"Woodland" reenactors?

Sabrejet

8. Who had m9 or m7 bayonets issued to them?

My two cents on the M-9 bayonet; as mentioned before, these were accountable items and rarely issued. The only time ours were issued was during a Bradley gunnery field exercise. Our platoons had to clear a wire obstacle and we were to use the M-9. These were found to be pretty much useless as the pivot on the scabbard would break off. That was the only time from 1986-1989 that I saw these leave the arms room.

• 2 weeks later...

We took M-9 Bayonets with us to the field, including jumps, from '87-'91 as I remember; after that they stayed in the Arms Room unless required.

Sgt_Rock_EasyCo

Our leadership didn't want them lost or anyone getting poked with them. Other than a bayonet charge in combat, they had little function other than opening a can. Most guys simply carried a USAF survival knife or some sort of kbar. Some had a machete.

Rock

Fender Rhodes

Bayonets rarely came out of the armory. Command was hesitant to do so in case some moron lost one. So we usually carried private purchase knives. Like I said, I either carried my SOG or Kabar, along with a leatherman or Swiss Army knife, tied to a dummy cord through a belt loop.

The second one from the top was the SOG knife model I carried. http://www.sogknivescollectors.com/attachments/Image/SOG%20Seal%202000/s2k%20w%20other%20sogs.jpg

• 3 months later...
DeltaOscarAlphaUSMC

Hey there! This topic has been silent for a while, but I just wanted to post a final quick picture I took of my woodland loadout before selling the PASGT vest. As well as my 2003 Iraq loadout.

post-150236-0-92399900-1446469464.jpeg

Hey there! This topic has been silent for a while, but I just wanted to post a final quick picture I took of my woodland loadout before selling the PASGT vest. As well as my 2003 Iraq loadout.

Man, I still can't believe the uniform I wore on active duty is historical now...

FYI, I never saw canteens being worn close to the hips like that. In my brigade, we wore LBVs and the canteens were along the back. We were a mech unit, so it was a pain riding in vehicles with out gear on like that...

• 2 weeks later...
DeltaOscarAlphaUSMC

Man, I still can't believe the uniform I wore on active duty is historical now...

FYI, I never saw canteens being worn close to the hips like that. In my brigade, we wore LBVs and the canteens were along the back. We were a mech unit, so it was a pain riding in vehicles with out gear on like that...

It was a quick picture I took and I just threw all the gear on, didn't really arange the LBV correctly, but normally I'd wear it snug against the buttpack. (An ex-marine on this thread told me it's the way they did it back in this same thread).

Sgt_Rock_EasyCo

In my unit we wore our gear with the front web belt unhooked much of the time. That way when we hit the prone our magazine pouches splayed out and we could get lower to the ground. When I was hanging with the Brits at Bragg and in Europe their gear was pretty much set up on their sides and back so that they could go prone with no problems.

Rock

Many of us used belt extenders (easily bought from clothing sales) for times we wanted the belts on the LBVs to be a little loose or on those (thankfully relatively) rare occasions we wore flak vests or MOPP suits.

Sgt_Rock_EasyCo

Nobody in our unit used an extender that I know of but it's a good idea to keep your ribs from crunching into the ammo pouches, which I think were a poor design. The Y-Straps were also a poor design as most of us preferred the older H Straps. The large ruck was a decent design but it cut the shoulders and hammered the lower back without much support or contact in the middle The later packs were contoured so that they didn't bounce around nearly as much.

Rock

In my battalion, most of us had the older style ALICE belt that did not have the quick release buckle. For these type belts, 550 cord was used as an extender as we wore our flak vest at all times when we were in the field or on gate guard.