WWII Navy/ Marine Corps Ribbon Bar

GIKyle

Found this along with a cased Purple Heart (Not related) at an antique store. Very nice bar-- the Gold Star is really interesting and unique as I've never seen one before. Kyle

post-537-1200018428.jpgpost-537-1200018415.jpg

Found this along with a cased Purple Heart (Not related) at an antique store. Very nice bar-- the Gold Star is really interesting and unique as I've never seen one before. Kyle

Nice ribbon ! That gold star is the larger type issued with the medal that was supposed to go on the ribbon of the medal itself. They were issued on a litttle white card and normally were not " pre-affixed " to the ribbom of the medal . A lot of guys used them on their ribbon bars instead .

The early stars were usually 10K gold, but I have seen some that are Gold plated silver too.

Kurt

Very nice ribbon bar. USMC still wears the large style gold stars on personal decorations. It's not uncommon to see a ribbon on some racks that looks like it's made of gold stars -- can barely tell which medal it is if they have, for example, 4 Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medals. Navy and Coast Guard are the same way. It gets a little bit silly looking with the large gold stars if there's more than one on the ribbon.

If this bar ever needs a new home, please let me know!

Great bar. What is also neat about this ribbon bar is the Tinnerman clutches and the blue star on the PUC ( indicates that the person was originally present in the unit awarded the PUC). Neat.

Kyle,

Very nice ribbon rack! It's obvious they're the Wolf-Brown ribbon bars, but can you tell me if they have PAT. APPL'D FOR, PAT. PEND. or PAT. NO. 2392351 written on the back. Because W-B applied for patent on Jan 29, 1944 and was granted patent on these bars on January 8, 1946, chances are, if they're the PAT. APPL'D FOR, PAT. PEND. marked ones, they were worn prior to September 1945 and if patented, after January 1946.

Gary

Thanks all for the comments... Gary- I'll take a closer look but my first glance in there I could not make out any writing due to the pins of the devices being folded straight over the slit in the back of the ribbon bar.

Is there any reason the PUC is a little longer and the PTO ribbon is a little shorter than the norm?

Kyle

Thanks all for the comments... Gary- I'll take a closer look but my first glance in there I could not make out any writing due to the pins of the devices being folded straight over the slit in the back of the ribbon bar.

Is there any reason the PUC is a little longer and the PTO ribbon is a little shorter than the norm?

Kyle

I've heard that early in the war, before standardization came into effect, Navy/Marine ribbons were a bit shorter