NB-36 Convair

Plant#4

This is the only plane to carry a working Nuclear reactor air born. It was not powered by the reactor, even though folks think it was. It only powered some lights and a few test systems.

post-2156-1200041277.jpg

Nothing that flies makes a sound like a B-36. The only way to hear that throb of those engines, is the old movie "Stratecgic Air Command", with Jimmy Stewart. For all you guys who never heard one of the babies cruise overhead, I feel sorry for you. "Six turnin and four burnin!" thumbsup.gif

Nothing that flies makes a sound like a B-36. The only way to hear that throb of those engines, is the old movie "Stratecgic Air Command", with Jimmy Stewart. For all you guys who never heard one of the babies cruise overhead, I feel sorry for you. "Six turnin and four burnin!" thumbsup.gif

And if the engines were having problems.. "2 turning, two burning, two smoking, two joking"

And now, turn up your volume and looky here ~~> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZSpqFPSK_c...feature=related

And...more volume please.. ~~~> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2IWZgW73zI...feature=related

And if the engines were having problems.. "2 turning, two burning, two smoking, two joking"

If I remember correctly the B-36 had ten engines, but my previous attempt at comedy left two engines unaccounted for. Well.....I was a Flight Engineer on the C-130 and I only had to count up to four engines.

:blink:

Wasn't one of the problems with this aircraft having enough lead shielding to protect the crew and then having enough lift to move all that shielding?

Wasn't one of the problems with this aircraft having enough lead shielding to protect the crew and then having enough lift to move all that shielding?

Looking at my B-36 book and it says the shielding weighed 11 tons. That weight wouldn't have been too serious an issue as the aircraft could carry a tremendous payload - an 86,000 bomb load for example. However, I did read where one very serious concern was having a nuclear reactor flying over one's house !

Here's a shot showing the other side of this bird...

DF-SC-83-09332a.jpg

The original-sized image can be found on the DVIC website; do a search for ' DF-SC-83-09332 '.

For anyone interested in more info and/or photos...

CONVAIR NB-36H “THE CRUSADER” - Info and images on the NMUSAF website.

Convair NB-36H - Joe Baugher write-up. (See his main B-36 page HERE[/ur]

Fade to Black...