Tanker helmet - Rawlings Clark

Murphy92

Hi from France everybody :D

Recently picked ud to a friend of mine who found it in the Vosges sector (France), this helmet certainly painted in white for 1944's winter campaign :

tanker10.jpg

Not exactly in my theme of collection (Normandy and Britain in 1944) but a rare historic relic, no ? ;)

Apart from its colour it lacks some of the usual features found on WW2 tankers' helmets, most notably the springs which hold the receivers in place. Compare it with the picture below (which has some captioning errors)

post-8022-1336129026.jpg

Riiiight....I wasn't aware of such a variant! :think: Very scarce...thanks for the explanation! :thumbsup:

Thanks for your replies

More pictures and details ... ;)

p1040610.jpg

p1040611.jpg

p1040612.jpg

p1040613.jpg

p1040614.jpg

Thanks again

Jim Baker

Out of curiousity, do any of you helmet guys out there have any idea of the value of one of these?

The white finish, although obviously "weathered" with age, looks very uniform, almost like a factory finish as opposed to an ad hoc winter camo finish. But why would a helmet designed to be worn in the confines of an armoured vehicle need to be winter camo'd...assuming that's what it is?

Jim Baker
The white finish, although obviously "weathered" with age, looks very uniform, almost like a factory finish as opposed to an ad hoc winter camo finish. But why would a helmet designed to be worn in the confines of an armoured vehicle need to be winter camo'd...assuming that's what it is?

Tank Destroyer?

Tank Destroyer?

As in "head above the parapet", so to speak? Possibly. I don't think I've ever seen any pics of winter camo'd tanker helmets...but that's not to say they aren't out there somewhere. :think:

Jim Baker
As in "head above the parapet", so to speak? Possibly. I don't think I've ever seen any pics of winter camo'd tanker helmets...but that's not to say they aren't out there somewhere. :think:

I've got some. I'm off to work, but if I remember I'll post a few.

Now, does anyone have an estimate of value? No tricks, but I think Gilles would also like to know if he got a good deal.

Thanks!

Third Herd

The Wilson History & Research Center shows a white version of the more common style and says it's snow camo. That Rawlings Clark version must be hard to find, my Dad saw one in a pile of 50 and dug through, it was the only one.

Many thanks all ... Yes indeed, I would like toknow the exact valor of this helmet (I know the price I've bought it but it's certainly far the reality)

For the white color, I've seen the M38 ont the Wilson History & Research Center... Mine is more a factory painted model than it...

That's a neat helmet..!

One can however wonder if the white color is winter camouflage. Tanks aren't exactly the easiest thing to camouflage, they make a lot of noise as well, so why would the crew even bother camouflaging their helmets? Sure they didn't spend all day in the can, but still.. + I wouldn't expect such a precision job, the straps being green, the leather untouched... Could the white have had another purpose besides camouflage?

It could be camouflage though, to draw away the attention if it were used by a gunner or navigator, or simply by someone who wanted to feel safe at all times.

That doesn't take away the fact that this is a very nice helmet! Awesome find & congratulations :thumbsup:

IMO ,the paint appears to be factory done. When you look at the air vent holes on top of the helmet the inside edges of the holes have all been neatly painted white....but when you look at the interior there is no signs of dripping or overpaint. I can't imagine that kind of detail being field applied. Also some of the strapping dose not show any signs of paint or having been painted around.These are only observations and why would factory paint be applied for a 6 week campaign :think: Food for thought.

Best Regards

Zeke

Paul Reijnders

( "What were the 4 male snaps on the front for" )

Untill now no info found on this question. On the picture you can see

another variant from the Rawlings Clark !! One with tension arms etc etc

Regards , Paul Reijnders

post-4905-1337242127.jpg

Paul Reijnders

Far left : Rawlings Clark

Mid : Rawlings Clark with 2 extra snaps for the strap + tension arms

Far right : Standard M-1938 Tanker helmet

post-4905-1337242365.jpg

Far left : Rawlings Clark

Mid : Rawlings Clark with 2 extra snaps for the strap + tension arms

Far right : Standard M-1938 Tanker helmet

Thanks for all these infos and pictures ...

Paul : there's one more green R/C ! You have to trade one with mine :rolleyes: