"Woodland" reenactors?

Sabrejet

Sgt_Rock_EasyCo

Went through Infantry School at Benning in the winter and it was quite cold (one of the coldest in a long time) and we wore our MOPP Gear during the night, which was a blessing as we kept warm. On the other hand Lt. Mike Steel put us in MOPP 4 in Bergen during the German Summer and we had to pull a jeep several miles and up a hill to the Barracks. I kid you not, and it's no exhaggeration, we were so soaking wet that we literally poured sweat out of our rubber MOPP booties and gloves. That was my worst experience with MOPP stuff and other than carrying the Pro Mask rubbing against my left leg, I tried to never use the thing or carry it. Now these 1970's to 80's M17's are at the cusp of collectibility. I've to one that's total and complete including the #1's and #2's (blue practice) decon pads.

Rock

gunbunnyB/3/75FA

don't forget about that bloomin' banana oil that was used to test the seal!! we had one nbc spec. who would use about 5oz. and crack the seal just "as a joke" til we hung him upside down in a trash can with 5oz just under his nose.

don't forget about that bloomin' banana oil that was used to test the seal!! we had one nbc spec. who would use about 5oz. and crack the seal just "as a joke" til we hung him upside down in a trash can with 5oz just under his nose.

FIVE OUNCES!!! :o

The test ampules were about the size of those old fashioned "stink bomb" things, probably 2cc of liquid in them...I can't imagine that five ounces would be like!!

gunbunnyB/3/75FA

FIVE OUNCES!!! :o

The test ampules were about the size of those old fashioned "stink bomb" things, probably 2cc of liquid in them...I can't imagine that five ounces would be like!!

like i said he would use way too much so thats why we did it, i still can't eat any thing containing banana's today.

Rakkasan187

The banana oil used to stink up the whole barracks for a few days after testing. Remember it well.. Our NBC room in Germany was in the basement of our WW2 German factory/converted to barracks after WW2.

Leigh

• 2 months later...
Fender Rhodes

It sucked wearing them in Kuwait in '03 while we trained for the invasion. We crossed the border in MOPP 2 and that sucked more than you can imagine...it was about two weeks before we were given the order to ditch the suits. The only thing good about them is that they suppressed body odor so you couldn't tell how bad everyone stunk.

It sucked wearing them in Kuwait in '03 while we trained for the invasion. We crossed the border in MOPP 2 and that sucked more than you can imagine...it was about two weeks before we were given the order to ditch the suits. The only thing good about them is that they suppressed body odor so you couldn't tell how bad everyone stunk.

The thing about that which just kills me is that you're never supposed to wear the things for that long. Think of all the punctures and abrasions a MOPP suit would have after a couple of weeks of being worn normally.

If you had experienced a chemical environment, most of your unit would have gone home in body bags. No, scratch that, they'd have been buried in place I'd suspect.

The scary part is that the military of course knows all this, but never has enough suits for people in combat zones. Commanders neither understand nor care about that fact.

And don't get me started about decon capabilities. What a freaking joke that is.

They knew that in Desert Shield/Storm, they knew that in Iraq in 2003, and they still know it but never have resupply positioned for people getting hit with real-world NBC threats. I know of people who had suicide pacts in Kuwait in 1991 with their battle buddies because they knew if they were hit with anything, the suits would just allow them time to ponder how royally hosed they really were before they died.

Fender Rhodes

The thing about that which just kills me is that you're never supposed to wear the things for that long. Think of all the punctures and abrasions a MOPP suit would have after a couple of weeks of being worn normally.

If you had experienced a chemical environment, most of your unit would have gone home in body bags. No, scratch that, they'd have been buried in place I'd suspect.

The scary part is that the military of course knows all this, but never has enough suits for people in combat zones. Commanders neither understand nor care about that fact.

And don't get me started about decon capabilities. What a freaking joke that is.

They knew that in Desert Shield/Storm, they knew that in Iraq in 2003, and they still know it but never have resupply positioned for people getting hit with real-world NBC threats. I know of people who had suicide pacts in Kuwait in 1991 with their battle buddies because they knew if they were hit with anything, the suits would just allow them time to ponder how royally hosed they really were before they died.

We knew it. When you crack the seal on the wrapper, they are only good for so long. We had one back up suit. But yes, we knew were likely dead men if we got slimed. We lived with and we charlie miked regardless. What else were we supposed to do?

We knew it. When you crack the seal on the wrapper, they are only good for so long. We had one back up suit. But yes, we knew were likely dead men if we got slimed. We lived with and we charlie miked regardless. What else were we supposed to do?

Yeah, any decent soldier knows it. It just infuriated me to find out as a newly minted O-1 that everyone would die in such a case because nobody about Platoon leader level seemed to take any steps to prevent casualties. One of my soldiers once said it best, "Why bother making us so uncomfortable if we're just gonna die anyway?"

Going through Unit NBC defense school sure didn't help. When we got to the part about tac nukes (you just press on through the fallout and worry about the rest much later, that's the official stance), I think we all collectively gave the instructor a Whiskey Tango Foxtrot reaction to that, even the E-6s and 7s.

Fender Rhodes

We never really worried about the nuke aspect of it. It wasn't a factor...at least the conventionally delivered missile variant. We worried more about the biological/chemical munitions that Iraq was thought to have. We went in at MOPP 2 with the gear for MOPP 4 within arms reach. Due to the short lifecycle of the gear once exposed, we practiced exiting the contaminated area as quickly as possible BUT I don't recall being passed info on the decon rally points. Scratch that, we were supposed to rally on the NBC 7-ton...but contingencies for what to do if the NBC vehicle was destroyed did not exist...at least to my knowledge. It was an F'ed up way to operate, but I know we just fatalistically did our jobs. But yes, it sucked and sucked big time.

Fender Rhodes

I edited the files so I can upload them now, take a look...

The boots...

attachicon.gifDSC_0017.jpg

By the way, those boots are repro knock offs...you can tell right away by the fabric/stitching of the collar and ankle reinforcements and the lacing eyelets.

Fender Rhodes

PS I'm attempting to pull all of my gear/uniforms together to do a photo essay much like the one Leigh (Rakkasan187) did in the '1980's gear question' thread. My gear isn't as complete (I wish I was a better pack rat back then), but there is enough to give someone a look into what your typical Marine was issued in the 90's.

PS I'm attempting to pull all of my gear/uniforms together to do a photo essay much like the one Leigh (Rakkasan187) did in the '1980's gear question' thread. My gear isn't as complete (I wish I was a better pack rat back then), but there is enough to give someone a look into what your typical Marine was issued in the 90's.

Looking forward to it Fender...

Glad to see you here again..

Leigh

DeltaOscarAlphaUSMC

By the way, those boots are repro knock offs...you can tell right away by the fabric/stitching of the collar and ankle reinforcements and the lacing eyelets.

I Knew it when I bought them, back at the surplus store they told me all of the genuine Jungle boots they get are really beat-up, and not even worth selling (keep in mind I live in Spain and surplus is not abundant), this way I got a pretty good quality replica pair. Besides, with a little use they look pretty good. (And that's me in my woodland 90s kit without the Flak vest).

PS: The boots have eyelets on the other side.

1891049_502061416570604_1556586436_n.jpg

1656321_502061456570600_1207410315_n.jpg

DeltaOscarAlphaUSMC

By the way, nice to see you back Fender. And I'm really looking forward to taking a look at you're gear, and posting mine. (almost done)

Daniel

Fender Rhodes

OK, before I get started I want to apologize up front for any inconsistencies in the pictures. I had to go in and scrub out my name on several items for PERSEC considerations.

With that said, here we go...

Top left and middle: GoreTex top and bottom...the top is a second generation with internal collar hood and slash pockets on the sleeves. Of note, we had a local seamstress make the fabric USMC slip on ranks as these were less likely to get caught on objects as would the metal pin on chevrons. I have a first Gen top, but preferred to post the 2nd Gen one. Bottoms are standard issue.

Top right: M65 Field Jacket Liner - When I first joined the Corps, GoreTex was not in the supply pipeline and we were issued M65 field jackets and liners. When GoreTex was issued, we turned in the M65 but were permitted to keep the liner.

Bottom right: Wool Sweater - Modeled on the British sweater, these things were universally hated due to their itchiness. I'm pretty sure I can count on two hands the amount of times I wore this in 21 years of service.

post-14750-0-90329100-1409423204.jpg

Fender Rhodes

Below the GoreTex top is a waterproof bag, commonly referred to as a 'Willy Peter' bag.

Below that is one of two woodland camo bags we were issued in boot camp. This one is the size of a small duffle bag and has a small, black zipper that runs the length of the opening.

Bottom left: PX purchase brown towel and next to that is my boot camp issued laundry bag. I had several more during my career but this one was the first. I have two others as well...

In the middle of the picture is a set of issue brown poly-pro cold weather underwear. These were issued for cold weather deployments and most of the time we were required to turn them in. I don't recall how I managed to keep from turning them in, but what they heck. They still work well.

post-14750-0-82921800-1409424260.jpg

Fender Rhodes

Opposite side of the poly-pros...

Standard issue duffle bag. We refer to it as a 'sea bag' in the Corps, as in 'He's doing the sea bag drag."

Below the sea bag is the smaller of the two camo bags we were issued in boot camp. It's the size of a small book bag.

post-14750-0-66940100-1409424316.jpg

Fender Rhodes

Top left: Standard All-Weather Coat. This was supposed to be wore with service uniforms but invariably could be found being worn by cammie-clad Marines standing post in inclement weather. It comes with a cold weather liner made of felt-like material with a satin-style lining. This one is my boot camp issue and hasn't fit me in years.

Top middle: Chocloate chip pattern kevlar helmet cover. Part of our CTEP issue during the Somalia crisis. It has a factory applied Eagle, Globe and Anchor stencil on the front.

Top right: Night Desert Parka...again part of our CTEP issue while Somalia was blowing up. Below that are my last pair of choclate chips...more on them shortly.

post-14750-0-18510500-1409424475.jpg

Fender Rhodes

Chocolate chip trousers on the left, blouse on the right. The blouse has the full size 'club patch' or USMC and EGA on the front left (as you wear it) pocket.

We were issued these from CTEP during the Somalia crisis. Interestingly, we were not required to hand them back in as the three color desert cammies were being phased in. We were told to keep them in case we were called upon to play agressors during exercises.

Being that these were organizational uniforms, they had been issued previously to another Marine. He had marked his name on the tag (likely for laundering purposes). I ended up marking his name out (for the same reason).

post-14750-0-33235900-1409424958.jpg

Fender Rhodes

Four BDU (Marines call them 'cammies') sets that I was issued or purchased before the Corps went to digital. You'll notice I left Sgt and SSgt chevrons on the cammies. I wore woodlands from Pvt to SSgt.

From left to right:

1. Heavy weight BDUs, post-Elvis collar era. I purchased this set at the Camp Lejeune PX in 1994. Notice the small EGA which replaced the WWII-style club patch. These were a back up set and the colors are still dark, almost new like.

2. Heavy weight BDUs, post-Elvis collar era. Again small EGA instead of the club patch. These are a little more worn, often referred to as being 'salty' by Marines. Saltier cammies denoted a more experienced Marine or so the thinking went. This one still has the laundry tag on it and some of the starch in the fabirc.

3. Basically the same as #2, only a little bit saltier.

4. Light weight, ripstop style BDU's. This was a 'field' uniform and is missing US Marine and name tags (which was permitted sometimes, depending on the unit or leadership). The trousers have the standard khaki web belt as well as a pair field suspenders. The field suspenders were not a standard issue item. I bought them at Saigon Sam's and liked them because they worked well. This pair of cammies were actually one of my original boot camp issue uniforms.

post-14750-0-00130900-1409425209.jpg

Fender Rhodes

Top left: I had several sets of boots over the years. Black leather, green jungle boots, etc. I decided to include the black jungle boots as a variation. These have Panama soles with speed lacing eyelets. I also had a dog tag laced into the left boot. These are well worn, yet shined. Blousing bands are secured around the boot midsection.

Top middle: Three light weight ripstop BDU 8-point hats or as Marines call them, 'covers.' It's hard to see, but the upturned one has a cover block in the crown and pack of matches in the front section to help hold form (they were also for emergency use).

Top right: One set of green service trousers with matching khaki long sleeve shirt. I did not include the necktie. Both trousers and shirt are boot camp issue, although I had lance corporal chevrons sewn on the shirt after my promotion. The shirt was paper thin and roundly hated. Generally Marines would pick up one of the higher quality Creighton-made shirts to replace the crappy boot camp ones.

The second grouping is of green service trousers and shirt sleeve khaki shirt. Along with the service cap (commonly referred to as a 'darling cap' or 'piss cutter') and khaki web belt, this unform is the Service C, referred to as 'Charlies' or 'Chucks'. This uniform was worn on Fridays in lieu of cammies on most Marine Corps bases. This set is also boot camp issue.

Bottom right: During the early 1990's, recruits were issued gray sweat suits in boot camp. Generally the recruit's name would be stenciled on the top and bottoms. It served as both an ID and laundry marking. If you were of fair skin (as I am), a red bar was spraypainted on the front of the chest of the sweat shirt. Once I arrived at Lejeune, I went to the exchange and purchased a replacement sweat shirt with the standard USMC marking. I also added the 'USMC' stencil to the thigh on the bottoms below where my name is.

Bottom middle: Four sets of standard issue green GI socks. Many wearings and launderings have discolored these socks over the years.

post-14750-0-78858200-1409427037.jpg

Fender Rhodes

This photo is focused on the shorts that were issued or purchased during my time.

But first...top left: NCO Basic Course t-shirt, 29 Palms. I took NCOBC there and as I waited for orders, I augmented the staff. Students wore yellow shirt with red logos and lettering and instructors wore the opposite. This is my cadre shirt...can't seem to find the student one...

Next to the NCOBC shirt is my issue scarf. These were worn with dress or field uniforms. They were itchy like the wool sweater but were better than nothing when it was cold.

Above the scarf is a pair of the beloved nylon 'silkies'. These were outlawed over the years but are a great piece of clothing. They can be worn as underwear in the field (if not in a hot weather environment) or as outer wear for PT.

To the right of the silkies are a pair of thigh length elastic fabric shorts. These were a purchase item at the PX and like the silkies could be worn as underwear or outer PT wear.

On the far right are a pair of the roundly hated cottom PT shorts. These were my boot camp issued shorts and when I got to the fleet, they went right in the bottom of my sea bag, never to be worn again. The fabric collected around the crotch and were extremely uncomfortable to wear durign physical activity.

Below the cottom shorts are a pair of 'UDT' diver shorts. These were en vogue during the 90's. A PX purchase item, I usually wore these during annual swim qualifications or if permitted, during small boat ops.

post-14750-0-01716900-1409427813.jpg

Fender Rhodes

A comparison shot of issued sweat suits.

I'm not sure of when but sometime during the late 90's the Marine Corps switched from the gray to the green sweat suits. While many of us were upset to see the grays put out to pasture, the greens had an added bonus. You were permitted to wear the sweat shirt under your cammie blouse if it was cold out. This pretty much spelled the end of the line for the wool sweater.

The USMC logos on the top and bottoms was factory applied.

post-14750-0-53699500-1409428505.jpg