Question on a Seawovles Patch

No picture but has anyone ever seen or heard of a fully embroidered patch for the sea wolves? HELATKLTRON 3

River Patrol

yes...both hand and machine fully embroidered versions exists for some of the det patches.

Or were you referring to the non-det patches?

Refering to a HELATKLTRON 3 patch just the single scroll on the bottom with the Blue dragon, not a DET patch...

River Patrol

There is a fully hand embroidered version of that patch, Viet made and quilted.

As for a fully machine embroidered version, I've never seen one I trusted, but if it was Japanese made, it could be right for the time period, it would just be exceptionally rare.....We never found a Japanese version of this patch and, of course, you don't see it in our book, so if you found one, that would be kool, and I would love to see it!

There is a fully hand embroidered version of that patch, Viet made and quilted.

As for a fully machine embroidered version, I've never seen one I trusted, but if it was Japanese made, it could be right for the time period, it would just be exceptionally rare.....We never found a Japanese version of this patch and, of course, you don't see it in our book, so if you found one, that would be kool, and I would love to see it!

PM sent

vintageproductions

I have a fully embroidered, US made one.

Made in the 60's. Came out of Tom Clinton's collection

Hi,

I took a quick picture of some that I have. The one larger one on the left is Japanese made fully machine made .

Also Bob , I would love to see the US made version that you have.

Regards, Mitch

post-592-1336181133.jpg

vintageproductions

I am in Arizona doing a show. When I get back I will scan it.

River Patrol

Redshift911

Can you show better scans/pics of the 2 smaller hand made HAL-3 patches (one has "VungTau" in the bottom rocker and the other has a Black Seawolf)?

Thanks,

RP

River Patrol

Thanks Redshift!

Is there any history tied to the large Det 5 "patch"?

post-467-1336577854.jpg

Another fully embroidered HAL-3 patch worn as a pocket patch, right side. US or Japanese made ?

River Patrol

Japanese.

With a brown trident? That's different.

Bob Hudson

I went to Tucson last week for the Naval Airship Assoc. reunion and one of the gentleman at our table was a former blimp pilot who went on to fly Huey gunships with HAL-1 and serve as XO. He had some interesting stories, for sure.

redshift911

It came out of a large patch collection and I assume that grouping was from one individual, the large patch is hand pained on what looks like nomex from a jump suit. That is all I really know about it, the only patch that was separate, but came out of the same collection is the small VungTau one.

• 11 months later...

Hi FF,

Thanks for the comment.

Bearmon,

Your patch shown at the top of the patch appears to be Japanese made. Did you end up buying this as you didn't have a picture in the first post ?

I have attached a picture of another Hal-3 patch on a OG shirt. Picture is a bit washed out from the flash.

Thanks , Mitch

post-592-0-04249200-1366466175.jpg