Collecting Cold War/SAC items??

curio bill

I tried several searches here, but nothing that really fit came up.....So.......

I have recently developed an interest in Cold War Strategic Air Command bombers (prompted by reading about Jimmy Stewart & the B36). Does anyone here collect SAC from the late 40's thru mid 60's items?? Especially items that can be linked to specifc types of bombers like b36, b47 or b58?? Any pics you want to share?? Thanks, Bill

In what regards? I've taken an interest in the SAC era myself from the mid 50s thru early 70s. The Northeast had a number of SAC bases, visiting these installations today, most of which are join Military guard/reserve and civil now prompted me to take interest. I've been collecting patches from SAC bases within the Northeastern US. A base guide and a few other misc items I've also gathered. If patches and what not from specific units that had B-52s, B-47s and FB-111s work I can post some stuff up. I've wanted to collect the aircraft manuals and checklists but nothing really has come up to affordable other than some KC-97 checklists which was def vital to SAC.

What a cultured person you are. If you are interested in SAC items from 1980 to 1991 I'll let you rent me for the right price.

The 26th Bombardment Squadron (H) flew B-36 "Peacemakers" out of Carswell AFB in the 50s (Think "Strategic Air Command" starring James Stewart)

post-8022-1335772818.jpg

(I listed this in the F/S section several weeks ago!)

curio bill
What a cultured person you are. If you are interested in SAC items from 1980 to 1991 I'll let you rent me for the right price.

:thumbdown:

I do NOT collect anything that eats......... :rolleyes:

mohawkALSE

Well I decided Id add a few misc items I have. C/KC-97 might not seem like a very interesting aircraft but it was surely vital to SAC's early operation before the KC-135A started taking over.

First item is a C-97D Navigators checklist.

C97D.jpg

97range.jpg

ATC.jpg

I was actually able to determine the aircraft it came from doing a little hunting around. C-97D's were primarily used as VIP aircraft for SAC from what I've gathered. This particular CL had a small typed sheet in it mentioned headings, distances and time from Westover AFB, MA so one would figure it must have been an aircraft assigned there. Westover in fact did have a VIP C-97D there to support the 8th Air Force, and SACs 99th Bomb Wing (H). The aircraft's serial number was 45-59596 which was sent to the bone yard in 1969. I find the other small sheet interesting regarding ATC transponder beacon codes. At the bottom it mentioned the codes for NORAD and SAC aircraft.

The other checklist I have is for an Engineer on a KC-97F or G. This came from just outside of the former Westover, AFB now ARB and has a crewman's last name on it. I looked that name up to find a KC-97 flight engineer who was assigned to the 4050th Air Refueling Wing at Westover, AFB. Again the pieces kind of fell together linking it back to its origins.

KC-97.jpg

Has a number of takeoff and landing data cards as well as some small plastic TOLD cards that look like they may have been calculated by the FE and then given to the pilots and mounted to the yoke.

:thumbdown:

I do NOT collect anything that eats......... :rolleyes:

You don't know what you are missing... my best souvenir from my tour in Germany is upstairs watching her favorite vampire romance!

caseloadr

I try to collect SAC items from that time frame also , father inlaw was with SAC in Lincoln Nebraska late 50 early 60's, then based at Schilling AFB in Kansas and had a cousin that sat in Titian silo before being removed at McConnell in mid 80's. I have collected a number of photos and patches. Was screwed out of manual on B47 a couple of years back . I was high bidder on ebay and some guy claimed to be one of a restoration crew of a B47 in Witchita KS and asked me to back off on and he would send me a copy of the manual. I did and got screwed . Only reason I backed off I knew a guy that was on the board of museum at that time and wanted to help out if I could.

Third Herd

I grew up in Lincoln, Ne with the B-47's and KC-97's flying around. My parents took me to see them take off and land. I got to see when all the planes took off on alert, the B-47's wings on the end had their wings flapping like birds. Saw a mock-up Atlas missile set up to show the public what they were putting in the silos around the area. Then Offutt AFB is down the road 50-miles. When ever I see a SAC item I don't have I get it, I miss the thrift stores having stuff. I even tried to walk off with a white silo coverall from my High School, when they closed the silos they gave a bunch to the school system, but the teacher saw me stuff it in my gym bag in 1968.

Lee Ragan

Anyone who collects SAC stuff is cultured indeed! When you care enough to send the very best! :thumbsup:

I'm 28 and I have been collecting SAC since I was 13. My flight instructor in high school was a retired USAF Col. who spent a fair amount of time with SAC. He was also the NHANG AF advisor as his last post. I was really hooked when I went to the ME ANG base for a week for the FAA's aviation career education camp. We stayed in the transient officers barracks and the dinner trays still had the the squadron logo for the Over the horizon backscatter radar unit. Not to mention they flew every form of neat SAC interceptor! What a trip...even flew on a KC-135 that still had a big SAC starbelt on a banner inside!

• 4 weeks later...

Don't worry, he doesn't eat, he just makes suppliments.

Here's a few shots from a SAC base in 1971:

scan0094-1.jpg

scan0087-1.jpg

scan0086-2.jpg

scan0085.jpg

scan0084-1.jpg

scan0083.jpg

scan0082.jpg

not to bad for using a 126 camera

Ikar,

I took the liberty of running these through Photoshop. If the colors are off, I apologize.

SAC1_b.jpg

Sac4b.jpg

Johnny Signor

You may want to try thr webmaster over at this site, he may be able to give you some leads, good luck !

strategic-air-command.com

Lots of patches on his site ....................

Johnny

• 2 weeks later...
Charlie Flick

SAC is a marvelous subject to study. For a while, years ago in my collecting career, I was chasing the jet pilot helmets. Here are a couple of the survivors.

flighthelmets003ed.jpg

Right now I am most interested in the small arms used by SAC and other USAF aircrew and Air Police/Security Police. Curtis LeMay had a lot to do with reviving interest in firearms competency in the USAF during the 1960s. Aa a result the USAF small arms are an especially interesting area to study.

SAC_EliteGuard_Scott_Peace_Sign.jpg

Regards,

Charlie

• 3 months later...

The early years of the USAF, and SAC in particular are a big interest of mine too. You have a couple of very nice P helmets there!

I collect B-36 items (because of my affliction) and I also fancy SAC items, for my father was in that organization when I was born, before moving on to the SAM FOX group. You might say he was in at the "golden time" of SAC from 1952 or so to 1965. When ever I see the movie Bombers B-52, Karl Malden portrays my father perfectly.

gwb123, those look much better, thanks. Wish I could do that with the rest. Those go back to Ellsworth in 1971 and U-Tapao in 71/72. One of the advantages of my job was being able to sneak in some photo time every now and then.