WWII U.S. Jackets

Giovanni80

Giovanni80

Hi guys, I wish to buy one Tanker Jacket or an M41 Field Jacket or may be both :rolleyes:

So around the web I found this site: http://www.historypreservation.com/hpassoc...p?page=2#paging

They look to be quite expansive, but they look to be a very good quality replica too...What is it your opinion about this brand? Do I gonna do a good purchase?

http://www.historypreservation.com/hpassoc....php?uniqnum=60

http://www.historypreservation.com/hpassoc...php?uniqnum=349

Thanks

Gio

Buzz Rickson's stuff is exceptionally good, but comes with an overly expensive price tag...

I'd highly recomend going to At The Front for the M41, or to WWII Impressions if you want a tankers jacket. Both make excellent repros that will last you a life time.

Possum

I'd go with At The Front as they will have what you need in stock AND I like the quality.

mpguy80/08

I have both the M1941 and the Winter Combat Jacket from At the Front and I'm pleased with the quality of both.

uplandmod

I'll throw it in as well about the At The Front jackets, I own one and I love it, even sometimes wear it to work from time to time.

Make sure you get the updated version!

Leonardo

redjoshman

When it comes to the Tanker Jacket it seems the best bang for your buck is the newest run of WWII Impressions Tanker Jackets. I own a Buzz Rickson and it is nice however if I was buying one today I would go with the WWII Impressions one as the differences between them are nowhere reflected in the price difference.

When it comes to M41 Field Jackets I have heard good things from At The Front's newest run(however the smaller sizes are a little wonky), WWII Impressions, and Buzz Rickson. I still use originals however if I was going to get a reproduction M1941 Field Jacket today I would probably go with a WWII Impressions one it is made out of the correct materials and just as importantly to me it is also constructed and patterned correctly meaning it has the correct taper without having to shell out that extra money for the Buzz Rickson one.

-Josh

Giovanni80

Thanks all of you guys, for suggestions. I think I will go for ATF for M41, do you know if these jackets are 100% U.S. MADE?

Just for curiosity, are the M41 and the Tanker Jacket made for winter season only?

thanks again

-Gio

Ciao Giovanni! The M41 is NOT a winter jacket...but the tanker jacket is. The M41 was worn in winter time because there was nothing else, but it was totally inadequate. Hence the development of the '43 jacket and liner etc.

redjoshman
Thanks all of you guys, for suggestions. I think I will go for ATF for M41, do you know if these jackets are 100% U.S. MADE?

Buzz Rickson's Jackets are made in Japan

World War II Impression's are made in the USA

At The Front's are made in China(hence some of the weirdness)

-Josh

• 2 months later...

I'm also looking for a M1941 jacket; I am 6'4", 225 lbs and have a 42" chest. I know these jackets are supposed to be kinda short, I was just wondering what size I should go with. If it helps, I wear 16 1/2, 34-35 dress shirts.

Sandlapper

JC1972,

I would highly recommend the At the Front new generation M41 field jacket. It's very nice and easily the closest you can get to an original. I believe Rollin at ATF has larger sizes.

Here are two great articles on the ATF Field Jacket and Buzz Rickson's jackets

http://www.90thidpg.us/Equipment/Reviews/A...Gen2/index.html

http://www.90thidpg.us/Equipment/Reviews/BRM1941/index.html

For what its worth, the ATF jacket detailed in the 2nd gen review is a lemon. Turns out, with exception of that jacket that was reviewed, they DO have the buttons under the collar... An update is forthcoming next week.

Chris-

talontree14
I'm also looking for a M1941 jacket; I am 6'4", 225 lbs and have a 42" chest. I know these jackets are supposed to be kinda short, I was just wondering what size I should go with. If it helps, I wear 16 1/2, 34-35 dress shirts.

I am about your size, 46" chest and 6'2", and I have the 46" At the Front M41. It is one of my favorite jackets to wear. Great for the milder winters in the south and it looks sharp. The jacket I have is a little large with just a t-shirt but with a couple layers it is perfect!

-Christian

Yes, I would advise you the same: At The Front for a M41 jacket, I have one and it's really well made.

They run a bit short / tight, but the real problem with me has been with arms' lenght: so if you have long arms order big.

As for the Tanker jacket...why not What Price Glory one? Seems good to me: stainless zip and not the cheaper brass, darker brownish neck and cuffs...

And it's cheaper than ATF's jacket.

http://www.onlinemilitaria.net/shopexd.asp?id=2039&bc=no

Whoeever you order your jacket through MAKE SURE they have your size in stock so you won't have to wait MONTHS for an item.

For what its worth, the ATF jacket detailed in the 2nd gen review is a lemon. Turns out, with exception of that jacket that was reviewed, they DO have the buttons under the collar... An update is forthcoming next week.

Chris-

Now I'm going to have to get mine out and look! Looking forward to the update, I love you're articles!

talontree14
Yes, I would advise you the same: At The Front for a M41 jacket, I have one and it's really well made.

They run a bit short / tight, but the real problem with me has been with arms' lenght: so if you have long arms order big.

As for the Tanker jacket...why not What Price Glory one? Seems good to me: stainless zip and not the cheaper brass, darker brownish neck and cuffs...

I like that tanker jacket... maybe time to buy another coat :rolleyes:

I own the first generation ATF jacket and I love it. My only issue is the seam that is across the cuffs. Otherwise it is a fantastic jacket and less expensive than the 2nd generation. I've owned it for about three years now and it has held up through all the reenactments that I have done and I don't see it falling apart anytime soon as its high quality materials.

LF

Do you think 44L may work?

EDIT: Never mind, 44L is out of stock

talontree14
Do you think 44L may work?

EDIT: Never mind, 44L is out of stock

I know most places will do exchanges if the size doesn't work. If your size is out go one size bigger!

I know most places will do exchanges if the size doesn't work. If your size is out go one size bigger!

Thanks, I just got off the phone with ATF and they told me they recommend a 42. I gave them my measurements and told them I wear a 43L suit jacket. 42 seems small but I guess that's how the sizing is. Just don't want to lose out on shipping a lot.