Show some imagination.....please!

Sabrejet

willysmb44

No question you're not a "Hollywood re-enactor" as I know for sure you have been doing USMC long before the TV series. But yeah, I understand why people ask the question because we all know now every USMC re-enactor out there was doing it beforehand.

If Lee is there, then I am sure there will a excellent War Correspondent display. :thumbsup:

Nah, I plan on bringing my MB and setting up some weapons and doing a salute to the Ornance Corps (Assuming the weather is decent, that is). The non-combatant stuff never goes over well at JBLM.

Probably something like I did in 2010 but with the Jeep behind it:

AFD2010display.jpg

Hey boss can I get info on the flight lunch? THANKS!

aye mate..

This is just a empty repro ration for display only, not an edible which i usually do, reason being, i simply cannot get the cans for the products, and use cans from other products that fit closely to the dimensions listed in the copies of the original specifications I have in my possession...This for shipment overseas would be much preferable as a food item would be too weighty and therefore expensive to ship overseas, or anywhere... As for the box, I make that entirely myself, maybe if I come into some money again, I'll approach a printers and do the minimum run thing and get them professionally done, I'll be back here when I finally get this finished, in the meantime, my other projects have taken over!

Paul

willysmb44
Geeks :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t:

I wanted to do a cartoon for WW2 re-enactor magazine that showed a bunch of sci-fi folks going one direction and re-enactors the other, each looking the other group over with raised eyebrows and a thought baloon shared by all, saying, "Get a life." It's all relative, no doubt.

You'd be surprised how much money there is in that photo. You'd easily be able to buy a WW2 Jeep for all the money you're looking at there.

And besides which, we were part of a much larger group of similarly-dressed folks, and we had people snapping shots at us for the better part of an hour straight that evening.

I wanted to do a cartoon for WW2 re-enactor magazine that showed a bunch of sci-fi folks going one direction and re-enactors the other, each looking the other group over with raised eyebrows and a thought baloon shared by all, saying, "Get a life." It's all relative, no doubt.

You'd be surprised how much money there is in that photo. You'd easily be able to buy a WW2 Jeep for all the money you're looking at there.

And besides which, we were part of a much larger group of similarly-dressed folks, and we had people snapping shots at us for the better part of an hour straight that evening.

:thumbsup:

strayduck230
No question you're not a "Hollywood re-enactor" as I know for sure you have been doing USMC long before the TV series. But yeah, I understand why people ask the question because we all know now every USMC re-enactor out there was doing it beforehand.

Nah, I plan on bringing my MB and setting up some weapons and doing a salute to the Ornance Corps (Assuming the weather is decent, that is). The non-combatant stuff never goes over well at JBLM.

Probably something like I did in 2010 but with the Jeep behind it:

AFD2010display.jpg

The Ornance stuff was my next guess. :thumbsup: And yes, all the displays are weather dependent.

And I think we are all geeks for what we enjoy to do. haha. :thumbsup:

Just to take this very interesting discussion along in a slightly different direction, I shall be doing a static display next month as part of an event to commemorate the presence of US troops in my area in WW2. My theme will be the 2nd ID as they were one of the principal units based here before shipping out for D-Day.

http://barryatwar.info/our-next-event/882-2/

I haven't set up such a display for a number of years now so I'm busy planning what to take and how to best display it. I recently had a meeting with one of the organisers who told me that their main consideration was the security of my display, given the potential value of the items. I know, from past experience how "on the ball" one has to be when surrounded by curious members of the public, especially when "Please do not touch" signs are studiously ignored! I just wondered if anyone has ever had items actually stolen or damaged in this way. Apart from obvious things like vigilance, do you have any tips to pass on? Thanks!

post-8022-1336715810.jpgpost-8022-1336715821.jpg

strayduck230

I have never had anything stolen. For awhile I had a resin and fiberglass mock up of a 1919a4 on my GPW. At an event I turned my head to talk to another group member and I turn around just in time to see some guy loosen pintle mount, grab the grip of the 1919, turn it, and pull the trigger.... needless to say he broke the trigger off a very well done replica. And he thought it was funny. But not only did he touch what he should not have been touching, IT WAS A "MACHINE GUN" WITH A BELT OF AMMO HANGING OUT OF IT!!!! He obviously thought it was real enough to touch and turn it... yes all the ammo was dummy.... But did he know that? Did he know the thing was totally fake?? He "pulled the trigger" on what looked like a live and loaded weapon. That was a great conversation that followed.

Of course, I was to blame because I "didn't have it clearly labeled what not to touch".... :think: And this wasn't a kid, a guy probably in his early 40s... My only bad experience with my years of displays... Could have been much worse, but this is what sent me over the edge.

I am sure others have had much worse happen which is never good when someone is sharing their hobby.

I have never had anything stolen. For awhile I had a resin and fiberglass mock up of a 1919a4 on my GPW. At an event I turned my head to talk to another group member and I turn around just in time to see some guy loosen pintle mount, grab the grip of the 1919, turn it, and pull the trigger.... needless to say he broke the trigger off a very well done replica. And he thought it was funny. But not only did he touch what he should not have been touching, IT WAS A "MACHINE GUN" WITH A BELT OF AMMO HANGING OUT OF IT!!!! He obviously thought it was real enough to touch and turn it... yes all the ammo was dummy.... But did he know that? Did he know the thing was totally fake?? He "pulled the trigger" on what looked like a live and loaded weapon. That was a great conversation that followed.

Of course, I was to blame because I "didn't have it clearly labeled what not to touch".... :think: And this wasn't a kid, a guy probably in his early 40s... My only bad experience with my years of displays... Could have been much worse, but this is what sent me over the edge.

I am sure others have had much worse happen which is never good when someone is sharing their hobby.

Thanks for that. As you are well aware, it's firearms which tend to attract the most attention. Here in the UK they are all deactivated by law, so there are no safety issues as with "live" weapons. About ten years ago I did an infantryman display and my M1 rifle was laid across the table with clearly printed "Do Not Touch" signs strategically placed....and yet seems like everyone who came close reached out to touch it...especially kids! Anyway, at the end of the day, as I was packing it all away, I noticed that the cocking lever had jumped its track and had jammed solid!! It's one of those things which you couldn't do even if you tried...but during the course of the day, somehow someone had!! However, I have a WW2 FM for the M1 so when I got home I stripped it down and was thankfully able to put the lever back in its track. Lesson learned!! :w00t:

Johan Willaert

Dug up some pictures of my re-enacting days from 1982 to 1992....
ANY impression was out of the ordinary back then....

1992 Ranger impression.... Yes, Rangers in 1992!!! I guess that's where Spielberg got inspiration... ;)

All original, including the Assault Jacket!! :w00t:

post-92-1336723121.jpg

Johan Willaert

How about Operation Greif; Otto Skorzeny's PanzerBrigade 150 during the Bulge....

Note the loose chinstrap and yellow triangle marking on the Jeep...

post-92-1336723384.jpg

Those are great impressions Johan! Today's reenactors can literally "buy" a Ranger off the shelf...that's progress?! :o Early / pre-war and late war scenarios such as yours also seem to be sadly neglected today...as does the N. African campaign.

Those are great impressions Johan! Today's reenactors can literally "buy" a Ranger off the shelf...that's progress?! :o Early / pre-war and late war scenarios such as yours also seem to be sadly neglected today...as does the N. African campaign.

Morning Ian

Have you thought that it might be your not getting around the right shows mate.

Can almost garantee what ever we do today has been done before, the aims there for is to do it to the best of ones ability.

2763534410102477265S600x600Q85.jpg

2954462800102477265S600x600Q85.jpg

2077433300102477265S600x600Q85.jpg

2951813930102477265S600x600Q85.jpg

2054530540102477265S600x600Q85.jpg

Johan Willaert
Been there, done that.

Aha, time to scan those photos from the Mourmelon Militaria Festivals in the late 80s and early 90s :lol:

People could have mistaken us for twins back then.... :lol:

Mourmelon Militaria Festival 1988 and 1989...

post-92-1336725427.jpg

post-92-1336725432.jpg

Great pics and impressions as usual Lee...but they aren't at "public" shows...are they? Looks more like private manoeuvres? I probably get to four of five events per year, the two "biggies" (W&P and Miltary Odyssey) plus Stoneleigh and Malvern maybe? So, admittedly I don't get to see everything that's going on out there, but there are certain scenarios which are less commonly done...know what I mean? Though I accept that someone will probably say they did a Pearl Harbor impression or Operation Varsity etc. I can only speak as I find! Anyway, the thread has thrown up a lot of interesting ideas and opinions which is great! Thanks for adding your archive pics.

Johan Willaert

The sign on the last picture above says: Camp Pittsburgh, which was the American name of the camp at Mourmelon, France in 1945....

Thousands of GIs passed through it at the end of the war and close to where that group picture was taken, an original dog tag was found by one of my group members.... It has been in my collection ever since....

Here it is...

post-92-1336725625.jpg

Great pics and impressions as usual Lee...but they aren't at "public" shows...are they? Looks more like private manoeuvres? I probably get to four of five events per year, the two "biggies" (W&P and Miltary Odyssey) plus Stoneleigh and Malvern maybe? So, admittedly I don't get to see everything that's going on out there, but there are certain scenarios which are less commonly done...know what I mean? Though I accept that someone will probably say they did a Pearl Harbor impression or Operation Varsity etc. I can only speak as I find! Anyway, the thread has thrown up a lot of interesting ideas and opinions which is great! Thanks for adding your archive pics.

All the above are Public shows Ian.

However you wont find us at W&P, Victory Show, or any of the other bigger events, other than Kelmarsh.

The pictures shown are only going back a couple of years, a little further back we covered 11th Airborne and 509th and next year will see those units coming out again. We do few private events and they are based around training for the Public events or a specific task.

Kind Regards

Lee

That explains it then! Re the 101st thing and harking back to my original post, your group are an object lesson as to how it should be done... attention to detail right across the board. I was referring to the army of "506ers" who seem to parade around most British shows these days simply as a pose...you must have seen them yourself on many occasions? That's why I referred to the likes of your group as "bona fide reenactors" as opposed to the "wannabes"...there's a world of difference b' twixt the two!!

That explains it then! Re the 101st thing and harking back to my original post, your group are an object lesson as to how it should be done... attention to detail right across the board. I was referring to the army of "506ers" who seem to parade around most British shows these days simply as a pose...you must have seen them yourself on many occasions? That's why I referred to the likes of your group as "bona fide reenactors" as opposed to the "wannabes"...there's a world of difference b' twixt the two!!

And then theres those re-enactors who have wet damp patches on their knees in their otherwise pristine shiny new trousers :lol:

All said and done, integrity, as long as you do yer impression with integrity, I got that from Bill Story, FSSF veteran...