Jungle First Aid Kits

USAF29thINFvet

post-6413-1338273909.jpg

Take the cap off and you can see the opening at the top of the bottle has been restricted to about maybe half or less in size. Maybe calling it an applicator top would be more appropriate. When you look at the repro bottles the opening in the throat is the full diameter with no restriction. The wartime fraziers bottles are similar. I had a 2 oz insect repellent handy so I took a picture of that....

I purchased what I thought was an empty Jungle first aid kit, it contained the Iodine, the thing I noticed that is different than the others in this thread is that mine is made of wood not cardboard, photos below

post-9909-1338279332.jpg

I figured if you have a space you need to fill you could wrap the label round a bit of dowel to simulate the iodine container, here's the redraw I made of the label for anyone who's interested.

post-9909-1338279367.jpg

The early issue jungle pouches used the wooden iodine containers. Later on they switched to the paper cardboard covered vials.

Thanks Survival,

That is what I thought they looked like but I just wanted to make sure.

Thank you for taking the time to photograph and upload!

Leonardo

...btw here was the set I was going to purchase on Ebay last month...

..but for some reason I didn't pull the trigger on it, knowing now that there are repos I am very suspect with this set.

Leonardo

post-20589-1338307332.jpg

Thats the same auction that I linked to on E Bay at the top of page 2. I am sure there are other repros out there but at least you have two examples now to avoid buying.

craig_pickrall

Following are three different styles of Iodine Swabs that I have taken photos of. These are boxed. I probably have others that came with kits and will check to see if I can find any photos.

post-5-1338321718.jpg

post-5-1338321727.jpg

craig_pickrall

This is a photo of a JFAK from the manual. It is dated 1943 on the pouch so it has to be a first issue.

post-5-1338322447.jpg

post-5-1338322454.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Am looking to complete an M2 jungle FAK and just found this thread. Would like to repro the wooden iodine container using ChrisNZ's photos and label and would appreciate the overall dimensions (length and dia) of container and label as well as photos of container top and bottom. Can anyone - maybe Chris NZ? - help? Any assistance appreciated!

• 1 year later...

I was digging through my first aid gear today and while I was in there I decided to take another picture of my mint M2 jungle first aid kit with original box, but with all components shown. The previous picture did not show the pouch. FYI, there are 12 bandaids and the iodine bottle is contained in a cardboard sheath, not wood. The pouch is an Avery 1945 dated.

Bob

post-299-0-22189900-1422154235.jpg

Jamie, I am sorry to cause you any additional pain over this subject. I was just extremely lucky to locate, then win two of these kits off of EPay, from the same seller over a two week period, many moons ago. I am not trying to rub it in, but just wanted one good photo on the forum that showed the whole package together, which I did not have until now. Since I have two of the identical kits, I am debating about whether I should let one go to another forum members collection. But I do not know what would be a fair price in today's market, but stay tuned nonetheless.

Bob