Show some imagination.....please!

Sabrejet

This is my 2nd shot at this; the first effort began to look really bad.

Pictured is an airshow airplane I used to take care of, one of the most popular at our local area fly~ins because people could actually get on it, walk through and do so for free. And we offered rides. The guns? Wrong. The airplane? Wrong. But did anyone really care? Well, Mike Dillon {http://www.dillonaero.com/} would come by and chide me about it but we're old friends and the crowd would enjoy the banter. Whenever someone asked me about accuracy I would answer honestly giving the actual history of the plane we were on as well as the mission it was depicting and then the more recent histories of the DC~3/AC~47s {http://www.baslerturbo.com/}. I preferred to not wear any of my Vietnam period uniforms because I felt it would take away from the story of the aircraft but I had some of them on display thoughout the plane as well as a loaner from a SF SonTay raider. However, the owners insisted I wear a uniform whenever we flew passengers so I wore an old Nomex since I didn't have any K~2Bs of the right size.

Am I being disrespectful of those who came before me? Not in my mind and my mind is the one that counts here. The most fun I ever had was getting to fly my plane with my Father back in the '80s and again fifteen years later when I strapped him into a T~6 one last time. These are the things I have in mind when I consider putting on a uniform from an era that predates myself even being a twinkle in my Father's eye. Might this also be the situation for some of these people? Is there an unspoken tribute? How much of this is really my business? Okay, maybe one recommendation; get rid of the shades.

Sorry, fellas; I just can't be so judgemental. I have a lot of fun doing what I do knowing that as I get older others will eventually judge me for what I have enjoyed doing for so many years. Too bad for them because I know if I'm having fun so they might actually be the ones missing out by not joining me.

And if we get snotty just remember something we sometimes forget.....WE'RE OLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

post-54272-1337373540.png

I have been watching this thread for a while now and find that WW2 re-enacting quite frustrating in what it portrays as WW2, it always seems to be Airborne Airborne and more Airborne, don’t get me wrong, I’ve done Airborne 506, many years ago just before SPR but felt it was time to do something else, that I could get away with before my age and love handles that sprouted out by my sides caught up with me. When you look at photos of airborne guys during WW2 these were elitist units, they were fit as mustard, they went through training programs that would give most of us a heart attack on the first day, these were very fit young men. Most of what I see today would make great Ernie Piles (my self included). I actual find it a cringe factor when I see Granddads, fatties and lardys in elitist kit, they would have certainly not reached the getting on the plane stage let alone jumping out, surely they themselves must know and the group, no matter how well they do their research and how much money they have for original kit that they should get a reality check and think about moving on to do an impression they can get away with, are they really kidding themselves and others. It seems that groups that portray these elitist groups take on anyone and don’t give the poor guy a pep talk or something, ie (there’s a good infantry group down the road who will take you on). Don’t underestimate the MOPS as well, there are quite a few people out there who have bigger collections than most re-actors all bunched together and know more than most groups put together, it’s not just families with kids who you can fob off.

People talk about having original kit to show off but this is no excuse to cover up a physic that is not in keeping of the time. I rather see a late teenager in good replica gear than someone covering up their lard and age because they have original kit. Some can get away with it some can’t.

Those of us who are unfortunate can get away with their age and lard if they joined or formed one of the great unrecognised units that have done more during the war than some of the airborne units. Unfortunately forming one of these excellent infantry units , American or British etc is very difficult as new recruits are very starry eyed with Airborne. I have spoken to re-enactors who thought it would be great to form something new and original but can’t get even a handful of body’s to much, unless you do it yourself, I done the 30th infantry and thought about the Italian campaign the 36th T patchers but no ones interested., which is very hard work and lonely. Maybe our friend in Hollywood, Spielberg should make new war movies featuring the average grunt and unit in North Africa, Italy, Burma, etc; in the mean time I am watching the paint dry on the wall.

I have been watching this thread for a while now and find that WW2 re-enacting quite frustrating in what it portrays as WW2, it always seems to be Airborne Airborne and more Airborne, don’t get me wrong, I’ve done Airborne 506, many years ago just before SPR but felt it was time to do something else, that I could get away with before my age and love handles that sprouted out by my sides caught up with me. When you look at photos of airborne guys during WW2 these were elitist units, they were fit as mustard, they went through training programs that would give most of us a heart attack on the first day, these were very fit young men. Most of what I see today would make great Ernie Piles (my self included). I actual find it a cringe factor when I see Granddads, fatties and lardys in elitist kit, they would have certainly not reached the getting on the plane stage let alone jumping out, surely they themselves must know and the group, no matter how well they do their research and how much money they have for original kit that they should get a reality check and think about moving on to do an impression they can get away with, are they really kidding themselves and others. It seems that groups that portray these elitist groups take on anyone and don’t give the poor guy a pep talk or something, ie (there’s a good infantry group down the road who will take you on). Don’t underestimate the MOPS as well, there are quite a few people out there who have bigger collections than most re-actors all bunched together and know more than most groups put together, it’s not just families with kids who you can fob off.

People talk about having original kit to show off but this is no excuse to cover up a physic that is not in keeping of the time. I rather see a late teenager in good replica gear than someone covering up their lard and age because they have original kit. Some can get away with it some can’t.

Those of us who are unfortunate can get away with their age and lard if they joined or formed one of the great unrecognised units that have done more during the war than some of the airborne units. Unfortunately forming one of these excellent infantry units , American or British etc is very difficult as new recruits are very starry eyed with Airborne. I have spoken to re-enactors who thought it would be great to form something new and original but can’t get even a handful of body’s to much, unless you do it yourself, I done the 30th infantry and thought about the Italian campaign the 36th T patchers but no ones interested., which is very hard work and lonely. Maybe our friend in Hollywood, Spielberg should make new war movies featuring the average grunt and unit in North Africa, Italy, Burma, etc; in the mean time I am watching the paint dry on the wall.

Where are ye based, the FSSF group in the UK, based in Watford, but also a couple of members in Scotland have done the T patchers, as well as non gucci laundry and other services, and mostly MTO/Italy/S. France...PM me if yer in the UK..

BTW, agree wi yer post, big time...

battlebaby99

Paratroopers are far too many in the hobby, next is Rangers of WW II. Hollywood made them SEXY and the IN thing, excellent PR. I am greatful that their name will go on forever and not be lost to history. We too have to reenact the forgotten units before it is too late and their history is lost.

So natural reenacting is the same. In CW everybody wants to be rebels or Irish or Black Hats Brigade, I retired from CW in 1999.

We have our Remagen Bridge event and with it no paratroopers inpressions for the US can be used. The units who come are common Infantry, armored, medics ect. for Remagen. Being honest all paratroopers units should have a basic Regular Infantry Impression for other battles. In CW I and many other had early mid and late war Union impressions. We to carry private coats and sgt or corporal coats if we needed. I so love units with 2 Louies, 5 Sgt's, no cpl and a private. The Vets laugh at this. Being honest from reenacting 20 years even the REAL WW II or Korean War vETS hate the paratroopers. As a hospital orderly I chat to them everyday. They WERE ALL BAND OF BROTHERS, they trained just as hard and fought just as hard and far harder the the paratroopers.If you want to make a Veteran mad say the 101 was the Band of Brothers , you might get the cold shoulder fast.The paras got to head to the rear while the common dogfaces can't and paid the prices with massive losses.

One a fun note, Who/ what was IKE'S FAVORITE PARATROOPER UNIT?? If you get this your read his book.

Pat

Re BC312's post above, I believe he is referring to this kind of thing?

post-8022-1337435964.jpg

Yes :blink: As with the title of this topic 'show some imagination please'. Do re-enactors have a look in the mirror now and then or at least look at photo's of the event and think its time to go on a diet (quite difficult) shave their hair and get rid of the grey (invasion cut) or move on to a infantry group or do an MP impression ( much easier choice which you can go on continuing re-enacting) etc. As Jumpwings knocks the nail on the head its Gucci cliche re-enacting but try tell some people this, they are convinced they are doing no wrong, some times i am surprised at those who run groups let this happen, it must give a group a bad reputation to see such a sight and create group politics that ruin a group.

As for another cringe factor Kids dressed up in full gear taking part in battles and acting as a kind of mascot in parades, did this happen back then or did i miss a page in the history book :rolleyes: Most kids that partispated during the war only got to peer through the camp perimeter fencing.

On a lighter note anyone fancy doing Buck Privates or Private SNAFU :w00t:

I actual find it a cringe factor when I see Granddads, fatties and lardys in elitist kit, they would have certainly not reached the getting on the plane stage let alone jumping out, surely they themselves must know and the group, no matter how well they do their research and how much money they have for original kit that they should get a reality check and think about moving on to do an impression they can get away with, are they really kidding themselves and others.

Wow. This is the type of post I was talking about. You should be ashamed of yourself making fun of someone because of their age & weight. So what you are saying is that in the "make believe, not real, Army dress up" you have to be an 18-28 year old skinny man to be able to pretend to be "In the Army"? That is, in order to truly represent a particular unit.

Love those red coats..."Redcoats" even! Which one is you?

Sorry for the delay! I dropped the thread-I am second from left. Being "folically challenged" myself, I missed my century and the ability to wear my peruke all the time :)

Per the Signal Corps Photographer, yes my first career was as a newspaper photographer in the late 80s early 90s. Hence the interest and the fact I am too long in the tooth to portray the average soldier or Marine during the war motivated me to choose that impression.

Fielding

Love those red coats..."Redcoats" even! Which one is you?

Sorry for the delay! I dropped the thread-I am second from left. Being "folically challenged" myself, I missed my century and the ability to wear my peruke all the time :)

Per the Signal Corps Photographer, yes my first career was as a newspaper photographer in the late 80s early 90s. Hence the interest and the fact I am too long in the tooth to portray the average soldier or Marine during the war motivated me to choose that impression.

Fielding

battlebaby99

The 17th Airborne is the answer Mack. I see the talk of age in WW II, Civil War is far ,far worse for weight problems and extreme age if we want to chose this topic.

In my WW II unit Pappy is 87 year old WW II Vet, Marketgarden, Bulge. He is active and in shape for his age. For new recruits we do look at their health problems for their sake and ours also. We had to turn away people with health problems and yes some were extreme weight issues. To reenact in any era you have to be health to a point average at least.

Heading to out training afternoon. -- Pat

Health and safety is paramount in this day and age. "Mature" reenactors, no matter how keen or fit they appear, would be best advized not to attempt the undertake the potentially strenuous stuff the younger guys take in their stride unless they are properly checked out first. No sense in "dying with your boots on" ...and I speak as a reasonably fit and not overweight 59 1/2 year old!! :w00t:

I saw Lee's group - FAAA in action at the weekend. Very impressive - they really do set the benchmark. :thumbsup:

Rich

Thanks Rich for your kind words.

There are as many good groups out there that are as good or better and I think the majority of groups are trying their best, a few are not. It has to be about just doing your best and not geting stuck to one impression.

Last Month we were 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment and Airborne, this month we were 41st Armoured Infantry Regiment and not!

DSC01147.jpg

Hi Lee. What pyrotechnics do you use to get the bazooka blast? Whatever it is, it looks very effective!

Ian

Our Pyro officer could tell you more Ian, he will be in Normandy with us, what you can not see is the rocket leaving the tube.

LB

Sgt_Rock_EasyCo

My core group of guys is varied. Some of us are primarily 82nd A/B 505th and the rest do primarily 1st ID with a secondary of 82nd. However we do a range of units for Korea as well as Vietnam.

Eight of us are performing the firing party detail at two different US Memorial Day Events. Our theme is the Korean War. We'll have one generic US Army, one Armored Crew (helmet and all), a couple are doing USMC, and two 187th Airborne, US Navy and perhaps one Cav guy. Not sure all the units but it varies.

Our Vietnam units consist of 5th ID, Special Forces, two of us do 173rd AB, and also generic Vietnam for USMC, Army and Navy.

We cover US Revolution (one or two guys) all the way to modern day units of a wide variety. Yesterday (Sunday the 20th) three of us dressed up at a fundraising event for the American Legion and VFW. All WWII era, including 82nd Airborne DDay, USMC PTO, and I dressed up in PTO Camo Fatigues for a generic Army impression.

As far as the amount of elite airborne units out there, no big deal. Some of the most famous WWII units were Airborne units and if people want to dress up then it's better than them not coming out. Keep in mind that when SPR and BOB came out, Rangers and 101st Airborne were a big addition to the reenactment community. However when The Pacific came out, not so much. I don't see much PTO reenacting going on to the same degree. People love the airborne units because of their fame and esprit de corps. Many people crossed over from Civil and Revolutionary war to do WWII stuff because of the prestige of the US Paratroops.

It's all good.

Rock

The "Big Bang" theory Lee!? :w00t: That's prodigious expenditure of blanks!! Expensive?

The "Big Bang" theory Lee!? :w00t: That's prodigious expenditure of blanks!! Expensive?

Yes it can be expensive Ian, but the show helps out, we supply the troops, they supply the cash, well some of it anyway!