M1923 Cartridge belt - "Transitional" Colors

Here is a very nice M1923 cartridge belt I just picked up. The date looks to be 1943 but is hard to make out. Would that be a date found on a two tone M1923?

Actually it could be called three tone since one dark OD is a different shade than the other. LOL.

-Matt.

post-137-1336503178.jpg

I'm always looking to buy old sets of bagpipes

Very possible.

I recall seeing a Boyt Marked 1943 dated belt once in the two tone

In Memoriam:
Lieutenant J.Kostelec 1-3 First Special Service Force MIA/PD 4 March 1944 Italy
I HAVE SEEN THE ENEMY AND IT IS DAYLIGHT
Forget about the tips..We'll get hell to pay (AC/DC)
"If you cant get out and run with the big dogs then sit on the porch and bark at the cars going by.."

Have you Hugged a Clown Today?

You Cant Get A Sun Tan On The Moon..

I just sold a two-tone USMC marked cartridge belt on the forum....

No date, though....

In memory of Lance Corporal Jeremy S. Lasher, 2nd Battalion, 8th Marine Regiment, 2nd Marine Division, II Marine Expeditionary Force. Killed in Action July 23, 2009, Helmand Province, Afghanistan. Semper Fi

Lance Corporal's 2/8 challenge coin was STOLEN from his grave. Please see the following forum link for details: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/210650-challenge-coin-stolen-from-marine-kia-grave/&do=findComment&comment=1654270

My eBay Auctions: http://shop.ebay.com...s/m.html?_dmd=1

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gif

Absolutely you could see that date on a two tone....which btw are really cool pieces if you ask me.

I once saw a two tone pistol belt! Changed from O.D. #3 to #7 right in the middle of construction. Started to buy it but never did and have always regretted it as I've never seen another.

I love the two tone stuff and own several pieces.

RDarby

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gif

What a beauty...1943 is the year these "transitional" canvas goods began to become common, due to the cotton/duck shortage necessitating the utilization of all available materials on hand.

I've had a "sickness" for multi-colored web gear for many years.

Support our troops...abandoning the War on Terror is not an affordable luxury.

I'm so old, I still call W.W.II U.S. militaria "war surplus".

God's blessings in the Name of our Lord Jesus- Jim Robertson

12th, that looks like a killer Belt- and a rare maker, no less :thumbsup:

I like this stuff to the point that I've set aside a whole rack of multi-colored web- and this isn't even all of it:

post-3226-1336574131.jpeg

For any interested, here is a good thread on the subject...

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...?showtopic=2121

Thats an Interesting M-1923 Ammo Belt you have got there love the two tone on the belt

never seen one of those before until now a great piece of combat equipment for the collection :thumbsup:

http://www.Paratrooper1944.Com/

https://www.facebook.com/paratrooper1944

IN MEMORY OF IRISH/AMERICANS FROM MY COUNTY.
Cpl: Patrick Gallagher, 3rd U.S.M.C Div K.I.A 30/03/1967 Navy Cross
Sgt: Patrick Nevin, B.Co. 1st Bn, 12th Cav, 1st CAVALRY Div K.I.A 23/02/1966

donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gif

This is my two-tone cartridge belt with a very faint date of 1943. As you can tell it's a rather dark OD#3, thought I would chime in my bit of gear as well. You have a pretty darn good example, never seen one like it before (then again I haven't compared a lot of originals :lol: ). Quick question though, most of the OD#3 gear I have (which is very little) is darker than most OD#3 examples I see. Basically my question is did this vary from manufacturer or was it a late war thing?

post-80799-1336953875.jpg

Always interested in items related to the 37th Infantry Division or 145th Infantry Regiment in WWII

"Let them not be forgotten for they have shown the world that freedom is not free"

2ndInf.:

Each shade of tan and O.D. had a few variants to it, depending on where it was made and who mixed the dye.

Here's an example of differing O.D.#3 shades:

post-3226-1337039104.jpg

Same Belt from the front- the Canteen Cover is actually a bisquit brown shade with O.D.#3 trim. The left side of the Belt was obviously made at a different time or different part of the Boyt Co.'s factory, being made of totally variant shades from the right side.

post-3226-1337039338.jpg

2ndInf.:

Each shade of tan and O.D. had a few variants to it, depending on where it was made and who mixed the dye.

Here's an example of differing O.D.#3 shades:

post-3226-1337039104.jpg

Ah ok, gotcha. I didn't know what was up with the color, thanks for the info! On another note, although I don't have a picture of it, I have an all OD#7 Garand belt with the exception of one side which has OD#3 belt tabs and one flap. It doesn't have the snaps for the clips, and the OD#7 appears to be much darker than the late WWII OD#7, possibly Korean War?

Always interested in items related to the 37th Infantry Division or 145th Infantry Regiment in WWII

"Let them not be forgotten for they have shown the world that freedom is not free"

Ah ok, gotcha. I didn't know what was up with the color, thanks for the info! On another note, although I don't have a picture of it, I have an all OD#7 Garand belt with the exception of one side which has OD#3 belt tabs and one flap. It doesn't have the snaps for the clips, and the OD#7 appears to be much darker than the late WWII OD#7, possibly Korean War?

I'll bet it's a 1945 "transitional", as that was the year the Army did away with the clip retainer straps.

Below is a "trans" Belt rig, everything dated 1945. Talk about being thrifty with material: the Suspender straps were made from recycled M1A1 Gas Mask Carrier straps.

post-3226-1337470500.jpeg

• 2 years later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.