Fantasy, Repro, & Counterfeit EGA Reference Thread

cbuehler

teufelhunde.ret

Has been a long while since viewing one of these fakes... They were coming to ebau w/ some regulartity a few years back, recognized it immediately. However did not recognize the seller of these until looking back at the ebay user ID - bingo! The seller has a new name - but selling the same model line of fakes for years under the name "thepengiun" Buyer beware!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USMC-OFFICERS-2-OL...=item4ab0ab867c

__KGrHqF__iEE6G3fC_8bBOvE_6Chgw__60_3.jpg

__KGrHqN__lEE6p1kGsrYBOvE_7kUPQ__60_3.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

It's not USMC, I've looked on the web and don't find anything like it. It's rather cheaply made and not old enough to be an antique pin from colonial days.

I'm lost now ?? :think:

It's not USMC, I've looked on the web and don't find anything like it. It's rather cheaply made and not old enough to be an antique pin from colonial days.

I'm lost now ?? :think:

Yes I ran with the same problem, even in the colonial days you see them with an anchor. I searched the net up and down. Have no idea.

skip

I hope one of that "Heavy Hitter" EGA guys comments here, but I recall seeing emblems of this design listed on eBay, usually in conjunction with other similarly made designs, listed as rare examples or some such, but the consensus among the experts was they were all repro / fantasy pieces. I have not seen that particular design in any other context except as it being sold as an original and that claim being described as dishonest.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
teufelhunde.ret

Fellow forum members:

You are in the Marine Corps EGA reference section. This area is were posts from the Marine Corps, USMC EGA discussion section are moved for permanent retention and education about the history of the Eagle, Globe and Anchor. As time moves forward there maybe additional information the EGA Moderators wish to add or will add to this specific post. We ask for your input as well.

We encourage further comments about this post and its content. In order to do so, you will need to start a new post in the USMC EGA discussion area which is listed in the main page under insignia. And as needed we will be pleased to move any new and or valued information that is derived from your post (and subsequent comments) into this reference area as its own standing post.

Please be advised; posting and or editing is restricted on Eagle, Globe and Anchor emblem threads; to moderator's and forum staff.

• 3 months later...

There is a set of reproduction China Marine diamonds for the fur hat for sale on ebay. Here is a picture. I bet they will be soon be showing up with EGA's and listed as real.

Dick

post-9487-1336143179.jpg

• 1 month later...

More junk on eBay bringing insane amounts...the seller doesn't seem to know the reals from fakes in the collection, seems to have just bought a collection...

I emailed the seller

I'm stunned...finally a seller with integrity! The seller replied that they never knowingly sell fake items as an antiquities dealer, and has removed the auctions and notified the bidders, providing them with a link to this thread so they can learn to avoid fakes! Gets my nomination for dealer of the week.

• 6 months later...

Images are too blurry to make out the details. My guess off the bat on the wreath is probably not...originals are rather rare,..and clearer/rear images of these?

Unfortunately, I think at best they're Bannerman's...the shields are supposed to have loops rather than prongs.

Here's an example of one that recently sold...http://www.eagleglobeandanchor.com/101_-_P1876_USMC_SHAKO.html

• 2 weeks later...