Charles J. George's Medals

67Rally

"We went looking for G.I. Joe, a real American hero, and we found a real American hero."

CITY OF NEWBURGH — The boy wanted to see the medal.

It was a soldier's Purple Heart. He could tell because he'd toured the Purple Heart Hall of Honor in New Windsor with his father and learned about the sacrifice required to receive one. He is a curious boy and pursues his varied interests in everything from school to the toys he chooses.

So, it wasn't strange when 10-year-old Michael Mazzariello II searched a City of Newburgh antique store, hoping to find an old-time G.I. Joe figurine. That's where he spotted the Purple Heart.

Erik Berean, owner of The Antique & Collectible Shop on Broadway, pulled out the medal to show Michael. Berean had four Purple Hearts at the shop, but this particular one differed from the rest in that it was inscribed with a soldier's name: Charles J. George.

Berean and Michael looked at the back of an accompanying Bronze Star and a Good Conduct medal, and they found the same name. (More)

Rank and organization: Private First Class, U.S. Army, Company C, 179th Infantry Regiment, 45th Infantry Division. Place and date: Near Songnae-dong, Korea, 30 November 1952. Entered service at: Whittier, N.C. Born: 23 August 1932, Cherokee, N.C. G.O. NO.: 19, 18 March 1954. Citation: Pfc. George, a member of Company C, distinguished himself by conspicuous gallantry and outstanding courage above and beyond the call of duty in action against the enemy on the night of 30 November 1952. He was a member of a raiding party committed to engage the enemy and capture a prisoner for interrogation. Forging up the rugged slope of the key terrain feature, the group was subjected to intense mortar and machine gun fire and suffered several casualties. Throughout the advance, he fought valiantly and, upon reaching the crest of the hill, leaped into the trenches and closed with the enemy in hand-to-hand combat. When friendly troops were ordered to move back upon completion of the assignment, he and 2 comrades remained to cover the withdrawal. While in the process of leaving the trenches a hostile soldier hurled a grenade into their midst. Pfc. George shouted a warning to 1 comrade, pushed the other soldier out of danger, and, with full knowledge of the consequences, unhesitatingly threw himself upon the grenade, absorbing the full blast of the explosion. Although seriously wounded in this display of valor, he refrained from any outcry which would divulge the position of his companions. The 2 soldiers evacuated him to the forward aid station and shortly thereafter he succumbed to his wound. Pfc. George's indomitable courage, consummate devotion to duty, and willing self-sacrifice reflect the highest credit upon himself and uphold the finest traditions of the military service.

BigJohn#3RD

What a great story; the boys uncovered the legacy of a brave soldier who gave all for his comrades and was forgotten up until now. RIP Brave Soldier your acts of selfless courage are not forgotten. :salute:

uplandmod

...good kid...1980's GI Joe was one of the things that led me into Militaria when I was older.

LF

• 2 weeks later...

I know it is a little late to respond here, but travels keep me from truly examining the board in depth.

I seriously doubt that the medals are or were ever meant for the medal of Honor recipient and undoubtedly were not medals in the possession of the parents in 1954. By looking at the photo of the boy and the medals, you can clearly see that the medal case in the photo is a rather modern case, just as you can see the plastic on the army good conduct medal. My bet is that these medals belonged to a more recent recipient.

Allan