"Woodland" reenactors?

Sabrejet

Fender Rhodes

A sampling of T-shirts that I wore over the course of my career. Some were PX purchases and some were organizational purchases.

post-14750-0-81366800-1409428805.jpg

Fender Rhodes

A close up shot of the service greens and khakis.

You may notice that the EGA on the piss cutter is a little worn (also called 'salty'). For inspections, this was a gig-able offense, but generally, like cammies, the saltier look, the better...besides, if you knew when the inspection was coming, you could always apply a little M-Nu to it to blacken it back up.

post-14750-0-96387900-1409428911.jpg

Fender Rhodes

Alright, on to the field gear...

Top left: Standard PASGT kevlar vest. This was not my original issue. Additionally, I do not have my helmet in any of the shots, but it isn't my original issue either.

Top middle: Standard issue googles. These were especially handy when conducting heli-borne training.

Top right: Large ALICE ruck. I purchased this a long time ago to take the place of the issue, medium ALICE ruck. Prior to OIF I had Tactical Tailor modify it (snap buckles, etc). I have my two-quart canteen and entrenching tool mounted on the sides. I spray-painted tan/coyote swatches across it to break up the color. It has a nametape, GLINT tape and cats eyes sewn to the flap. I also doubled the padding on the kidney pad as well as the back (a cut up foam sleeping mat) and the shoulder straps.

post-14750-0-17390800-1409429091.jpg

Fender Rhodes

OK, this shot is a little cluttered but I'll try and get to it all...

Starting on the top left: Issue black wool watch cap, GP strap, adjustable GP strap (top), rifle sling for M16 series rifles (below adjustable GP strap), VS17 panel, nylon buttpack.

Middle, left to right: Issue camo poncho (secured by two velcro straps), nylon Memorandum notebook cover with map pen set in the flap, green squad leader's notebook with map reading protractor.

Middle center: Load Bearing Harness with strobe light on left strap.

Left to right on the harness: first-aid/compass pouch (with bandage), SAW pouch, canteen carrier with canteen (green NBC cap), first aid kit, M1956 canvas buttpack, canteen carrier with canteen (green NBC cap) and canteen cup, 2x 30 round magazine pouches with magazines, first-aid/compass pouch (with bandage)

post-14750-0-37184900-1409429543.jpg

Fender Rhodes

Better view of the items on the right.

Bottom right: Reflective velcro strip. For stationing keeping and could be seen in FLIR

Gloves, left to right: Standard issue black glove shells with green wool liners. Carabiner through the wrist loops for hanging off of the LBE.

Standard issue tan leather work gloves. These were rolling out barbed wire or rapelling.

Nomex summer weight fliers gloves.

post-14750-0-34493500-1409430130.jpg

Fender Rhodes

Top/middle from left to right: Private purchase SOG knife and knife belt. Worn in the field so that even when ditching my LBE, I always had a knife on me.

Standard issue GI flashlight and Mini-Mag Lite, purchased at the PX. Used smaller batteries and lasted longer. Plus nothing screamed 'boot' like the issue flashlight.

M16 series weapons cleaning kit.

Standard clothing marking kit. Initially issued in boot camp, these could be purchased in the PX. Above the kit are my ear plugs and issue case.

Just passed the buttpack is a topo map of Camp Lejeune and it's training areas.

Bottom, left to right: Two issue 5.56mm ammo bandoliers. On top of the private purchase nylon kit bag: EGA iron on kit (PX purchase), small green Memorandum notebook, two rifle range data books (small one dated 1987, the other dated 1994).

post-14750-0-41749100-1409430405.jpg

Fender Rhodes

Last post...the paperwork on the right side of the photo.

First off, boot camp issue, black orders pouch. You literally carried your orders for your next duty station in this rubberized black pouch...again, screamed 'boot'. Don't know why I saved it but I'm glad I did.

Sitting on the orders pouch, small white deck of vehicle recognition cards.

Two the right of the cards, two essential skills books (PVT-GYSGT).

Below the skills book is the boot camp issued 'green monster', essenitally a skills book for the most basic of field skill. Next to that is the larger 'red monster' (cover long since gone), also issued in boot camp. Again I have no idea why I saved these two books but I did. If you look closely you can see my platoon number and laundry number on the books. In boot we were required to mark every piece of our (non-organizational) gear with our name, platoon number and laundry number. This was done because the DI's would typically trash the squad bay, throwing the contents of our footlockers all over. Having your info on your s**t helped with the recovery effort.

That's about it. I was surprised to see how much boot camp issue gear I still had. Obviously I'm missing some of my stuff from over the years, but it's good to know I have a bunch of it...maybe I'll start buying up the stuff that I'm missing.

R/

FR

post-14750-0-72438600-1409430914.jpg

This is a great set up Fender. Thank you for taking the time to show us the Marine Corps field layout..

This is really great

Leigh

Fender Rhodes

My pleasure guys. Like Leigh said about going through his gear, it's actually a fun and gratifying exercise. Brought back a lot of memories...some good, some not so good, but it was a nice walk down memory lane. In the future, if I locate anything else that should have been included, I'll shoot pics of it and post it as well.

R/

FR

Fender Rhodes

I forgot to post this one. It provides a good view of both of the boot camp issue camo bags in the same shot. Shows the difference in size between the two.

On a side note, we were also issued a clothing hanger bag made of similar woodland camo pattern and fabric as the two bags. I couldn't find it.

I want to say that in boot camp now, Marine recruits are now issued the same three bags in woodland digital.

post-14750-0-98510800-1409485288.jpg

Fender Rhodes

OK...shot some detail pictures of some of the field gear plus a few things I omitted the first go around.

First off, a shot of the water purification tablets in the canteen cover. Also note the tape job on the canteen's NBC cap. If you didn't do this, you'd invariably lose the cap as it would get torn off. Cap is the first generation black type. These were later changed to green and had an internal elastic cover over the spigot.

post-14750-0-65003000-1409955417.jpg

Fender Rhodes

Detailed look at the first generation M249 SAW pouch. Later models lacked the pull tab and on some, the velcro strips along the flap. This was the pouch I was issued in 1993 when I was assigned a SAW as my primary weapon.

post-14750-0-48720100-1409955570.jpg

Fender Rhodes

Closer look at the strobe pouch. Unlike Leigh, I did not go through the elaborate method of tying the pouch to the D ring on the suspender strap. Couple of strips of rigger's tape is all. You can also see the duct tape that was applied to the metal fittings on the suspender strap.

post-14750-0-82121500-1409955671.jpg

Fender Rhodes

Additional paperwork carried in my squad leaders notebook. From left to right...

1. Laminated Five paragraph order cheat sheet. There were EPW handling tips on the reverse side.

2. Tips for Small Unit Leaders card - Loved this thing. Troop leading steps, 5 paragraph order outline, etc, all neatly placed on a laminated card no bigger than a cammie blouse pocket.

3. Tactical Reports card - Outlines of ever conceivable type of report used by the USMC. The card was accordion style folded and about the size of one of those mini decks of playing cards.

4. Laminated Peacetime ROE card - Self-explanatory.

I used to carry around an RTO card which was much like the tactical reports card in format and size, but I lost it a long time ago. It's probably available on the internet somewhere for download...

post-14750-0-67291600-1409955782.jpg

Fender Rhodes

After being promoted to SSgt, I rated a pistol. I was never issued a leather holster. We always got Bianci's. The first couple I was issued were pretty beat up but serviceable. The last one I was issued, this one, was pristine...right out of the plastic, with the lanyard (which is tucked into the holster). There wasn't any room on my other LBE, so I attached it to a second set I have assembled.

post-14750-0-64171800-1409958017.jpg

Fender Rhodes

The corresponding 9mm ammunition pouch. You were generally issued two. For some reason I only have one left...don't know where the second one went...must have turned it in to the CIF.

post-14750-0-27092100-1409958180.jpg

Fender Rhodes

A close up of the additional padding on the large ALICE straps. These were a surplus store purchase. The pads contain foam and are attached by simple velcro straps. A lot of my fellow Marines mocked me when I gear up with these for the first time...that is until about 20 miles or so into the ruck march...then everyone wanted to know where to pick them up. I think they cost me about $5 back in 1998.

post-14750-0-98015900-1409958249.jpg

Fender Rhodes

A side view of the large ruck. You'll notice that the strap for the two-quart canteen is run around the entire diameter of the pack. It is tucked in behind the pack along the frame wall, emerging from the opposite side. It then runs behind the e-tool, and through the outer pocket straps. This prevents the canteen carrier from being lost.

post-14750-0-39042800-1409958457.jpg

Fender Rhodes

Details of the pack flap. Name tag scrubbed for PERSEC considerations, but this shows you the GLINT tape and cat's eyes layout. These were hand sewn on but were not part of any official unit marking.

post-14750-0-28942100-1409958610.jpg

Fender Rhodes

This pictures shows where the two-quart canteen strap emerged from and how it was run behind the e-tool carrier and through the outer pocket straps.

post-14750-0-35123700-1409958761.jpg

Fender Rhodes

Leather shoulder holster for M9/M1911. This was a private purchase item. When I didn't feel like carrying the standard Bianci holster I would periodically wear this. Good for use during vehicle-mounted operations as you would have to fumble around with your LBE to get to your pistol. Still in good shape but could use a little neats foot oil...

That's it for now.

Enjoy,

FR

post-14750-0-58445200-1409958814.jpg