"Woodland" reenactors?

Sabrejet

Fender Rhodes

Night desert parka interior to include the liner...made of the same quilted material used to make poncho liners.

IMG_5704_zps2be2931f.jpg

Night desert parka sizing tag indicating a 1984 manufacturing date

IMG_5703_zpsc1901060.jpg

Fender Rhodes

Lookin' good.

Gee, wish I could find a small Regular here in Europe, all I have is a Medium Regular (Wink, Wink xD).

Daniel

Daniel,

You'll be happy you have those in medium regular as you'll put on weight as you get a little older and they will fit better in the long run. Besides, it wasn't uncommon for Marines to be issued the wrong sized cammies (mostly bigger, depending on what was left in the CIF by the time they went through the issuing process). So I wouldn't worry if the look baggy when you put them on.

S/F,

FR

Fender Rhodes

Nice, sadly my neither of my 2 choc chip helmet covers have EGAs on them...

These were iron-on's that the individual Marine was responsible for applying. Some covers had them, others did not. I got lucky and was issued one with the stencil already applied.

DeltaOscarAlphaUSMC

Thanks for the tip on the pants, maybe I'll buy a jacket another size big as well, before supply runs out.

And if I visit USA this summer, I'm defenetly going on a shopping spree in a surplus store- I heard you can get full BDUs for 2$ a piece!

I think I know where I can buy those stencils, I'll try to buy them.

Thanks!

Daniel.

Nice, sadly my neither of my 2 choc chip helmet covers have EGAs on them...

Others may have different experiences, but I don't recall seeing helmet covers with emblems in '90-91, unless they were added by the individual Marine.

DeltaOscarAlphaUSMC

I guess it really varied from unit to unit, however, I think the EGA on the helmet cover is more of a Somalia thing...

Fender Rhodes

I guess it really varied from unit to unit, however, I think the EGA on the helmet cover is more of a Somalia thing...

Which would make sense since my stuff was issued around the early Somalia time frame...

DeltaOscarAlphaUSMC

Which would make sense since my stuff was issued around the early Somalia time frame...

Were you deployed in Somalia?

Daniel.

Fender Rhodes

No I did not. One of my best friends did, but by the time they got there, they were issued three color desert cammies and not chocolate chips.

DeltaOscarAlphaUSMC

No I did not. One of my best friends did, but by the time they got there, they were issued three color desert cammies and not chocolate chips.

So they gave you a choc chip BDU instead of a normal one?

Fender Rhodes

Yep. There were still a lot of them at supply when I was at Camp Lejeune in 1993. Plus the West Coast Marines (of which my buddy was one of) were assigned to the CENTCOM AOR and they got priority of the newer gear, including the three color cammies. While three color cammies had been in circulation as early as 1991, the Marine Corps was always last to get everything.

I ended up getting three color ones in 2002 before I deployed to Kuwait in advance of the invasion of Iraq.

DeltaOscarAlphaUSMC

Yep. There were still a lot of them at supply when I was at Camp Lejeune in 1993. Plus the West Coast Marines (of which my buddy was one of) were assigned to the CENTCOM AOR and they got priority of the newer gear, including the three color cammies. While three color cammies had been in circulation as early as 1991, the Marine Corps was always last to get everything.

I ended up getting three color ones in 2002 before I deployed to Kuwait in advance of the invasion of Iraq.

Did you ever get to use a woodland BDU?

DeltaOscarAlphaUSMC

It was the standard issue for pretty much half the time I was in the Marine Corps. I wore them from 1991-2002.

Woodland BDUs are awesome, still don't know why the army changed to the ACU in UCP...

When we deployed it was with the understanding that the choc chip uniforms were ours to keep but we were not to put on the EGA on the boonie covers. The Kevlar covers which for us were woodland we could do anything to alter them in any way so that meant no adding the EGA to them same thing with our issued woodland field jackets. These items were checked out from MAG-11 S-4 and as such still belonged to the Corps and had to be returned when we were done with them. If they were lost or kept we would have to pay for them. Now the funny thing is and we did not know it at the time but all of our 782 gear including flak vests and Kevlar helmets were written off as combat losses when the first shot was fired. So we could have kept everything and reported it lost in combat and we would have been covered. But instead we turned in everything except our Field Jackets and rifles while still in Bahrain. Only stuff we kept that was issued to us was the Choc Chips.

Mack

DeltaOscarAlphaUSMC

When we deployed it was with the understanding that the choc chip uniforms were ours to keep but we were not to put on the EGA on the boonie covers. The Kevlar covers which for us were woodland we could do anything to alter them in any way so that meant no adding the EGA to them same thing with our issued woodland field jackets. These items were checked out from MAG-11 S-4 and as such still belonged to the Corps and had to be returned when we were done with them. If they were lost or kept we would have to pay for them. Now the funny thing is and we did not know it at the time but all of our 782 gear including flak vests and Kevlar helmets were written off as combat losses when the first shot was fired. So we could have kept everything and reported it lost in combat and we would have been covered. But instead we turned in everything except our Field Jackets and rifles while still in Bahrain. Only stuff we kept that was issued to us was the Choc Chips.

Mack

After the war, the choc chips were probably worn and beaten anyway...

Fender Rhodes

No, the blouse is fairly worn. Laundry marks from previous owners, burring and wear on the fabric around the skirt and cuffs, puncture marks on the collars from chevrons, staining in various spots...trust me when I say its worn.

One aspect of the issuing of chocolate chips that hasn't been discussed is the fact that sometimes we wore them when performing OPFOR duties during exercises...

Side note, later on, I'll break out some of my woodlands and shoot some pics for you. If I have time...

DeltaOscarAlphaUSMC

Hey guys! Long story short- a seller is offering me an M17 gas mask, which is ideal for Desert storm reenactment, but he says it's the version without a drinking tube, did you ever see those being used?

Please reply as soon as possible, thanks.

Daniel.

Fender Rhodes

The early M17 (Vietnam era) did not have a drinking tube. The A1 and A2 had drinking tubes. I was only issued A2's if I recall correctly. Either A1 or A2 would be correct for Desert Storm.