Curtiss P-40 Warhawk

Hawk914

If you have any P-40 photos that you'd like to share, be they from your collection, the web, or from other sources, please post them in this thread...

What better way to start than with the XP-40 in its original configuration?

XP-40001.jpg

Project 914 Archives (Steve O. Reno collection)

Fade to Black...

This is serial number 39-160, the fifth production P-40. As there were no YP-40s built, this ship was utilized as a service test model along with several other early production examples and was also one of very few P-40s to be delivered to the USAAC unpainted.

P-4039-160001.jpg

Fade to Black...

On the Hunt...

OnTheHunt.jpg

Fade to Black...

P-40 assigned to the 77th Pursuit Squadron's 'C' flight commander.

P-4077PS001.jpg

Fade to Black...

Hawaiian Hawks

P-40Bs of the 44th Pursuit Squadron, 18th Pursuit Group patrol the skies above Hawaii on August 1st, 1941.

HawaiianHawks001.jpg

A closer look...

HawaiianHawks001z.jpg

Fade to Black...

These are scanned from the yearbook of the 10th Pursuit Wing at Hamilton Field Ca. 1941. These one's are of the ships of the 77th Pursuit squadron.

post-1949-1200172300.jpg

Oh man... I'd kill for that book... what did you say your address was? Hehe...

Those are pretty groovy... that head on shot of the P-40 especially so. Your second image shows a P-40 of the 77th PS on the left, and the bare metal bird is a P-36 which looks to be from the 35th PG.

Would you be able to make larger scans of these? I'd like to try and study them in detail if possible. I'm especially interested in the data block on the P-36 and the under-wing designators on the P-40 in the head-on shot.

Either way, this is super groovy stuff... thanks for posting...

Fade to Black...

By golly, that is a P-36. Well, it's the daddy of the P-40 so what they hey. Using a magnifying glass I see that it's serial numer is "38 - 27" Looked that one up and it sez the plane was out in Hawaii later that year and was destroyed when the Japanese paid a visit to Wheeler Field.

Will

PS.. On the underwing of the head-on P-40, I believe it says "COP19" (?) I see the number 19 on the wheel chocks so that part checks; am I to assume the "CO" stands for what I think it does?

PS.. On the underwing of the head-on P-40, I believe it says "COP19" (?) I see the number 19 on the wheel chocks so that part checks; am I to assume the "CO" stands for what I think it does?

It's tough to see the first character, even on the larger scan you sent me, but it undoubtedly says '20P19'... the '20P' is for the 20th Pursuit Group, and the '19' is a plane-in-group number, which most likely makes that ship property of the 55th PS. I wanted to see the underwing designator to compare with the number on the chocks... and they do indeed match. Interesting...

I hadn't looked up the serial on that P-36 yet, so thanks much for the info. And thanks for the larger scans!

More photos coming soonly...

Fade to Black...

Here's a picture from the summer of 1944. A finnish war booty aircraft taken from the russians in 1943. It was in service between 1944-1945. As far as I know the finns had only one P-40. Notice the finnish airforce symbol, a light blue swastika on white background. It was used in the years 1918-1945 and had nothing to do with the nazi movement.

/Paul

post-829-1200594102.jpg

If you have any P-40 photos that you'd like to share, be they from your collection, the web, or from other sources, please post them in this thread...

What better way to start than with the XP-40 in its original configuration?

XP-40001.jpg

Fade to Black...

• 4 weeks later...
Here is a P-40F flying off the USS Chenango to North Africa in 1942-43, the second is of an 'F' inflight, enjoy, Mark

Cool, that first shot I'd not seen before. Thanks for posting it!

Here's a picture from the summer of 1944. A finnish war booty aircraft taken from the russians in 1943. It was in service between 1944-1945. As far as I know the finns had only one P-40. Notice the finnish airforce symbol, a light blue swastika on white background. It was used in the years 1918-1945 and had nothing to do with the nazi movement.

/Paul

I believe I may have another image or two of that ship... including a shot showing it before the Finnish markings were added. FYI, it's a P-40M and yes, it was the only P-40 the Finns had.

Alrighty, here's another Hawk. This P-40 was assigned to the 35th PS, 8th PG...

P-40-CU35PS8PG001a1.jpg

Fade to Black...

Charlie Flick

Here is a P-40 wearing the popular shark's teeth most often associated with the Flying Tigers. This bird was, however, photographed at Guadalcanal in June, 1943. I have no information on the Squadron or other particulars. Note the bullet hole.

Regards,

Charlie Flick

P_40_Guadalcanal_6_43_ed.jpg

HI

Here an Brazilian P-40E used during WW2 in Natal AFB,north of Brasil.

One of the 6 P-40E of the Brazilian Air Force and were used during the war as patrol in South Atlantic operations.

The Brazilian AF Sargent Abelar da Costa Pitanga and the USAAF Mechanic Arnold Herwitt are working near the shark....

The brazilian P-40E received the BAF numbers 4020 to 4025.

Good luck for all Friends.

Paulo B-25J

post-2118-1203107962.jpg

Charlie, very few units in the Pacific flew the P-40F. I think this is from the 44th Fighter Squadron or the 68th F.S, both of which flew this model from Guadalcanal in '43. They were both part of the 13th AF. Hope this helps, Mark

Here is a P-40 wearing the popular shark's teeth most often associated with the Flying Tigers. This bird was, however, photographed at Guadalcanal in June, 1943. I have no information on the Squadron or other particulars. Note the bullet hole.

Regards,

Charlie Flick

post-68-1202832952.jpg

Paulo, thanks much for posting that F.A.B. P-40E. I'm not sure if I've seen that one before...

Charlie, as Mark stated, your photo shows a P-40F of either the 44th or 68th FS. I'm leaning towards the 44th. Here's a few other similar shark-mouthed Hawks. Most, if not all, of these are from the 44th FS.

44FS000.jpg

From Corbis.com

44FS001.jpg

Project 914 Archives (via J. Cook)

44FS002.jpg

44FS003.jpg

44FS004.jpg

By the way, that 'bullet hole' is actually a vent of some sort... haven't figured out exactly what it is yet. Merlin-powered P-40s had this vent on the starboard side just under the front exhaust, while Allison-powered variants had a similar vent farther aft. This thing was basically a tube that protruded a bit from the cowling, with a small aerodynamic fairing surrounding it.

This shot shows the tube, just above the edge of the prop blade.

MerlinRadiator001b.jpg

USAF photo

This shot shows the fairing in place.

P-40Farch1a.jpg

Project 914 Archives

A closer look...

P-40Farch1z1.jpg

Keep 'em comin' folks!

Fade to Black...

Charlie Flick

Mark and Steve:

Thanks for the possible ID on the Squadron.

Steve, good eye on that vent hole. I would never have picked up on that.

Charlie

Steve, good eye on that vent hole. I would never have picked up on that.

I guess you have to be a P-40 geek to know something like that... LOL

Quite understandable, though. The fairing is missing and some of the paint is gone, so it does indeed look like a bullet hole.

Alrighty, next up is a shot inside of one of the Curtiss plants here in Buffalo. The near line has P-40Ns and P-40Ls, while the next line over has P-47Gs.

P-40N42-104582001a.jpg

Project 914 Archives (Steve O. Reno)

Fade to Black...

Here's a shot of a survivor... this photo of Kittyhawk I AK940 was taken by my Dad at the Geneseo Airshow back in 1985...

EarlyMorningHawk001b1.jpg

Photo by Norb 'Bruno' Donacik

Fade to Black...

P-40Fs of the 57th FG share the USS Ranger's flight deck with a few of the flattop's SB2U Vindicators while on their way to North Africa, June 1942...

57FGRanger001a.jpg

Fade to Black...

Hello... here's a P-40 captured by the Japanese in the Philippines. From a Japanese propaganda photo book published in 1943.

Cool, thanks for posting this. I've only seen very small images of this photo, and it's nice to see something larger.

Here's a shot showing the other side of this ship. According to the info that accompanied this image, this is a broadside (single-sided news leaflet) produced by a Japanese newspaper in June of 1942.

japhawk3.jpg

Epay auction image

Here's a rendering done by Japanese artist 'Ta.Gucci' that represents this P-40. He used the wrong variant as his starting point, (It should be a P-40E, not a P-40M) but supposedly the coloration is correct.

img93d7fdefx75eww.jpg

And here's a color shot taken by James G. Weir, showing a captured P-40 found at an airfield near Tokyo at the end of the war.

japhawk2.jpg

From: 'P-40 Warhawk in World War II Color' by Jeff Ethell

Fade to Black...

D'oH... forgot this one...

I believe that this is an earlier Japanese photo which may show the same ship as that in the color photo from my last post...

japhawk1.jpg

From Famous Airplanes of the World (unknown ish)

There are actually a good number of images floating around the net (mostly small and of poor quality) which show Japanese P-40s, but I'll leave those for others to find and post if they care to do so.

Fade to Black...

This is Kittyhawk I AK809, which was built for the British who handed it over to the Canadians. It was assigned the RCAF serial 1035 and served with 118 and 133 Squadrons. This photo was taken while it was with the latter...

1035001a1.jpg

Project 914 Archives

Fade to Black...