WAR ALARM

KEF

My collection of alarm clocks made from non essential war materials.

The black square ones were made from a paper cardboard like composition kind of like a sturdy egg carton. The black metal case with the original box had very little metal. Mechanisms contains only about 1/10 ounce brass and 6 1/2 ounce of steel. Both the metal and cardboard composition clocks were made in Winsted Connecticut OPA MAXIMUM $1.65.

I believe the clock company was The Gilbert Clock Co. "During World War II, the company was one of the few American clock companies allowed to continue producing clocks; instead of having to make war material. They made mostly alarm clocks since these were needed even during a time of war. People needed to get to their war-related jobs on time. Since metal was needed for the war effort, Gilbert had to use pressed paper or papier-mâché for the cases of these alarm clocks".

post-9627-1335986413.jpg

Two electric WAR ALARMS made be the famous clock company Telechron Ashland Mass. model No. 1 OPA MAXIMUM $4.85 stamp on the back of the clock. These two clocks could have been made of "BAKELITE" (polyoxybenzylmethylenglycolanhydride, is an early plastic... via WikipediA)

post-9627-1335986471.jpg

And one last art deco looking clock made with the same paper fiber board composition was made by WESTCLOX of LaSalle, Ill. It is stamped on the back or embossed into the fiberboard MAXIMUM PRICE $1.65 EXCLUSIVE OF TAXES

post-9627-1335986651.jpg

All card board... all work! Boy do the tick loud. War workers could sleep through these ticking though but they had to get up on time to build The Arsenal Of Democracy.

One last comment from the Office of Price Administration which I believe was under the WPB (maybe they were in the same building)...

"War Production Board (WPB) has requested that no one buy a war alarm unless it satisfies real need, not merely want, wish, or whim.

post-9627-1335987437.jpg

Thats an Excellent Collection you have got there of War Time Clocks Very Impressive !!

of the Different Types and Variations that were Maf" back then during the War Years interesting :thumbsup:

they were very cheep back then to but i guess Dollars were quiet Scarce to...

WOW, these are something I knew nothing about. They are preaty neat, What do they go for now if you can find one? Thanks for sharing.

General Apathy
My collection of alarm clocks made from non essential war materials.

The black square ones were made from a paper cardboard like composition kind of like a sturdy egg carton. The black metal case with the original box had very little metal. Mechanisms contains only about 1/10 ounce brass and 6 1/2 ounce of steel. Both the metal and cardboard composition clocks were made in Winsted Connecticut OPA MAXIMUM $1.65.

I believe the clock company was The Gilbert Clock Co. "During World War II, the company was one of the few American clock companies allowed to continue producing clocks; instead of having to make war material. They made mostly alarm clocks since these were needed even during a time of war. People needed to get to their war-related jobs on time. Since metal was needed for the war effort, Gilbert had to use pressed paper or papier-mâché for the cases of these alarm clocks".

Hi KEF, fantastic, it appears you only collect the best of the best :thumbsup: , I know I have one of these, I might even have a second model but nowhere as nice examples as you have.

Really pleased that you took the ' time ' to show these to the forum. :lol:

ken

dave peifer

thanks for posting.........thats a new one on me.i would love to have one i guess i have to start looking at clocks when i see them :thumbsup: ..............dave