Spur model ?????

solcarlus

hbtcoveralls

I think Randy Steffen's book refers to them as the model of 1885, which were superceded in 1911. They originally had iron Rowells and are manufactured of brass.

Tom Bowers

Bonjour.

Merci for this response element. Is there a model 1903 or 1904? We are in discussion on this topic with friends collectors.

regards solcarlus.

hbtcoveralls

Good question. In Steffen's books, which are gloriously detailed, He illustrates that style spur and notes it as the model of 1885. Later, he illustrates what appear to be the same spurs in the list of cavalry equipments recommended by the 1900 cavalry board but doesn't list them with any "model of" distinction. Not until the 1911 spurs does he list a new model. The regulations at that time also don't list any particular model, just note the finish. I suppose that it to allow wear of privately purchased spurs of varying style. My copy of " Horse equipments and Equipments for officers and enlisted men" printed first printed May 10, 1905 with revisions to 1908 illustrates that style spur but again doesn't note any "model of" distinction. The only apparent difference illustrated is that officers were supposed to have spurs plated with white metal rather than brass. Good question.

Tom Bowers

I also have this documentation. Indeed, no precise model of the spur. But when I look at the drawings with a magnifying glass, one sees a difference between "officers" and "enlisted". Presence of a "nipple" on "enlisted".

Following my research, the Model 1885, this "nipple" is not present. thinking-20060614.gif

Phil.

hbtcoveralls

IN this case perhaps, the change to the existing M1885 spur was not considered sufficiently different to require an entirely new model designation. Very nice spurs by the way. They appear to have been unearthed, is there any story behind them?

Tom Bowers

solcarlus

Bonjour.

Absolutely, this change is not a new model of the spur.

I do not know the meaning of the topic of jack.

Only goes to show......one cannot stump this forum! :thumbsup:

Merci à vous deux ;)

solcarlus.

I had always considered the 1885 and 1902 model spurs to be two different animals. It hadn't occurred to me that they would both have the same pattern name (i.e."pattern 1885 spurs") the only real difference that I can tell between the 1885 and 1902 spurs is the addition of the little nipples to hold the straps. Perhaps the best description of these spurs is: "pattern 1885 spurs made to 1902 specs."

The spurs pictured are Rock Island Arsenal model 1903s for an enlisted trooper, the little stud sticking out between where the spur strap goes is what identifies these as 1903s with out the little stud they would be 1885s. I'm not positive on 1885s but the 1903 officers spurs are similar to the enlisted spurs but nickle plated and have more points on the rowels. :thumbsup:

hbtcoveralls

Just wondering where you found the "model of 1902" designation? The references that I have don't show a model designation just a drawing and photo. Is that designation in the QM references for example? just curious since that was the reason for the original question. I've heard the 1902 or 1905 term applied to these spurs, but I thought this might be a collector's term and not an actual designation.

Thanks

Tom Bowers

Bonjour.

Totally agree with this opinion. An official document to prove the existence of different models before those of 1885 and 1911.

solcarlus.

Just wondering where you found the "model of 1902" designation? The references that I have don't show a model designation just a drawing and photo. Is that designation in the QM references for example? just curious since that was the reason for the original question. I've heard the 1902 or 1905 term applied to these spurs, but I thought this might be a collector's term and not an actual designation.

Thanks

Tom Bowers