Arado 234

Plant#4

Here is a nice photo of the nose of the AR 234. The pilot Capt. Jim Little was killed in a P-80 3-23-47 or so it states on the back of the photo. The photo is back marked Air Material Command.

Cheers! Dave

post-2156-1199989345.jpg

Groovy! I've got a thing for captured birds... this is a nice shot, thanks for posting it.

The aircraft is Ar 234B-2 Werk Nummer 140312. This aircraft has been restored by the NASM and is now on display in the museum's Dulles facility.

Here's a look at the whole ship, circa 1946:

Ar234B-2WNr140312001a.jpg

Scanned from Monogram Close-Up 23 - Arado 234B by J. Richard Smith & Eddie J. Creek

Here's the caption for this photo, taken from the book:

Ar 234B-2, W.Nr. 140312, as it looked on September 20, 1946, at Wright Field, Ohio. This Blitz, in company with the three other American Ar 234s, arrived at Port Newark. This aircraft was shipped to Freeman Field, Indiana, for restoration to flight status. A proiect was initiated on December 3, 1945, to restore and test the Blitz at Wright Field, but was canceled. It was reinstated on March 7, 1946, and approved on April 3, 1946. After considerable difficulty, restoration was completed on April 10, 1946, at Freeman Field. Problems attendant to the correct installation of fuel and hydraulic lines as well as the proper movement of control surfacs were overcome. When flight-cleared engines were received, they were mounted and the aircraft was flown to Wright Field. In the summer of 1946, flight tests were carried out and, following these, the aircraft was placed in storage. In this photograph the Arado is missing its PV 1B periscope which was used for rear vision. Contrary to published reports, the B-series was never fitted with rear-firing weapons even though they were at one time planned.

Here's a look at this bird as she appears today...

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

Aleksandar Sekularac photos

Fade to Black...

Groovy! I've got a thing for captured birds... this is a nice shot, thanks for posting it.

The aircraft is Ar 234B-2 Werk Nummer 140312. This aircraft has been restored by the NASM and is now on display in the museum's Dulles facility.

Here's a look at the whole ship, circa 1946:

Ar234B-2WNr140312001a.jpg

Scanned from Monogram Close-Up 23 - Arado 234B by J. Richard Smith & Eddie J. Creek

The photos you posted are nicer than the ones I took last year. In the overhead shot you can see the more pointed nose than the period photos posted. I wonder if these might be two different models. On NASMs bird the aircraft work at the nose seems to be more crude that the older prints. Just a thought, Dave

If you are interested in captured aircraft, check out this website: http://www.indianamilitary.org/FreemanAAF/.../FF_museum.html

Freeman Field is about an hour south of Indianapolis, Indiana and was the base where enemy aircraft were restored after the war. In the late 1990s they found several luftwaffe aircraft parts buried at Freeman.

You lucky dogs, the American friends! thumbsup.gif

You do have unique collection of the WWII aircraft. The Arado posted is the only one in today's world. Congratulations.

Best regards

Greg

Arado 234 Cockpit from "German Arado 234 Bomber - A Collection of Data from Various Sources" AI2(g) Report no 2329, of which I have an original

Page19fromAradoAr234Manual.jpg

Page20fromAradoAr234Manual.jpg

Page21fromAradoAr234Manual.jpg

More to follow

Rich

And from “Report on Experiences with the AR 234 B (Long-Range Reconnaissance Airplane)” USAAF Translation No F-TS-541-RE, release date 2 May 1946, of which I have an original.

ReportonExperienceswiththeAr234B16.jpg

ReportonExperienceswiththeAr234B17.jpg

ReportonExperienceswiththeAr234B18.jpg

ReportonExperienceswiththeAr234B19.jpg

ReportonExperienceswiththeAr234B20.jpg

ReportonExperienceswiththeAr234B21.jpg

ReportonExperienceswiththeAr234B22.jpg

ReportonExperienceswiththeAr234B24.jpg

ReportonExperienceswiththeAr234B25.jpg

That's it

Rich