Selective service medal.

Jack's Son

Just thought I'd bring out an often overlooked medal from the past.

The Selective Service Medal is awarded for exceptionally meritorious service or for significant achievements or inspiration to others which contributed to the goals of the Selective Service System i.e, The Draft. Civilian and military personnel were both eligible for this award. It was issued for service in WWII, which is officially from 07 Dec 1941 until 31 Dec 1946.

post-8213-1335683114.jpg

U.S. medal collector

Here's mine with the letter found in the box.

That is really neat to see the "Letter of Appreciation" along with the cased medal, ribbon bar and the lapel bar. Your's is the first one that I have seen the lettering on the case being a slanted lettering instead of the straight lettering. I have three of these cased complete in my collection and they are all straight lettering. I would love to have a slanted lettering also. Thank you for sharing that and the Letter !

According to the JOMSA article about this medal, this kind of case with slanted lettering was used for the last issue of the medal.

first issue, about 100 made, in a coffin style case for high ranking and personalities
second issue, about 100 000 made, in the straight lettering case
third issue, about 5000 made, in the slanted lettering case

post-5589-0-37188300-1403126044.jpg

Robswashashore

JS -- I have always been curious about this medal. My mother's Aunt worked for the Selective Service office in her small town in Mississippi. I remember that she got to know all the boys and used to go down to the bus station to see them off, and she would always cry.

Thanks for the interesting update.

Jean

• 11 months later...

According to the JOMSA article about this medal, this kind of case with slanted lettering was used for the last issue of the medal.

first issue, about 100 made, in a coffin style case for high ranking and personalities

second issue, about 100 000 made, in the straight lettering case

third issue, about 5000 made, in the slanted lettering case

Do we have pics of the different types of writing? I was looking for the first issue in specific.

I agree with Jack's Son... This is an often overlooked medal. Here are a few more examples...

So the slanted writing was the later one. Which of these two would be the first issued?

• 6 months later...

Re-energizing this thread rather than add another with similar subject. Grabbed this last week, at first caused me pause with zero valor awards, then thought it out. Potential Naval officer, 1920s entering service, reservist, there are a lot of potential expeditions he could have been involved in. WW II service as a higher level staff officer. Then as a civilian working for SSS or as a GO or COL supervising s draft board, is awarded the Selective Service Medal?? Either way, it is well made and sewn correctly. "Feels" right, and was unique enough to have in my collection.

post-114-0-13843400-1381674785.jpg

• 2 years later...

Looked in my "the Call of Duty" & Gliem medal notes and cannot find the manufacturer contract for the selective service medal. If anyone knows I would appreciate that information. Thanks.

• 4 years later...

Re-energizing this thread rather than add another with similar subject. Grabbed this last week, at first caused me pause with zero valor awards, then thought it out. Potential Naval officer, 1920s entering service, reservist, there are a lot of potential expeditions he could have been involved in. WW II service as a higher level staff officer. Then as a civilian working for SSS or as a GO or COL supervising s draft board, is awarded the Selective Service Medal?? Either way, it is well made and sewn correctly. "Feels" right, and was unique enough to have in my collection.

100_1588.JPG

So would the Selective Service ribbon be placed in order after the WWII Victory ribbon?

I just learned my grandmother received one I and want to display a ribbon bar (but want to make sure the order is accurate.

She served in the ANC - first at Camp Barkeley then on the USAHS Chateau Thierry - from 26 Jun 1941 to 15 Apr 1945 until rheumatoid arthritis and pregnancy caused her to be discharged from service:

I think this ribbon order would be right then:

- American Defense Service Medal

- American Campaign Medal

- European/African/Middle Eastern Campaign Medal (with 2 stars)

- Victory Medal

- Selective Service System

collectsmedals

Selective Service Medal and award document to Major General Thomas Henry Green. Major General Green was executive officer to the Military Governor of Hawaiian Islands during World War II, and Judge Advocate General of the United States Army from 1945 to 1949.

post-294-0-56074500-1586561687_thumb.jpg

post-294-0-30348700-1586561699_thumb.jpg

post-294-0-68615700-1586561716_thumb.jpg

I have to reiterate an earlier opinion of mine, that earlier case is the cat’s pajamas. Harder to find and I feel it lends a certain higher level of “credibility “ to the medal vice the cardboard case.

• 2 years later...
catfish774
On 3/31/2013 at 12:16 PM, 0811gysgt said:

I agree with Jack's Son... This is an often overlooked medal. Here are a few more examples...

post-8847-0-78237200-1364750151.jpg

So can you tell me which is which? Left 1st issue type?

Or right?

• 5 weeks later...