Jungle First Aid Kits

USAF29thINFvet

USAF29thINFvet

Anyone here have a list of what was issued in the jungle first aid kits, the pouch type that hung on the belt?

Thanks

Brian

uplandmod

I don't have my reference material with me right now but one WWII list does include the box with the scissors/tweezer/tourniquet set. I included the scissors in my pouch, I keep them under the flap. The Band Aids should go under the flap as well.

I know this site has and excellent reference section on these pouches, I will need to find the link.

Leonardo

Your kit is missing the bandaids and the tape and scissors are add ons.....

The band aid's are in the little flap in the top of the pouch. Forgot they were there.

This came as it was so the scissors and tape were already with it.

Rich

uplandmod
The band aid's are in the little flap in the top of the pouch. Forgot they were there.

This came as it was so the scissors and tape were already with it.

Rich

Nice pouch, I'm just missing the Frasers Solution!

Leonardo

Chief Bast

Judging how next-to-impossible it's been for me to track down one of these kits with the original components, I'm starting to realize that the stock supplies were used up quickly only to be replaced with a wide variety of medical and other miscellaneous items.

Frustrating...

• 2 weeks later...

anybody have any idea how much repro Frasers solution is out there? I have a bottle that looks very minty with a red shrink style wrap. I bought it thinking it was repro....

As far as I know they have never been reproduced although there are a few label variations.

Leonardo

Lists aside, here is a photo of the contents of my unissued Jungle First Aid kit that came right out of this issue box. The pouch is not shown but is the standard belt pouch. They kits don't come any more complete than this, boys.

post-299-1337555979.jpg

post-299-1337556002.jpg

BTW. Here is the actual content list right out of the MED 6 catalog. Notice it matches the contents of the photo I posted above.

post-299-1337556476.jpg

Thanks for posting the pictures of the repros. I believe that there is another repro of the Frazers out there and I will post the link to the auction if I see it again. They are also faking the atabrine labels for the black vials. As far as the jungle kit in the box I have an number of those identical kits I purchased from a dealer in the pacific northwest some years ago. One of his pickers had picked up a master carton somewhere and he was selling them off. I don't know how many he originally had but I think he got tired of selling them one at a time on E Bay so he sold me what he had left at a reasonable price. I don't think a single one had a full bottle of Fraziers. I believe he had told me that the master carton had apparently gotten wet at one time and alot of the kits had been ruined. In addition leaking frazers and insect repellent had ruined a few more. There were a couple different bottles of water tabs, insect repellent, and pouch manufacturers in the lot. But one thing that was identical to all of them was they each had 16 rather then 3 of the stickband bandaids. I also have the label from the master carton somewhere he was kind enought to include.

Necessity is the mother of invention.......

Shameless....! LOL

Thanks for letting know there are repos out there...!

Leonardo

Originals are out there. This is my second full bottle of Frasers solution. It's taken about 4 years in between finding them :crying:

They do show up -just not that often.

Rich

post-1878-1337721765.jpg

Chief Bast
Thanks for posting the pictures of the repros. I believe that there is another repro of the Frazers out there and I will post the link to the auction if I see it again. They are also faking the atabrine labels for the black vials. As far as the jungle kit in the box I have an number of those identical kits I purchased from a dealer in the pacific northwest some years ago. One of his pickers had picked up a master carton somewhere and he was selling them off. I don't know how many he originally had but I think he got tired of selling them one at a time on E Bay so he sold me what he had left at a reasonable price. I don't think a single one had a full bottle of Fraziers. I believe he had told me that the master carton had apparently gotten wet at one time and alot of the kits had been ruined. In addition leaking frazers and insect repellent had ruined a few more. There were a couple different bottles of water tabs, insect repellent, and pouch manufacturers in the lot. But one thing that was identical to all of them was they each had 16 rather then 3 of the stickband bandaids. I also have the label from the master carton somewhere he was kind enought to include.

I'm glad you posted this as I recently saw (what I think) is the same auction on Ebay. My gut feeling kept telling me that the "complete" and "original" jungle kit had a least a repo bottle of Frazer's solution and the wound tablet packet.

post-6413-1337836157.jpg

Here is a jungle kit from the same sellers auction on E Bay and I will try to attach a picture this time. The atabrine vial label, Frazers, and sulfa tabs are repros. The bandaids are Vietnam war era, The iodine container is not the correct style for a Jungle kit, The repellent, water tabs, and carlisle are probably OK. Morphine of course is not an original component of the kit and he does list that as a repro along with the sulfa pills.

Since I'm on a roll I'll share one method to help determine if your frazers bottle is authentic. Unscrew the cap and look inside the bottle. WW2 era bottles will have a restrictor molded into the opening that reduces the amount of liquid that comes out. The newer bottles are wide open. You used to be able to buy cases of the 1oz bottles surplus at the gun shows but as I recall they were not restricted as the pharmacist had to be able to add the medicine into the bottle which is very difficult to do with one that has the restrictor molded into the opening. This is not a 100 per cent method as there are old bottles out there somewhere or ones where the original label is gone.

Anyway we can get a picture of that opening, I would love to see it!

I'm very close in finishing my WWII USMC display together and its one of the last items I need and it will be very helpful.

Thank you!

LF

Just checked both my bottles and they both have the restricted top. That solution also stinks :crying:

I'm only missing the correct iodine vial to put together another complete set.

Rich