Does anyone recognize this foreign patch on a US Ike jacket?

vintageproductions

vintageproductions

I had a lady bring her dad's Ike jacket in today.

Nothing real special. 5th army on one sleeve, 7th army on the other. Three place ribbon bar (Good conduct, Eur-Med ribbon with three stras and a French ribbon). The collar brass was US & Arty, and I believe there were regular sgt chevrons on the sleeve.

But on the lower right cuff is this patch. It is chain stitched on a silky twill background, but not like those souvenir travelling patches.

Does anyone recognize it?

Thanks in advance.

Bob

foreign.jpg

vintageproductions

No, and she barely knew anything about her Dad's service.

She said that he had dementia at the end of his life, and never told her or her brothers anything about his service.

She also had his trench art engraved canteen cup which followed his whole path through WWII.

Here's same 1st French Army insignia on khaki shirt (eBay listing).

post-13797-1336747793.jpg

The ones I have came from a TD veteran who told me the French Army "awarded" them to US units that

had fought to liberate the Colmar Pocket,Alsace, France. I guess some GI's chose to wear them while others did not.

My grandfather told me the French were kinda crazy. At night his unit would be observing strict noise and light discipline and the French would have a huge bonfire with all their vehicles circled around it dancing, roasting chickens, drinking, and singing. He said he never did hear of them being attacked either. He figured it was either dumb luck or the German's thought it was some kind of trap. :D

The ones I have came from a TD veteran who told me the French Army "awarded" them to US units that

had fought to liberate the Colmar Pocket,Alsace, France. I guess some GI's chose to wear them while others did not.

You're quite correct in Americans receiving French awards for liberation of Colmar. There is also an "Association Rhin & Danube" that recognized GIs.

Last summer I found a bunch of documents issued by this French association to a US WIA 3rd ID soldier who lost a leg at Colmar. This vet was awarded a Croix de Guerre in 1945 and in the late 1980s received awards from the Rhin et Danube Association in "remembrance of your participation in combat for the Victory of Colmar--Liberation of France." He received correspondence from General Andre Sciard, a heavy Colmar medal, an illustrated history book, and a large certificate.

It would not surprise me if these patches were also given out in thanks for their role in liberation.

-Johannes

post-9214-1337044445.jpg

• 2 years later...