WWII Next Of Kin Dog Tags?

otter42

Tried to look him up on NARA, but too many, any ideas what the J7879 is? Thanks for any help with these. Ken

post-4732-1336092225.jpg

kyhistorian01
Tried to look him up on NARA, but too many, any ideas what the J7879 is? Thanks for any help with these. Ken

post-4732-1336092225.jpg

I would say the J is for his last name Jones and the 4 numbers are the last four numbers of his serial number. Looks like what you would find stamped in a uniform as a laundry mark.

Robert

Corpl. Cleaver
I would say the J is for his last name Jones and the 4 numbers are the last four numbers of his serial number. Looks like what you would find stamped in a uniform as a laundry mark.

Robert

I searched the NARA records, all 5 pages of results for James H Jones. None of them had those last 4 digits in their ASN.

Tyler

Maybe whoever was doing the stamping left the shift depressed and typed letters instead of numbers?????? Not sure of a pantograph has a standard qwerty keyboard or not.....

Mark sends

eagle5036

There is a book titled, "Dog Tags A History of the American Military Identification Tag 1861 to 2002" and the author is Paul F. Braddock. If a member has this book, it may have information on this style of WWII dog tag that you have.

Thanks for all the input, looks like they maybe ran out of room with because of the city name being so large. Thanks Jack's Son for the site, very interested, will keep them in my favorites!

I think he was Navy and these dog tags are from his post WWII enlistment. I did a search for James H Jones living in Vacaville California on Ancestry and found the following Public Record:

post-29885-1336140588.jpg

I then searched Burial Records using the name, location and birth date from the public record and found the following matches:

post-29885-1336140611.jpg

post-29885-1336141083.jpg

I think this is the best match and will do a little more digging to see what I can find.

Thanks very much, the lady I bought them from said his son sold these to her, so maybe I can find a little more from her or where the son lives.

THANKS again, Ken