Lordship Industries hallmarks

mvmhm

Does anyone know the time period that Lordship Industries/Products used the hallmark "Lordship NY-GI"?????? I believe it to be sometime in the 1980's. Thanks for the help!

Mark sends

DakotaDave
Does anyone know the time period that Lordship Industries/Products used the hallmark "Lordship NY-GI"?????? I believe it to be sometime in the 1980's. Thanks for the help!

Mark sends

They used HLP as their hallmark while their corporate name was "His Lordships Products" until about 1973, they then changed their name to "Lordship Industries" and their hallmark to LI.

Hope this helps.

DakotaDave

They used HLP as their hallmark while their corporate name was "His Lordships Products" until about 1973, they then changed their name to "Lordship Industries" and their hallmark to LI.

Hope this helps.

DakotaDave

Thanks...but I need to know the years that the above hall mark was used...I've seen one other entry about a medal with the same marking, but no dates were given then either...

Mark sends

As far as I know, only the Medal of Honor had the stamp that included the N.Y.C. as part of the actual hallmark and usually were marked as: 1/100F 10K G.F. H.L.P. N.Y.C. I have only seen this hallmark on the Army version and I think its early 1960's era.

I'm not sure if any Navy MoH were were marked as such and I believe the mark preceeded the Air Force MoH which didn't come out until after November 1965 (1st awarded in 1967).

With the other medals, in general:

- The rim marked H.L.P. medals were roughly early to mid-60's till 1966 or thereabout.

- The government directed all manufacturers to start putting hallmarks on the reverse brooch and no longer on the medal pendant in the late 1960's. Around the same time, they also added the requirement of putting the "- GI" (Government Inspected) to the hallmark.

* I should note that I have seen an Air Force MoH rim marked "HLP" and it's in dated 12/76 box of issue. Perhaps because these were not awarded in great quantities, that they had enough of these in stock and just continued to issue them into the 1970's, I don't really know.

- The HLP-GI brooch hallmark are circa 1967 through the 1970's.

The company changed it's name from "His Lordship Products Inc." to "Lordship Industries" in this timeframe. I don't know the exact date but I think around 1977 to early 1978.

- The LI-GI brooch hallmark are circa early to late 1980's.

- I believe the LIGI (without hyphen) brooch hallmark is circa 1990's up till the company officially lost it's government contract in 1996.

Some examples that I've personally seen include the following, and are based on either contract date or DSA/DLA numbering (Fiscal Year) on the box of issue:

- I've seen the H.L.P. rim stamps as early as 11/64 to 1966.

- I've seen the HLP-GI as early as 10/67 to 4/78

- I've seen the LI-GI as early as 1/78 to 1/86

- I've seen the LIGI (no hyphen) on late 80's to 90's medals which was their last hallmark prior to losing the government contract.

Keep in mind that it would be impossible to give exact dates on these, as various companies moved at different paces and you have to consider the items that were already in production or in shipping at the time new requirements or policy changed.

Hope that helps answer your question.

Tim

I'll have to take a picture and show you guys...it's on a crimp brooch Purple Heart...it doesn't have LI, LIGI, LI-GI at all..it has "Lordship NY - GI"......

Mark sends

MilitaryWired

I know exactly what you are talking about & was curious about the same thing. I have 2 NASA medals with the same hallmark... they literally read "LORDSHIP" "NY - GI". I was eventually going to post the same question on the forum since none of the above references discuss this specific hallmark. Of all the lordship hallmarks, I have only encountered this particular one a handful of times.

10035brooch1.jpg

10035brooch.jpg

10039brooch.jpg

10039brooch1.jpg

That is interesting! I have never seen that hallmark before. Of course, I don't collect NASA medals but if it's on a Purple Heart...?

Tim

FrankEaton01

I believe that particular hallmark was used by Lordship in the mid-1980s. It's used on the first "For Presentation Only" Joint Service Achievement Medals, which were produced in 1984/85.

61e6ca56.jpg

392a07de.jpg

Great example Dave!

Yes, I would tend to agree that its a later hallmark, as I have never seen it on older medals/sets. Is it only on the decorations and not campaign/service medals?

Tim

Huzzah! That's it....yes, the one I'm talking about is on a Purple Heart...I'll see if any of the pictures I took came out...and if so will post them here....

Mark sends

Well, you're gonna have to take my word for it...can't get a clear enough shot with teh camera I have...but it is on a Purple Heart....

Mark sends

Unknown Soldier

Our friend in Virginia has sold a ton of medals with this upside down hallmark.

Coincidence? Maybe. Maybe not.

Unknown Soldier
OK...I give up..what are you talking about???

Mark sends

He's sold a ton of medals with this exact same maker mark in this upside down position. He's been well known for making his own supply.

• 8 years later...
On 5/9/2012 at 9:02 AM, Tim B said:

As far as I know, only the Medal of Honor had the stamp that included the N.Y.C. as part of the actual hallmark and usually were marked as: 1/100F 10K G.F. H.L.P. N.Y.C. I have only seen this hallmark on the Army version and I think its early 1960's era.

I'm not sure if any Navy MoH were were marked as such and I believe the mark preceeded the Air Force MoH which didn't come out until after November 1965 (1st awarded in 1967).

With the other medals, in general:

- The rim marked H.L.P. medals were roughly early to mid-60's till 1966 or thereabout.

- The government directed all manufacturers to start putting hallmarks on the reverse brooch and no longer on the medal pendant in the late 1960's. Around the same time, they also added the requirement of putting the "- GI" (Government Inspected) to the hallmark.

* I should note that I have seen an Air Force MoH rim marked "HLP" and it's in dated 12/76 box of issue. Perhaps because these were not awarded in great quantities, that they had enough of these in stock and just continued to issue them into the 1970's, I don't really know.

- The HLP-GI brooch hallmark are circa 1967 through the 1970's.

The company changed it's name from "His Lordship Products Inc." to "Lordship Industries" in this timeframe. I don't know the exact date but I think around 1977 to early 1978.

- The LI-GI brooch hallmark are circa early to late 1980's.

- I believe the LIGI (without hyphen) brooch hallmark is circa 1990's up till the company officially lost it's government contract in 1996.

Some examples that I've personally seen include the following, and are based on either contract date or DSA/DLA numbering (Fiscal Year) on the box of issue:

- I've seen the H.L.P. rim stamps as early as 11/64 to 1966.

- I've seen the HLP-GI as early as 10/67 to 4/78

- I've seen the LI-GI as early as 1/78 to 1/86

- I've seen the LIGI (no hyphen) on late 80's to 90's medals which was their last hallmark prior to losing the government contract.

Keep in mind that it would be impossible to give exact dates on these, as various companies moved at different paces and you have to consider the items that were already in production or in shipping at the time new requirements or policy changed.

Hope that helps answer your question.

Tim

Dear Tim

Could you help me to date this EGA MARINES marked L.I.G.I that is attatched in a USMC garrison cap with DSA... 69?? 

IMG_20201123_205042.jpg

IMG_20201123_205304.jpg

IMG_20201123_154200.jpg

IMG_20201123_154522.jpg

IMG_20201123_154221.jpg