"Woodland" reenactors?

Sabrejet

This me at a Soldier's Christmas event done at the end of November this year. I went as myself from Desert Shield/ Desert Storm. We were not issued choc chip helmet covers and not all of us got choc chip Flak vest covers. We wore more woodland cammies as we had them and were only issued one set of desert cammies. Our NBC suits were woodland. As far as boots you will see a mixture of black combat boots, green jungle boots and flight line boots. You basically wore what you had brought. Guys who turned in worn out combat boots were issued jungle boots as replacements. I basically wore my flight line boots the whole as I was never issued jungles and I wasnt going to ruin a pair of combat boots when I could muck up flightline boots and get another pair issued. Also we were issued woodland field jackets since by the time we needed them they were out of the desert night parkas.

MackIMG_0803.jpg

The boots I am wearing in the above picture is one of the actual sets of combat boots I was issued in boot camp in 1988 but the pair I left behind in CONUS when we deployed so they have held up well after 25 years. I still have my last pair of flight line boots also but having been soaked many times in A/C cleaning compound the stitching on them was suspect which is why I did not wear them to the event.

Mack

DeltaOscarAlphaUSMC

I also have a woodland loadout, but taking the 6 color desert cover off the Flak vest is a long a boring task, so this will have to do.

post-150236-0-62000400-1388360299.jpg

Also, I found a pair of pants in Desert night camo, really cheap actually, only 10€ (13.70$)

DeltaOscarAlphaUSMC

This me at a Soldier's Christmas event done at the end of November this year. I went as myself from Desert Shield/ Desert Storm. We were not issued choc chip helmet covers and not all of us got choc chip Flak vest covers. We wore more woodland cammies as we had them and were only issued one set of desert cammies. Our NBC suits were woodland. As far as boots you will see a mixture of black combat boots, green jungle boots and flight line boots. You basically wore what you had brought. Guys who turned in worn out combat boots were issued jungle boots as replacements. I basically wore my flight line boots the whole as I was never issued jungles and I wasnt going to ruin a pair of combat boots when I could muck up flightline boots and get another pair issued. Also we were issued woodland field jackets since by the time we needed them they were out of the desert night parkas.

MackIMG_0803.jpg

Nice pic!

Daniel

DeltaOscarAlphaUSMC

The boots I am wearing in the above picture is one of the actual sets of combat boots I was issued in boot camp in 1988 but the pair I left behind in CONUS when we deployed so they have held up well after 25 years. I still have my last pair of flight line boots also but having been soaked many times in A/C cleaning compound the stitching on them was suspect which is why I did not wear them to the event.

Mack

It seems pretty much no one ever actually used Tan desert boots per say, besides special forces.

Daniel

I dont know about other units but we arrived in theatre August 21,1990 and left March 13,1991. So we were some of the first in and some of the first out. So I wouldnt think the tan boots saw any combat but could have been worn by units that in theatre later than we were.

Thanks for the compliment . Heres a pic of me Christmas morning 1990 in a tower overlooking the persian gulf.

meon50cal-1.jpg

DeltaOscarAlphaUSMC

I dont know about other units but we arrived in theatre August 21,1990 and left March 13,1991. So we were some of the first in and some of the first out. So I wouldnt think the tan boots saw any combat but could have been worn by units that in theatre later than we were.

Thanks for the compliment . Heres a pic of me Christmas morning 1990 in a tower overlooking the persian gulf.

meon50cal-1.jpg

I've noticed this pic earlier in the thread, I can only say one thing- Epic.

Such a great photo, the desert looks amazing (But after 8 months, it must have got boring).

Daniel

No pilots were good maybe some dirty drawers. Both were fixed and up and running in 48 hours. A/C 2 is the one with the tail hook down. A week later it would be on a strafing mission and have a squib load in the 20 MM Cannon and would spray rounds through out the radar package and destroyed just about everything in the nose wheel well. It made it back after that also. The last time I saw A/C 2 was in NAS North Island about a year later and it was up on wooden boxes and everything that could be cannabilized off it had been. Same Pilot was flying A/C 2 both times. A/C 10 the other bird finished out the war with no problems.

Mack

DeltaOscarAlphaUSMC

We absolutely hated those load-bearing vests...

I'm actually having trouble with the LC-2 with Y suspenders, every time I fill my canteen (when I go airsofting), and attach it to the pistol belt, the weight of it makes the belt go down in the direction the canteen is placed, even fully fastened... Any suggestions or fixes?

DeltaOscarAlphaUSMC

No pilots were good maybe some dirty drawers. Both were fixed and up and running in 48 hours. A/C 2 is the one with the tail hook down. A week later it would be on a strafing mission and have a squib load in the 20 MM Cannon and would spray rounds through out the radar package and destroyed just about everything in the nose wheel well. It made it back after that also. The last time I saw A/C 2 was in NAS North Island about a year later and it was up on wooden boxes and everything that could be cannabilized off it had been. Same Pilot was flying A/C 2 both times. A/C 10 the other bird finished out the war with no problems.

Mack

Great! So in total, the actual combat lasted two weeks or so, right?

Daniel.

No the air war started for us on the night on January 16,1991 when everything on the base that was flyable went off starting about 2300. We received our first incoming scuds at about 0200 January 17,1991. We continued combat operations until February 28,1991. The ground war started on February 24,1991 and lasted until February 28,1991. Now there was ground combat before 24 Feb such as Kafji and artillery going back and forth over the border but the invasion of Kuwait and Iraq did not begin till 24 Feb. Just so you get an idea VMFA-314 flew 814 combat sorties and expended over 2.1 million pounds of ordnance in the 42 days we had combat ops going. The war lasted 43 days and we had one day of a maintanence stand down.

Mack

DeltaOscarAlphaUSMC

No the air war started for us on the night on January 16,1991 when everything on the base that was flyable went off starting about 2300. We received our first incoming scuds at about 0200 January 17,1991. We continued combat operations until February 28,1991. The ground war started on February 24,1991 and lasted until February 28,1991. Now there was ground combat before 24 Feb such as Kafji and artillery going back and forth over the border but the invasion of Kuwait and Iraq did not begin till 24 Feb. Just so you get an idea VMFA-314 flew 814 combat sorties and expended over 2.1 million pounds of ordnance in the 42 days we had combat ops going. The war lasted 43 days and we had one day of a maintanence stand down.

Mack

Thanks for the info, Mack!

Daniel.

Fender Rhodes

I'm actually having trouble with the LC-2 with Y suspenders, every time I fill my canteen (when I go airsofting), and attach it to the pistol belt, the weight of it makes the belt go down in the direction the canteen is placed, even fully fastened... Any suggestions or fixes?

Not really...either tighten up your pistol belt or start carrying loaded magazines in the ammo pouches. ;-)

DeltaOscarAlphaUSMC

Not really...either tighten up your pistol belt or start carrying loaded magazines in the ammo pouches. ;-)

Will try, thanks.

Daniel.

DeltaOscarAlphaUSMC

You should have to slightly suck in your stomach to fasten the pistol belt. If you are not doing that you do not have the pistol belt tight enough.

Mack

Thanks, I'll try it, I guess it should work way better.

Daniel.

Fender Rhodes

When wearing your cover, it shouldn't sit that far back on your head. The brim should be low in the front, no more than two fingers width above the bridge of your nose.

DeltaOscarAlphaUSMC

When wearing your cover, it shouldn't sit that far back on your head. The brim should be low in the front, no more than two fingers width above the bridge of your nose.

Thanks, I kind of had an idea on how to wear it but didn't know for sure.