WWII DSC #8890

Jack's Son

U.S. medal collector

What a way to start a day !!!!!!! Geez, YOU are Blessed !!!!!! :w00t:

George :thumbsup:

What a way to start a day !!!!!!! Geez, YOU are Blessed !!!!!! :w00t:

George :thumbsup:

I'm beginning to think so too! I expect your next post to read something like, "I was walking across the river to get some coffee when...."

Very nice find JS! Do you plan on doing more research on it?.

Matt.

Yes Matt. To begin with, I am going to try and find a name match to the number. I know a couple of members who have such records. :thumbsup:

Yes Matt. To begin with, I am going to try and find a name match to the number. I know a couple of members who have such records. :thumbsup:

Very nice find, JS. Unfortunately this is not an awarded WWI medal. So no record is recorded. My suggestion would be to query the seller for additional information as it may likely be a WWII awarded piece. Congrats and Good Luck! Bob

Great pickup JS!

You scored and you weren't really looking!

I've picked up some of my best finds when I wasn't looking either. Makes the acquisition so much more rewarding!

Kim

I'm beginning to think so too! I expect your next post to read something like, "I was walking across the river to get some coffee when...."

..... :laughing1:

Thanks C !

Great pickup JS!

You scored and you weren't really looking!

Kim

I never go to these type of sales, as I don't expect to find anything of interest, obviously yesterday was a FREAK !

I stopped back by the house today to ask questions as Bob suggested, but nobody was home.

Sometimes, it's "bling luck"! :rolleyes:

Unfortunately DSC #8890 does not appear in the rather short list of about 80 DSCs traceable by number. It is interesting that this cross has the distinctive ribbon variety with wider and lighter red edge stripes, compared to the WW1 DSC ribbon. Also, the white stripes are narrower, and the center has a lighter blue shade. I have DSC #11429 with the same ribbon variety , but it is fitted with a slot brooch.

Thanks Tom for your input! I had hoped you would stop by.

It was a very surprising find, from a nice woman who was afraid she was asking too much for it!'

I assure you, she wasn't!!! :rolleyes: I gave her a bit more then she asked, but I walked away VERY HAPPY! ;)

• 3 weeks later...
Jack's Son
can you tell me are all ww2 DSC's numbered.Thanks

No, they weren't. The numbered ones were holdovers from WWI. The contracts that were issued during WWII called for split brooch and no numbers.

No, they weren't. The numbered ones were holdovers from WWI. The contracts that were issued during WWII called for split brooch and no numbers.

thank you for your quick reply to my DSC question.

I've never seen a DSC from any era with a split broach. Has any one else?

Jack's Son
I've never seen a DSC from any era with a split broach. Has any one else?

THANK YOU for catching my error!!! :thumbsup:

I meant SLOT BROOCH!! :blush: