike. :thumbsup: The study of EGA's alone requires a Doctorate and I just started my first week of this class! :blink: