VMF-321 USMC Aviation Squadron

jpstout

A VMF-321 skectch by Hank Porter, this one also came out of the large collection sold on Ebay. This was the 2nd design for this squadron replacing the Hell's Angel insignia by Maj. Ed Overend (formerly of AVG). The 1st design was not in keeping with the dignity of the service (oh, my!) and contained red, which was prohibited. The 2nd design patch is purportedly american embroiderd on twill. I have not seen an original, so if you got it, show it!

post-3673-1336244270.jpg

Here is a decal for the VMF-321 offered on Ebay a few years ago. One has to assume that a decal on leather patch exists, although I have not seen one. But then again, as I get older there are numerous things I find that I have not seen... :unsure:

post-3673-1336244524.jpg

Being OCD, I like to put in the "rest of the story". Here is an original 1st design stencilled on a jacket that preceded Hank Porter's drawing...

post-3673-1336245149.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

Being OCD, I like to put in the "rest of the story". Here is an original 1st design stencilled on a jacket that preceded Hank Porter's drawing...

attachicon.gifvmf321He...ets__15_.JPG

In my collection is the parachute travel bag shown in Millstein, p71. Here are some images . . .

VMF-321-P3180061c1200.jpg

VMF-321-P3180062re700.jpg

VMF-321-P3180064-1200.jpg

Apparently, as reported by Millstein and others, the insignia was turned down by HQMC as "not in keeping with the dignity of the service" and for the use of the color red which was prohibited during wartime in 1944. So, no actual patch exists.

Here is a decal for the VMF-321 offered on Ebay a few years ago. One has to assume that a decal on leather patch exists, although I have not seen one. But then again, as I get older there are numerous things I find that I have not seen... :unsure:

attachicon.gifvmf321De...alikaobv.jpg

Agree, I have never seen a genuine leather patch but assume there may have been one. Millstein states an embroidered on twill patch exists, but I have never seen an authentic one. Plenty of reproduction or souvenir patches exist. Here's an image of my decal . . . the Disney Pole Cat. Great that you got the sketch, Pat.

VMF-321-T-2-800.jpg

Johnny Signor

Not sure if this is a Decal on leather but here's an image I found online , had no info other than unit title ........

post-2068-0-68706200-1490111269_thumb.jpg

Rick, that PTB is outstanding, thanks for posting! The 321 is one of my favorite squadrons, but very tough to find any marked items. Besides the M422A and Porter drawing, I do have a grouping with a marked M421a jacket and a photo of him in a marked M422A. I am still looking for the decal/patch. I am aware of another marked M422A, but have failed to track down its owner.

regards,

pat