Chemical and Marine cart wheels

BC312

I have a Marine cart that i copied from an original and need to get the wheels sorted which are wire spoked wheels. I have been told that these cart wheels are Harley Davidson motorcycle wheels, i was a bit thrown off wondering about the small hubs of the cart wheels and where the drum brakes would fit on the Harley motor cycle wheel, then a friend told me that the cart wheels are in fact Harley Davidson side car wheels. I had a look on eBay to see what was about but i am not sure what i should be looking for as there seems to be quite a few models out there. Any clues? :think:

Johan Willaert
I have a Marine cart that i copied from an original and need to get the wheels sorted which are wire spoked wheels. I have been told that these cart wheels are Harley Davidson motorcycle wheels, i was a bit thrown off wondering about the small hubs of the cart wheels and where the drum brakes would fit on the Harley motor cycle wheel, then a friend told me that the cart wheels are in fact Harley Davidson side car wheels. I had a look on eBay to see what was about but i am not sure what i should be looking for as there seems to be quite a few models out there. Any clues? :think:

HD Wheels were 18" fitted with 18x4.00 tires....

Cart rims were similar with different spokes and hubs, and I seem to recall they might have been 19" rims...

Member Craig Johnson should know for sure...

Marine carts use 19" wheels. The Chemical Warfare Service mortar cart uses 18" wheels.

craig johnson

I have tried to figure out the question about where 18 & 19" rims and hubs came from but never came up with conclusive answers. I do know that the 18" rims on M1A1 Chemical Mortar Carts were for sure used on Harleys. I have a few examples of 45 solo ( think this is correct name 45 solo ) and one set of interchangeable rims that came from M1A1s. My 1938 M4 Cart is the only example I know of and from photographic evidence of the hubcap and the tread pattern I used 18" M1A1 rims on it. Someday another will show up and I might be able to compare part numbers on the hubs.

The hard part about saying these are Harley sidecar rims is even if you see one on the internet there is no way of knowing if the thread size is the same or any other dimensions. I have never been able to do a side by side comparison so for now its just a mystery.

Since you are making a replica you will probably have a better chance of finding 18" rims. These are the ones I see pop up now and again on EBAY. There are no really good Motorcycle shows that I know of in my area so I cant search that way. Most of the time the hubcaps are missing if you find rims on the loose.

One possibility is Hand Cart hubs might be Indian dispatch Tow but once again I dont know rim size, hub size, or hubcap thread size. Hubcap is 6 sided like the M1A1 and M3 series.

indian-dispatch-tow-2-6114-1.jpg

From my very limited or no experience of Harley stuff the sidecar appears to have a fender mounted to it so maybe the hub will work but the rest seems like it would be different.

idharleywlafull3.jpg

M1A1 & M3 series Hubcap

1046478858_wuXGy-L-1.jpg

Feb2012-010-L.jpg

Feb2012-008-M.jpg

Marine Corp Cart

1046480639_BHGb2-L-1.jpg

Marine rim

198180267_uRYcz-O.jpg

Top Marine. Bottom M1A1 M3

IMG5167-L.jpg

Hope this helps a little.

Thinking about it I could make my own wheels from scratch, the rims would be easy to find but i would need a hub to replicate, which would be quite easy to make and fit bearings using a lathe and a indexing tool. One of the custom bike shops could re spoke the wheel, after all its for a cart that would run at walking pace. Making the hub cap would be quite easy to replicate too. How often do the hubs turn up?

craig johnson

The hubs do turn up on there own. The Marine Corp hub with the spindle was an EBAY purchase (only 1 for sale) . Motorcycle builders buy them removed the hub, use the rim and if you are lucky put the hub back up for sale. I met a guy a few years ago that was making motorcycle trailers with Hand Cart rims to pull behind there vintage bikes.

Ive been able to pick up both M1A1 and Marine Corp on the loose. Has taken years of constant looking. Doesn't come easy.

M1A1 and M3

KGrHqVo0E8VTCTKdBPTmON4Zw6012.jpg

I will try and look out for a hub but if i have no luck after a while i may ask you for some dimensions of the hub itself, just the outside measurements.

• 1 year later...