"Woodland" reenactors?

Sabrejet

Fender Rhodes

Ouch. Sorry the last of that stuff that I had got destroyed in Iraq. I have one suit left but it wouldn't be correct for Desert Storm.

Good luck and S/F,

FR

Future Radio Tech

I've been putting together a Gulf War 101st Airborne Division Rifleman setup for a couple months now (I pick up gear here and there and at shows when there's no good Vietnam stuff. :lol::lol: ) But I have wanted to get together a SAW Gunner impression for Gulf War 101st Airborne also. Of course I could use both for "Woodland Era" (1990's.) Although I do have 3 questions:
1. Would a "Full Stock" SAW work for Gulf War/1990's era? Or Would I have to get one like in the picture that I've attached to this? (I'd Like to call the stock "Skeletal" but the Para M249 has more of a "Skeletal" type stock than it)
2. Would troops wear the PASGT Flak Vest while stateside for training or would they just wear their gear without the vest?
and 3. Which Ruck? Medium ALICE? Or Large ALICE?

post-20363-0-41855300-1372322550.jpg

Fender Rhodes

Nick,

I joined the Corps as Desert Storm was winding down and was subsequently assigned to a SAW (after a stint as an RTO). I had a fully stocked M249.

As for the kevlar flaks, it depended on the exercise but for the most part, we did not wear them and went with LBE only. The exception was always live fire, whether it be small arms or grenades, etc. Then we had no choice.

R/

FR

flashesandovals

I've been putting together a Gulf War 101st Airborne Division Rifleman setup for a couple months now (I pick up gear here and there and at shows when there's no good Vietnam stuff. :lol::lol: ) But I have wanted to get together a SAW Gunner impression for Gulf War 101st Airborne also. Of course I could use both for "Woodland Era" (1990's.) Although I do have 3 questions:

1. Would a "Full Stock" SAW work for Gulf War/1990's era? Or Would I have to get one like in the picture that I've attached to this? (I'd Like to call the stock "Skeletal" but the Para M249 has more of a "Skeletal" type stock than it)

2. Would troops wear the PASGT Flak Vest while stateside for training or would they just wear their gear without the vest?

and 3. Which Ruck? Medium ALICE? Or Large ALICE?

Except for the handguard, which is the standard FN one, the gun looks exactly like the ones used by the US Army during Panama and ODS. Full butt stocks and collapsible carrying handles only surfaced after these deployments.

Please consult my website for more info on period equipment (info only - no sales).

www.desertstorm1991.com

Hello everybody, I just wanted to share some pics of the Gulf War era. I know it's far to be perfect so please be indulgent to me.

r52410.jpg

dsc01518.jpg

dsc01519.jpg

dsc01517.jpg

Darktrooper

Ditch the Bonnie cap around your neck, if it gets caught on something you'll get choked. I usually stuffed mine in my pant leg cargo pocket

Get yourself a Protective Mask Carrier (commonly called a gasmask) for an M17 or M40 (the early issued one)

Find an M16A1 or A2, not an M4

If you are carrying a pistol, you're either an officer, tanker, or an MP. So if you are doing a generic infantry impression get rid of it.

Ditch the Bonnie cap around your neck, if it gets caught on something you'll get choked. I usually stuffed mine in my pant leg cargo pocket

Get yourself a Protective Mask Carrier (commonly called a gasmask) for an M17 or M40 (the early issued one)

Find an M16A1 or A2, not an M4

If you are carrying a pistol, you're either an officer, tanker, or an MP. So if you are doing a generic infantry impression get rid of it.

Hello Darktrooper,

I thank you for your constructive advices, it will help to improve my future pics with a more accurate loadout.

I knew the M4 was not the good weapon but it's the only replica I have in stock.

Soon I will post some pics with night desert camo, hope you will like them....unfortunately allways with the M4...

flashesandovals

For some reason (maybe the picture), I think that your canteen covers and butt pack are repros.

You may want to change your canteen caps to M1 drinking caps as well.

Good start - keep going!

Get the NBC tops for the canteens. Remember we were doing Mopp level 4 for real and drinking water becomes important when you dont know how long you will be wearing the mask and all the other stuff. I put my soft covers whether choc chip boonie or woodland regular soft cover in my pants cargo pocket. Never wore it around my neck. I would also loose the butt pack as the ALICE pack medium size with or with out frame was the standard issue. Get yourself the M17a1 mask and carrier the m17 version is VN era. Officers SNCO's tankers and armorers had pistols. I was TDY to the MWSS-373 MP company from 1 NOV 90- 26 FEB 91 and no one below the rank of SSGT had pistols. We all had M-16A2's, Kabar's were issued only to those that had pistols all others were issued an M-7 bayonet but private owned knives of every description were carried from hunting blades to daggers.

Mack

Fender Rhodes

Get the NBC tops for the canteens.

And they should be the black ones. The black ones were still in widespread service back then...I want to say that the green ones didn't start coming out until after ODS (but I could be wrong on that).

willysmb44

When I was researching DS for the 20th anniversary, I found several books for modelers which were written during the buildup. They were very useful in realizing what was being used, because they were published before the ground war started. A couple of them are seen here: http://desertstorm20th.webs.com//photos/Publications/bookage.jpg

Get the NBC tops for the canteens. Remember we were doing Mopp level 4 for real and drinking water becomes important when you dont know how long you will be wearing the mask and all the other stuff. I put my soft covers whether choc chip boonie or woodland regular soft cover in my pants cargo pocket. Never wore it around my neck. I would also loose the butt pack as the ALICE pack medium size with or with out frame was the standard issue. Get yourself the M17a1 mask and carrier the m17 version is VN era. Officers SNCO's tankers and armorers had pistols. I was TDY to the MWSS-373 MP company from 1 NOV 90- 26 FEB 91 and no one below the rank of SSGT had pistols. We all had M-16A2's, Kabar's were issued only to those that had pistols all others were issued an M-7 bayonet but private owned knives of every description were carried from hunting blades to daggers.

Mack

Remember, as Lee stated earlier, units during Desert Shield / Desert Storm had huge differences in equipment & uniform standards, mostly due to lack of available uniforms and equipment, and a unit's MTOE (Modified Table of Organizational Equipment)

Almost everyone in my company in the 82d had butt packs on their webgear, mostly to carry stuff needed while conducting patrols (NODS, spare batteries, MREs, etc.). M9 pistols were carried by the CO CDR, 1SG, XO, M60 Machine Gunners, and Gunners and Asst Gunners on the 2 x M224 60mm Mortars. Never, ever saw a boonie hat, as our illustrious Division Commander deemed that everyone the 82d would wear their Kevlar Parachutist helmet all the time, unless doing PT.

We were never issued the DCU covers for out flak jackets - I ended up wearing mine under my DCU shirt.

Attached are two photos taken with a Sears 110 camera - wanted to layout all the crap I had to carry LOL!

null_zpsef2c062c.jpg

null_zps8bcf325c.jpg

flashesandovals

Remember, as Lee stated earlier, units during Desert Shield / Desert Storm had huge differences in equipment & uniform standards, mostly due to lack of available uniforms and equipment, and a unit's MTOE (Modified Table of Organizational Equipment)

Almost everyone in my company in the 82d had butt packs on their webgear, mostly to carry stuff needed while conducting patrols (NODS, spare batteries, MREs, etc.). M9 pistols were carried by the CO CDR, 1SG, XO, M60 Machine Gunners, and Gunners and Asst Gunners on the 2 x M224 60mm Mortars. Never, ever saw a boonie hat, as our illustrious Division Commander deemed that everyone the 82d would wear their Kevlar Parachutist helmet all the time, unless doing PT.

We were never issued the DCU covers for out flak jackets - I ended up wearing mine under my DCU shirt.

Attached are two photos taken with a Sears 110 camera - wanted to layout all the crap I had to carry LOL!

null_zpsef2c062c.jpg

null_zps8bcf325c.jpg

Excellent pictures!

Nice evidence of M1956 (H-type) suspenders still being used too.

Thanks,

Pascal

Fender Rhodes

Excellent pictures!

Nice evidence of M1956 (H-type) suspenders still being used too.

Thanks,

Pascal

Or are they nylon M1967 suspenders? From the angle, I can't see if they have 'J' hooks on them...

Nope - old school M1956 canvas "H" Straps. Distributed the weight a bit better - I'll post a list of what i can remember of what was carried as well

flashesandovals

Nope - old school M1956 canvas "H" Straps. Distributed the weight a bit better - I'll post a list of what i can remember of what was carried as well

I'll be looking forward to that!

Also, what is the item under the goggles?

Those were still very popular with many soldiers right up until the "MOLLE era" began, in both MP and Infantry units that I was in. Some hung onto the H-style while the rest of us transitioned to LBVs and then ELBVs. I would say that by 2002 or so, I wasn't seeing any more ALICE-era LBE (except packs), even in the Guard.

In Bahrain at Sheik Isa Air Base we were using PRC-77's as far as the harness for them dont know ours were static or carried in the hummers we never humped them.

Mack