"Yeah, we're honoring vets..."

willysmb44

willysmb44

respect.jpg

Someone sent this to me a moment ago, taken at a public event at Bedford. :blink:

Yeah. Look at that photo and tell me again how all re-enactors are "honoring" vets... :thumbdown:

hbtcoveralls

children playing dress up. Looks like a bust of Montgomery, I dare say that I would not have been pleased to see this behavior in person. And I'm not a fan of "Monty".

Tom Bowers

Ignoramuses!! Monty and Ike might not always have seen eye to eye but he was a great commander at a time when we (ie Great Britain) needed one. He led us to victory at El Alamein and thereafter into Germany, following D-Day. He is highly honoured here and it saddens me to see those kids playing soldiers and disrespecting him! I hope they aren't associated with this forum?!

AAF_Collection

Whether you are a fan of Montgomery or not that is just plain stupid. What "event" was this?.

Hitman_one

Where in Bedford is that taken?It looks like a memorial garden or something.

I dont know what the American view of Monty was/is but this is highly disrespectful.

Johan Willaert
Where in Bedford is that taken?It looks like a memorial garden or something.

I dont know what the American view of Monty was/is but this highly disrespectful.

D-Day memorial at Bedford, VA

http://www.dday.org/

Jeeper704

Not a fan of Montgomery either but this is very disrespectful and disgusting.

Seems today anything goes ...

Erwin

p2tharizo

Do you really think anyone in that picture even know who he was? I think you're giving them too much credit by assuming they even understand the relationship there.

Do you really think anyone in that picture even know who he was? I think you're giving them too much credit by assuming they even understand the relationship there.

I presume the plaque attached to the plinth would contain the relevant information?

panzerbait

What a bunch of buffoons. "Honoring Veterans?!?" That's a funny way to do it. Maybe they need to take off the replica uniforms and be satisfied to just sit in front of their game consoles and play war videos instead of trying to be cute at a War memorial.

They need educating. They evidently don't realise that the freedom they enjoy today is due in part to such allied military leaders as Field Marshall Montgomery...remembered fondly as "Monty" by us here in the UK.

If this 1SG had been there, I guarantee you all that there would of been "corrective training," roger?

Lee - just sent you a PM on this

Chris

respect.jpg

Someone sent this to me a moment ago, taken at a public event at Bedford. :blink:

Yeah. Look at that photo and tell me again how all re-enactors are "honoring" vets... :thumbdown:

If ignorance is bliss, these guys have got to be delirious. Very sad. :dry:

Please allow me to join the chorus of embarrassed Yanks. My sincere apologies to our British cousins across the pond and if I ever meet one of these knuckleheads I will be sure and give them an arse chewing like they have never had before.

Capa (Fielding)

Rakkasan187

If they are members of an organized group, I would like to see them banned from future events.

Pitiful and immature.

I agree with my brother lewis505

Corrective training would have been dealt out if this retired senior NCO saw this type of behavior...

Totaly unacceptable..

:thumbdown: :mad: :disgust:

Leigh..

Thank you Fielding. We know it's not a widespread thing...just the misguided high spirits of a minority!

IMHO, I think we can put this down to a lack of education and what I'd call "The Call of Duty Effect". These kids probably have a very scant knowledge of the history of WW2, but they fight virtual battles on their PlayStations / X-Boxes, or whatever, for hours on end and think it's cool to dress up like "G.I. Joe" and play soldiers without really understanding the whys and wherefores. To them, it's just an extension of the game.

Rakkasan187

Here's a thought..

"No Brains, No Headaches" They obviously lack the cerebral organ....

Leigh..

It's quiet obvious from the Photo's non of these guys ever served in the Military or served there Country either playing Army how sad !!

Because if they did they would be Very Well Disciplined which none of them are,

Holding a Rifle to the Statue's Head how childish they all are they really need to grow up..... :thumbdown:

There are all kinds off suggestions about anyting but true corrective action; kind of like the group photo of the active duty troops in the transfer case some time ago. These guys did something wrong now it is time to find out who they are, contact them and offer more sensible corrective action. It looks to me like a lot of time & money has gone into assembling this gear to obtain this look. Just as that photo of the transfer case this one photo does not make this group anything more than a bunch of guys who made a mistake. It could very easily benefit this forum to offer encouragement to these guys on how to do a proper portrayal; that when they are dressed & assembled in this manner they are representing not just reenactors but the men they are trying to portray.

Lads-

Contacted the OIC of the reenactor unit in the picture via email & ended up talking to him about an hour ago. The picture was not meant to be disrespectful, nor to be posted online. It was actually taken for a WWII vet of the 82d in reference to this veteran's opinion of Montgomery & his tactics. Once we talked he understood our point of view & I think he's on the same sheet of music as everyone else. Pretty good guy actually & regrets that the picture got out like it did.