Mannequin advice in US????

wwIIfighterpilots

wwIIfighterpilots

Hope its okay to have this in 'displays', since it is display-related.

Anyone got any advice on where in the US (by mail) to get mannequins that work for military displays? I have all the version from Webster Displays but I need more/different faces.

I know the ones sold on ebay and web sites are for 'fashion' but I took a shot and bought the most rugged-looking one I could find there and when it showed up I was very disappointed in it. The eyes have eye-liner painted on ( i can't resolve that since it is painted on), the lips are glossy (I can resolve that with flat spray), they eyelashes are long (I can trim them) and the head is a little too small (I can't resolve that). Bottom line is it just doesn't work for a WWII helmet/face etc. I knew I was taking a chance but it was a waste of money.

So my question is, is there anyway that sells mannys that are better for our needs, other than Websters? Or does anyone know a mannequin dealer that will sell the 'fashion' ones without the eye-liner etc? The photo of the one I bought didn't have it, but it showed up with it. I gather most of these mannequin dealers have an 'artist' that takes standard mannequin and adds makeup. I/we need them before an 'artist' gets ahold of them.

Any suggestions? Any thoughts? I am sure a lot of you guys have gone through this.

I do realize someone will want to post and just say 'watch ebay for store closeouts' but that's not what I am asking. I am asking is there anywhere that sells mannequins that work for us? I know 7-8 years ago there was a company that sold them for military uses with hinges on all the joints and many rugged faces to choose from but I have done all kinds of internet searches and can't find them so they must have gone out of business.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

Mike

wwIIfighterpilots

This is the one I bought. As you can see, it looked pretty decent in the ebay ad, other than the long eye lashes that can be easily trimmed.... but it also showed up with eye liner and lip gloss. I can spray it with flat clear coat and resolve the lips, but the eye liner is painted... the head is a little small too. just doesnt work in person, looked better on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-6H-Skintone-Ma...=item563e41eaaa

post-49659-1336014035.jpg

post-49659-1336014041.jpg

uplandmod

If you have your heart set on faces i can't help you but I have my mind set on egghead mannequin with no faces as i just want to avoid the issues with these faces that dont quite look the part.

They usually dont look the era especially with hairstyles.

From my point of view I rarely see a faced mannequin that looks the part and genetally takes away from the uniform. Eggheads tend to make one look at the uniform and not the mannequin.

Just a thought.

Good luck!

Leonardo

wwIIfighterpilots

Thanks Leonardo. I do see your point and agree we focus on the faces when used. I do prefer faces though, I think they just make the whole display more realistic. But they have to be the right one and I just don't see any of those ebay fashion mannequins working.

Thanks.

Mike

While I don't have any mannequins, I would be in the same boat as Leonardo. I think the face would cause a distraction; plus, it would probably scare the crap out of me in the middle of the night! But, to each his own.

As for suggestions, have you tried searching on Amazon? Search “Male Mannequin” and there are quite a few results, some of which aren’t as “glam” looking.

Finally, the one you posted would definitely not be representative of a serviceman from WWII; I've never seen period photos of one wearing the shade of lip gloss! Actually, add some dark hair and red lipstick and he could easily pass for one of the girl's in the Robert Palmer "Addicted to Love" video... :w00t:

post-29885-1336071638.jpg

I also did a search on Google for 'Military Manequins' and found a few sites worth checking out.

http://www.mannequinmode.com/men.html#anchor_453

http://www.allendisplay.com/Store-Fixtures/Mannequins-Forms

http://www.mannequinmaven.com/category/male-mannequins/

http://www.zingdisplay.com/Male-Mannequins-s/21.htm

This one seems like a perfect fit for a military display, however it's a bit pricey (you may however be able to find it elsewhere for less)...He reminds of G.I. Joe, actually..

http://www.allendisplay.com/Male-Mannequin-Fleshtone_5

post-29885-1336073100.jpg

wwIIfighterpilots

Hi Mason,

That's great that you spent time trying to help me. I appreciate that!

Yep, I have done countless ebay, google, yahoo and amazon searches. You found some good stuff. Problem is they are all like the one I bought, in that seeing a standard photo does not mean you will get one without makeup. Notice the original photo of the one I ordered did not have lip gloss or eye liner.

I talked to one of the dealers and they said the same 'artist' will do 60 of them at a time, so it just depends which artist did it and what they decided to do and they are boxed up with no way of knowing. They said only way to be sure you would get what you want is to buy a minimum of 5 of the same one and then you would wait a few months while an artist did the special order.

What frustrates me is I see folks posting groupings with really nice rugged faces, most seem to be our friends overseas, Belgium etc, so they must have better access to other companies there.

Thanks again Mason.

Mike

uplandmod

No problem, there are some great mannequins I have seen here on USMF but who knows where they have got them and how old they are. I do like the one Mason K put up, that would work for me but I'm sure its a bit pricy.

this site had some great mannequins at a great price and I plan to purchase mine through them:

http://onlymannequins.com/pages/Abstract-M...uins-Models.php

It's usually the shipping that makes these items even more expensive.

I plan to buy something soon for my Iwo Jima display.

Good Luck!

LF

A tip when you're buying a mannequin is to get one with hinged arms, you can get these easier clothed and you can pose them afterwards how you want.

My mannequin has two hinged elbows and you can adjust the hight of the torso (he's in two parts).

This was easy for dressing him up, if you have one big piece of plastic it can get pretty difficult do dress it.

Also, most mannequins have an iron pin in the lower leg, this makes it impossible to wear high boots (since the iron rod is in the way).

Luckily I didn't use the rod and the figure stands on it's own (due to the weight I guess).

This is the type mannequin I used:

http://www.bestmannequins.be/nl/GroupB.asp...2&GroepID=8

I've seen this store doesn't support the standing version of this type mannequin anymore, but you can see the hinges on the elbows...

Hi Mason,

That's great that you spent time trying to help me. I appreciate that!

Yep, I have done countless ebay, google, yahoo and amazon searches. You found some good stuff. Problem is they are all like the one I bought, in that seeing a standard photo does not mean you will get one without makeup. Notice the original photo of the one I ordered did not have lip gloss or eye liner.

I talked to one of the dealers and they said the same 'artist' will do 60 of them at a time, so it just depends which artist did it and what they decided to do and they are boxed up with no way of knowing. They said only way to be sure you would get what you want is to buy a minimum of 5 of the same one and then you would wait a few months while an artist did the special order.

What frustrates me is I see folks posting groupings with really nice rugged faces, most seem to be our friends overseas, Belgium etc, so they must have better access to other companies there.

Thanks again Mason.

Mike

No problem! I was unaware of how the process worked. It seems odd that they pre-paint them. You'd think they wouldn't be so specific, especially since each buyer has different needs.

In any case, it sounds like your best bet may be to buy an unpainted version and do them up yourself. I've seen others who have done the same (add some stubble, grime, etc.).

Good luck in your search!

wwIIfighterpilots

Dave,

Wow, that is what I am looking for, thanks.

I imagine they may be out of my price range though if they are 750 to 1000 each, but perhaps I will check into it. I actually just prefer half mannequins as they are easier to move around the house and can sit on tables/chest of drawers etc so maybe that would be a hair cheaper.

Thanks Dave.

Mike

wwIIfighterpilots

Eric and Miek,

thanks for your time and thoughts.

Miek, those look pretty good but they also look like a lot of the same ones sold on ebay, so my fear remains that they would show up with eye liner and lip gloss. I will give that site a good look though.

Thanks.

wwIIfighterpilots

If anyone else is interested, here is the response I got from one of the ebay mannequin dealers. I will say I appreciate them replying and explaining it all, I e-mailed two other dealers and got no response.

"all male mannequin are hand make up by the artist, due to each production has different artist to do face make up, so that cause even same mannequin may have slightly different face make up.

there is no way to keep the mannequin face make up contagious same exactly for different order production.

this item is besting selling item, we have 50 pcs in stock which is in same production, all the face make up will be done by same artist, so I am sure the face make up are same.

we can meet you face make up requirement if you place minimum 5 pcs order with 60 days lead time."

Eric and Miek,

thanks for your time and thoughts.

Miek, those look pretty good but they also look like a lot of the same ones sold on ebay, so my fear remains that they would show up with eye liner and lip gloss. I will give that site a good look though.

Thanks.

The site gives you a good impression what kind of commercial made mannequins are out there...

My mannequin has the girly eyes, unfortunately, but no lip gloss...(and he's bald, no moulded hair (which is better if you put headdresses on them...).

You can see him in the Displays forum thread (the Bulge soldier), it's not the amazing mannequins uplandmod is showing us (these ARE amazing!),

but it's a very payable alternative (my mannequin costs 250 Euro) which was very affordable... in the end it was a tool to display my uniform...

If you have the money you can buy a custom made mannequin, but if your budget is limited (like mine ;) ) then these are perfect...

and if you're handy you can always cut the lashes a bit and make him more realistic.

wwIIfighterpilots

Miek, your Bulge display looks great. I noticed that earlier today. Congrats.

• 3 weeks later...
doctordirt

post-27894-1337692390.jpg

If you don't require facial features - sometimes they attract attention away from the uniform and gear you are trying to display - a 'flocked' mannequin can work.

My mannequins are fully poseable, fit into WWII original clothing, and can stand on their own with a rod running up one leg. (This does require you to bore through one shoe, however!)

They have soft bodies over a wire 'skeleton' and are flexible enough to gets arms and legs into clothes without detaching limbs.

These are available on e-bay - look for 'flocked' and you can find them.

They do look a bit like the guys from Roswell, however.....

jd

Just a side thought have you looked around on craigslist?

I know most will be female forms but you might get lucky and find a good one or two.

Nice set up guys i just got my warroom so ill be looking for some ideas soon for displays and such.

David