M1923 Cartridge belt - "Transitional" Colors

MattOravik

Here is a very nice M1923 cartridge belt I just picked up. The date looks to be 1943 but is hard to make out. Would that be a date found on a two tone M1923?

Actually it could be called three tone since one dark OD is a different shade than the other. LOL.

-Matt.

post-137-1336503178.jpg

Very possible.

I recall seeing a Boyt Marked 1943 dated belt once in the two tone

Absolutely you could see that date on a two tone....which btw are really cool pieces if you ask me.

I once saw a two tone pistol belt! Changed from O.D. #3 to #7 right in the middle of construction. Started to buy it but never did and have always regretted it as I've never seen another.

I love the two tone stuff and own several pieces.

RDarby

'Flage Guy

What a beauty...1943 is the year these "transitional" canvas goods began to become common, due to the cotton/duck shortage necessitating the utilization of all available materials on hand.

I've had a "sickness" for multi-colored web gear for many years.

'Flage Guy

12th, that looks like a killer Belt- and a rare maker, no less :thumbsup:

I like this stuff to the point that I've set aside a whole rack of multi-colored web- and this isn't even all of it:

post-3226-1336574131.jpeg

For any interested, here is a good thread on the subject...

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...?showtopic=2121

Thats an Interesting M-1923 Ammo Belt you have got there love the two tone on the belt

never seen one of those before until now a great piece of combat equipment for the collection :thumbsup:

2ndInf.Div.

This is my two-tone cartridge belt with a very faint date of 1943. As you can tell it's a rather dark OD#3, thought I would chime in my bit of gear as well. You have a pretty darn good example, never seen one like it before (then again I haven't compared a lot of originals :lol: ). Quick question though, most of the OD#3 gear I have (which is very little) is darker than most OD#3 examples I see. Basically my question is did this vary from manufacturer or was it a late war thing?

post-80799-1336953875.jpg

'Flage Guy

2ndInf.:

Each shade of tan and O.D. had a few variants to it, depending on where it was made and who mixed the dye.

Here's an example of differing O.D.#3 shades:

post-3226-1337039104.jpg

'Flage Guy

Same Belt from the front- the Canteen Cover is actually a bisquit brown shade with O.D.#3 trim. The left side of the Belt was obviously made at a different time or different part of the Boyt Co.'s factory, being made of totally variant shades from the right side.

post-3226-1337039338.jpg

2ndInf.Div.
2ndInf.:

Each shade of tan and O.D. had a few variants to it, depending on where it was made and who mixed the dye.

Here's an example of differing O.D.#3 shades:

post-3226-1337039104.jpg

Ah ok, gotcha. I didn't know what was up with the color, thanks for the info! On another note, although I don't have a picture of it, I have an all OD#7 Garand belt with the exception of one side which has OD#3 belt tabs and one flap. It doesn't have the snaps for the clips, and the OD#7 appears to be much darker than the late WWII OD#7, possibly Korean War?

'Flage Guy
Ah ok, gotcha. I didn't know what was up with the color, thanks for the info! On another note, although I don't have a picture of it, I have an all OD#7 Garand belt with the exception of one side which has OD#3 belt tabs and one flap. It doesn't have the snaps for the clips, and the OD#7 appears to be much darker than the late WWII OD#7, possibly Korean War?

I'll bet it's a 1945 "transitional", as that was the year the Army did away with the clip retainer straps.

Below is a "trans" Belt rig, everything dated 1945. Talk about being thrifty with material: the Suspender straps were made from recycled M1A1 Gas Mask Carrier straps.

post-3226-1337470500.jpeg

• 2 years later...

Here is mine, also made by Mills in 1943, but with other markings in first and last flaps ("John ..."), looking like WWI one :

2ewcwuf.jpg

102nygo.jpg

7292rr.jpg

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.