"Woodland" reenactors?

Sabrejet

Also it would seem to be that the units that were scrambled and arrived over there first were not as well equipped as units that arrived later. My Unit arrived at King Fahd airport on August 21st 1991 and it was chaos. We didnt know where we going. Didnt know if we were going to an airfield or on the line to serve a light Marine company. Luckily for us we went to Bahrain, if Saddam had rolled across the Saudi border we would have been a speed bump. We did not have tents with us and lived on the A/C wash rack for a couple of days then the car port for a couple more before MWSS-373 started to show up with equipment. It was almost 2 weeks without a shower in 100 plus temps 90% humidity. So if you are doing early Desert Shield than salt stained uniforms should be the norm. As things leveled out we got more comforts regular showers and a laundry setup. I cannot speak to others as this was my little slice of the time.

Mack

We got on the ground on 15 AUG 90 and immediately went into acclimitazation mode (which was VERY quick) and started running patrols and setting up engagement areas in and around Highway 8 between Dharhan & Jubayl, in case the proverbial Iraqi hoard came south. Still have the photocopied map w/ grids & engagement areas on it & laminated. We knew we were a speed bump, but if the Republican Guard had tried for Dharhan, they would of been in some serious shite. We also had a Marine LAV-25 Battalion operating with us once we moved to establish a FARP outside of An Nu Ariyah.

Didn't get issued the stupid desert boots - which sucked - until the day before the ground war started. The fact that we were only issued 2 sets of DCUs for the 8 months we were there gave us a nice "salty" look when we went to redeploy. There were kids in the 82nd that showed up to Saudi, right outta jump school, in Jan 91, deployed, and were back at Bragg within 90 days, with their 4 sets of nice, shiny DCUs and combat desert boots LOL!

Once I get my household goods delivered, I'll scan & post some pictures.

H-MINUS!

We got on the ground on 15 AUG 90 and immediately went into acclimitazation mode (which was VERY quick) and started running patrols and setting up engagement areas in and around Highway 8 between Dharhan & Jubayl, in case the proverbial Iraqi hoard came south. Still have the photocopied map w/ grids & engagement areas on it & laminated. We knew we were a speed bump, but if the Republican Guard had tried for Dharhan, they would of been in some serious shite. We also had a Marine LAV-25 Battalion operating with us once we moved to establish a FARP outside of An Nu Ariyah.

Didn't get issued the stupid desert boots - which sucked - until the day before the ground war started. The fact that we were only issued 2 sets of DCUs for the 8 months we were there gave us a nice "salty" look when we went to redeploy. There were kids in the 82nd that showed up to Saudi, right outta jump school, in Jan 91, deployed, and were back at Bragg within 90 days, with their 4 sets of nice, shiny DCUs and combat desert boots LOL!

Once I get my household goods delivered, I'll scan & post some pictures.

H-MINUS!

Ahhh, the memories! 3/505 trooper here Chris - I believe we've "Chatted" on the WWII forum before. Are you back at Bragg?

Jeff

I'm glad to see that others collect items for a "Urgent Fury" and "Just Cause" impression. I don't do reanacting or living history but just collect. Even though Woodland BDUs are very common, finding the early unissued "Elvis" collar jackets and pants size L or XL with early dates are quite difficult(at least for me). Early dated Woodlan Flak Vests dated pre 1983 is also a hard to find item in L or XL and in nice shape. Operation Urgent Fury was at a transition point in the U.S. Military. O.D. Rip stop Jungle fatigues, Woodland BDUs and RDF or ERDL fatigues were all deployed. Now for Operation Just Cause, I also had a tough time finding unissued 1988-1989 light weight Woodland BDUs in size L or XL.

Here is a shot of 314's Avionics division (electric shop and com/nav shop) showing us in our one set of choc chips. This pic was taken after the cease fire and before we left Bahrain so it is before 3-13-91 and after 2-28-91. Note we are all wearing black boots also. Also no one has the EGA and USMC ironed on, we just didnot have time to do it.

Mack

547165_3595120831331_1072753847_33236561_227789671_n.jpg

Ahhh, the memories! 3/505 trooper here Chris - I believe we've "Chatted" on the WWII forum before. Are you back at Bragg?

Jeff

Roger that brother - how you been?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
reddevil1311

I have not done any reenacting or living history events in this "period" of US militaria, but have attended a couple of events as a "walking display". I am missing the armor vest, but these are "work in progress" sets.

Ashley

IMGP4206.jpg

IMGP4217.jpg

IMGP4229.jpg

I know our choc chip uniforms (USAF flightline crew chief) we didn't have stripes only a velcro piece over our left breast for a leather name tag which only had our name and rank (If I remember correctly) I will dig it out and post it.

Scott

• 4 months later...
Fender Rhodes

As i said before... REMEMBER will do a reenactment for the Operation JUST CAUSE and the drop of the 2nd Battalion at

RIO HATO on the 20th of December 1989 H-hour 0103

here you can see teh typical loadout of a RANGER "Maggot" all explosives/weapon and ammo are neutralised-demilitarised or dummy

post-64352-1340358776.jpg

Awesome stuff Greg. I have a lot of friends that were Panama Raiders. I know they would appreciate your efforts.

Best,

FR

Reddevil:

Don't carry the rifle by the carrying handle. Drill Sergeants beat that into our brains not to carry them that way.

Dont put your finger in the trigger well. Rest it on the magazine well.

You should also try to get an M-16A1 or A2 instead of the M-4

With the NBC gear, You really need a MOPP Suit, and the gloves go on before before the MOPP suit (so any NBC contaminants don't go into the glove)

I never put my E-tool on my webgear, I attached it to the side of my ruck sack.

Just a FYI. Airsoft and reenactor are two different things. The airsofters are tactical gear whores and the hobby is an excuse for them to wear tactical gear and play in war games. While Reenactor do it for exhibits and such.

As i said before... REMEMBER will do a reenactment for the Operation JUST CAUSE and the drop of the 2nd Battalion at

RIO HATO on the 20th of December 1989 H-hour 0103

here you can see teh typical loadout of a RANGER "Maggot" all explosives/weapon and ammo are neutralised-demilitarised or dummy

post-64352-1340358776.jpg

Great idea! I should do this kind of display someday.

Fender Rhodes

I'm actually going to put together Panama Raider display for an event in Nokesville, VA in August. I have all the stuff sitting around, just have to assemble it...

Sgt_Rock_EasyCo

You guys are making me feel old.

I forget that it's been almost 30 years this year since the Beirut USMC attack and then we deployed to Grenada. You know your old when your uniforms are considered vintage collectibles and people are putting together historical displays. I'll have to pull everything out of my footlockers and take some pictures. I've got erdl's, jungle fatigues, bdu's, gear, helmet, boots, papers, pictures and all that junk that will make some collector very happy when they buy my footlockers for $50 some day.

Wow!

M1 Steel pot, from the last ones ordered.

Woodland BDUs

M14 rifle

M1967 suspenders

Alice QR belt with the black buckle

Alice mag pouches with the straps cut out.

M1967 canteen cover with 1qt

Alice canteen cover with 1qt, Canteen cup new style, and 1991 desert canteen stove (one with the bottom in it)

XM3 bipod and cover (works on M14 gas cylinder)

Three day training butt pack up on M1967 hooks

M10 scabbard with M6 bayonet

Field dressing pouch with field dressing

highgradewooparse2.jpg

Spare Gear and some items used for cold weather.

Late style arctic canteen pouch, with cup and canteen older style.

Spare alice pouches all tyles

9mm pouch

Vietnam M1916 holster

SAW pouches

MBITR pack pouch

DAGR pouch

Two PRC-127 pouches

IMG00553.jpg

Navy Mk1 Mod 0 ammo can

M1 Ammo bag (this one is canvas, but inside the can are two Nylon ones from the 80s

Alice Medium pouch has

2qt canteen and pouch

Jungle First Aid kit nylon

Folding shovel and plastic holder

3x mag lens holder

Butt Stock, Nylon strap, Was made to strap the M16/M14 to the Lightweight rucksack, but it works on the Alice medium ruck older type that has the grommet holes.

Inside the packs are six MREs, fuel for canteen stove, woodland Poncho, woodland Poncho liner, ACU pillow, mess kit and utencils, the right angle flash light and some various other small items

IMG00552.jpg

IMG00550.jpg

Yeah I know it's an M14. But there were some diehards that wouldn't give them up in Grenada, Panama, Somalia, and Desert storm.

I have the Steel Pot from the last group ordered, or pretty darn close too it.

I have just about everything,

Not pictured is my complete M65 clothing gear, with liners, BATA black boots, and M1950 overwhites. Yes I DO use them, and I WILL pull the grease off my M14 once in a while and put the Arctic LAW oil on and go out and shoot in the cold!

Sgt_Rock_EasyCo

Actually, the M14 was not an issue item unless you were a qualified sniper. They were known as the "M21 System) during Grenada and were all Nationally Matched and scoped for sniper usage only. They had plastic cleaning rods to keep the bore from getting scratched and were only to be cleaned by armorers unless in combat. These rifles were few and far between during Grenada. You're better off with an M60 or M16A1. Rangers carried CAR 15's, M16A's and M60's. They may also have had a few M21's but I wasn't hanging with them much since we were all on the move.

So a basic M14 for Grenada would not be realistic, sorry to say.

Rock

• 3 months later...
msgt norway

isnt there anyone else that do woodland reenact/live history?

im stil planning new pictures of the 1980s to end of 1999.

so keep tuned in :)

cheers ken,norway

Ken,

Ill be doing an event in October and Im going as myself 22 years ago during Desert Storm Im getting together the final Items I need to do it.

Mack

Fender Rhodes

Mack,

Anything in particular that you are looking for to complete your impression?

I have a bunch of stuff laying around from that timeframe. I joined just as Desert Storm was winding down.

Let me know.

S/F

FR

Basically I just need NBC equipment. Looking for the rubber gloves and rubber bootees I have a mask carrier and suit on order.

Mack