Street in Germany named after a fallen US GI

Constabulary

Constabulary

I just noticed this story.

Article is in German language so please try a google translation.

http://www.l-iz.de/Bildung/Zeitreise/2012/...ible-41339.html

I think many of you know the pictures from the LIFE Magazine. A US GI shot down by a German sniper during the liberation of the City of Leipzig close to the end of WWII.

Now 67 years later some activists try to rename the street where the house the GI was shot down in still stands after the GI´s name - yet it is not officially done but they try to.

Hopefully the Officials in Leipzig will agree! Thats an awesome sign I think. I love the idea to name a street after the Private´s name and not after a General or so.

Jack's Son

The renaming of the street would be a fine tribute, however, I do see a potential for problems. Although Germany is now a strong ally, I don't know that the local people would have any "warm and fuzzies" about renaming a street for an American soldier, fighting a German soldier on German soil. This is just one obstacle, and only my opinion.

Constabulary
The renaming of the street would be a fine tribute, however, I do see a potential for problems. Although Germany is now a strong ally, I don't know that the local people would have any "warm and fuzzies" about renaming a street for an American soldier, fighting a German soldier on German soil. This is just one obstacle, and only my opinion.

I understand your point of view but the political system (fortunately) has changed and Germany is a strong democracy ever since. Today no one would name a street after a fallen German Wehrmachts soldier, no matter what his military effort was (apart from the political system) You now what I mean? The things have changed. I think some still may have problems and I´m sure some will not be happy and will probably protest against it (especially some of theses fxxxing Neo-Nazis). But in general I think the majority of the people would support it as long as they know and understand the story behind. I think good democrats will not have a problem and as you said, it would be a fine tribune and it would point out that the war and the pain it caused is not forgotten.

Lets hope they will do it!

an other website but this is in English.

http://www.leipzig.de/int/en/newsarchiv/20...zig-22697.shtml