"Vintage" Senior Army Aviator Wings

Sabrejet

I recently acquired this Vanguard, Senior Army Aviator wing via a forum member. I have several such wings, all of which are clutch-back, whereas the one you see here has a brooch-pin fitting. For comparison, I've also shown a carded example which can be accurately dated to '77 due to the info on the card...it's a typical clutch-back wing. So, any suggestions re the likely time frame of the brooch-pin example? It has a nice patina which suggests it has some age to it. The Aviator and Senior Aviator Badges were approved on 27 July 1950. So, any suggestions gentlemen? Thank you!

post-8022-1336222497.jpgpost-8022-1336222486.jpg

Notice how the clutch-back version has cut-outs below the "shoulders" whereas the brooch-pin version is solid.

Hey Ian,

I would say the wing is 1950-1956, as '56 is the year that Vanguard switched to

the large scripted "V" hallmark.

The hallmark on your wing is the typical of that era for Vanguard.

Best, John

Hey Ian,

I would say the wing is 1950-1956, as '56 is the year that Vanguard switched to

the large scripted "V" hallmark.

The hallmark on your wing is the typical of that era for Vanguard.

Best, John

Thank you John. It's the era I was thinking off.

Ian,

You may have caught people off guard!! THIS IS THE WING FORUM!!!!! :lol:

ec·lec·tic : (noun) A person who derives ideas, style, or taste from a broad and diverse range of sources. ;)

Jack's Son
ec·lec·tic : (noun) A person who derives ideas, style, or taste from a broad and diverse range of sources. ;)

un-want-ed : (noun) A person who is ignored. :( (:lol:)

I know the badge was awarded on the basis of hours flown, but, as a matter of interest, what would be the likely minimum rank of an aviator qualified to wear the senior badge...Major...or a senior NCO/Warrant Officer? :think:

hawkdriver

I don't know what the qualifying hour rate was back then, but now it is 1,000 to make senior and 2,000 to make master. It doesn't matter your rank, I have seen 1LT master aviators, but they were usually warrants first and took a commission. But, to answer your question, CW3's are typically the senior aviators and CW4s are your master aviators. On the commissioned side, it varies greatly, depends on how much flying you do versus how much staff time you have. I have seen Captain senior aviators and full bull colonels that are slick wing aviators.

Notice how the clutch-back version has cut-outs below the "shoulders" whereas the brooch-pin version is solid.

Different makers using different dies / trimming dies would be the quickest explanation here I think.

Regards

Mike

Jim McCauley

Used to be 1500 hours and 7 years of Aviation service for senior wings and 15 years and 3000 hours for master wings. I can't remember the year it changed but I got my senior wings as a Captain and my master wings as a Chief Warrant Officer 3. (Best decision I ever made.)

Word at the time was, it was changed so commissioned officers had a better chance to get the Senior and Master rating.

Nice wings. :thumbsup:

Jim