Southern France "Anvil-Dragoon" relic

sgtbarnes44

That one was found in the vicinity of Aix en Provence, city liberated after some combats by the "Marne" division in august 1944.

First topic shows the steel pot before cleaning, next one will shows it after.

Notice that cardboard from Hawley liner outerpart is still stucked on the inside.

post-647-1200146246.jpg

Thanks for your comments. :lol:

Guess I need to acquire a new showcase to exhibit my other helmets.

Also need to find a way to stop rust without ruining the paint that still visible on the helmet, more than what I thought when I dedusted it. May be you can give me some advices?. think.gif

post-647-1200233899.jpg

Sgt,

maybe you can try oxialic acid? (acide oxialique). Its found as a product to bleach wood in every common hardware store. The good thing about this product is that it removed most of the rust, and brings back the paint in a way you've never seen. That's the good thing about this, it attacks the rust, but not the paint.

Here is a link to a well know french forum; http://mcollec.free.fr/ident/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=574

Its in french of course, but it shows the remarkable results you can have with this method.

:blink:

great relic!

If I were you, I wouldn't touch it! It has such a battle look thumbsup.gif

+1

... DON'T TOUCH IT ! ANYWAY !

When in a room free of humidity, the rust STOPS by itself. If you really need to have the feeling you've cleaned it, use a dry paint brush for a soft dust cleaning but PLEASE do not tend to that new french fashion of cleaning the helmet the "Mr Clean" way with acid and other products...

Just my opinion... Is that you were asking for ?

Hill 84

post-647-1200336768.jpeg

By the way, as I was cleaning the helmet I found a faintly visible marking inside: A L MURPH(I or Y?) ?169??09. I did not find the owner on NARA, may-be one of you has a roster of the division and can find the unit and the story of the GI that had that steel pot. think.gif

Thanks.