Show some imagination.....please!

Sabrejet

Member_2114
That'd be good Johan, thanks. As I said, I'm not saying there weren't any...but just that I didn't see them. However, as you'd have doubtless observed yourself, the overwhelming majority of reenactors were "airborne"...and mainly 101st at that! Relatively few 82nd in comparison! :think:

There was a superb contingent of 4th Division living historians based at our camp at Hiesville. Early every morning they raised the US Flag, participated in drill etc. Looked and acted the part in every way. I'm not sure their group name but our buddies from Belgian Friendly 101st, who we shared our base of operations with, may be able to help?

We portrayed 82nd Airborne Military Police Platoon....

2471890620080671336S600x600Q85.jpg

I mave posted this before in this thread, if I have, forgive me for doing so, but I don't think I have. This ran in one of the last issues of WW2 re-enactor magazine:

REcolor9.jpg

If you're goin' to do it, go all the way and get a Mohican too!

post-8022-1339701098.jpg

Hmmm, could do 17th instead (not for Normandy, obviously!)

157053_471633127370_1947401_n.jpg

Possum

If you pick up a basket at the entrance you can leave at the exit with everything you need to be a WW2 paratrooper...or GI...I kid you not!

This was a surprise to me when I was visiting as part of the Push Up The Peninsula convoy last September and we made a pit stop here. Worked out for one of the guy's on the trip, though, as he showed up in country and brought Marine leggings instead of Army ones. He was able to fix the problem thanks to the shop. I'm certain it wasn't cheap, though!

This was a surprise to me when I was visiting as part of the Push Up The Peninsula convoy last September and we made a pit stop here. Worked out for one of the guy's on the trip, though, as he showed up in country and brought Marine leggings instead of Army ones. He was able to fix the problem thanks to the shop. I'm certain it wasn't cheap, though!

That's it....your one-stop (militaria) shop!!

I felt/feel like saying "There was more to the US Army in WW2 than paratroopers!" Where are the armored troops...the regular infantry...medic detachments...artillerymen...signals etc. I could go on, but you catch my drift? I don't know about the reenacting scene in the US, but I daresay the airborne is probably at risk of becoming over-represented there too? So, come on guys...a little more originality...please? Thank you! :thumbsup:

I, like many others, blame the Band of Brothers series...

And the quatermaster laundry battalions ??? Never seen that portrayed !

Well perhaps not a Laundry unit but the First Allied Airborne Association when not booted and suited or on covert ops in the marsh lands between the Beaches and Ravenoville, were in the main just a Quartermaster Trucking Company, in fact we were the 3891st QM Trucking Company US FIRST ARMY attached to 4th Infantry Division. I guess you could not get furthest away from an elite Parachute Infantry Unit, although they were credited with an assualt arrow head for the D-Day landings on UTAH which is more than can be said for us who had a somewhat pleasent trip over from Portsmouth to Caen.

181427_4065004624218_543392069_n.jpg

223833_4064993503940_1839761820_n.jpg

560323_4065025904750_1537283089_n.jpg

533179_4065006304260_265764927_n.jpg

401774_4064998784072_523371252_n.jpg

To be fair we were never that far away our main Airborne Impression ;)

P1030711.jpg

Most will know where this is, first light D-Day

Member_2114

We will once we source those linen baskets..... you take point. On the scrub board.

Pat - Paul's (Jumpwings) FSSF group have done that before, quite in-depth too. I'm sure he'll jump in with a photo or two...

Cheers,

Glen.

We done that a few years ago at Waltham Abbey...It's posted in here somewhere... :thumbsup:

We done that a few years ago at Waltham Abbey...It's posted in here somewhere... :thumbsup:

Found it:http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=75221&hl=laundry

In past Events I've never taken enough pictures, I keep telling myself the next Event "Take More Pictures!"

On the Topic of Non-combatant.

Couple years ago a Swiss group set up a ww-2 ETO camp, field kitchen, Field Hospital, and I only took a couple pics, (maybe just jealousy?)

Mess Tent;

im001884.jpg

First Aid tent;

im001882.jpg

im001883.jpg

This 50 MG is mostly made of wood, nice use of "imagination" ;)

im001880.jpg

Also a couple years back in East Germany, a German reenactor group, the Tough Hombres sent up a ww2 field kitchen, not enough pictures of it, but it gives you an idea. http://www.tough-ombres.com/main/gallery/maingal_en.html GALLERY, then click onto VE Day Langenorla 2010. The Bastogne Militaria Store was also there, they set up a Field Hospital tent, the tent itself was a No-Go but the Display itself Excellent! http://www.gemeinde-langenorla.de/fest_voe...erstebilder.htm They are also to be seen in the Tough Hombre Gallery, me too.

The above mentioned Swiss group even had Nurses for thier Field Hospital, the guys I was with had a small Pacific themed display, and the Nurses came over and did a little Hula dance for us. :thumbsup:

im001924.jpg