Prison Camp Model, or...........?

Jack's Son

Jack's Son

Thank you, Brian, S and R!

If there are no more posts soon, I will include a link to a video to help show what we have learned to date, and much better pictures inside the camp!

manayunkman

JS,

Still as striking as the day I saw it. If this would be a war time German made model it would be even rarer than it actually is. If my memory serves me correctly one of the miniature vehicles resembles a US Jeep ?? That would date this model during the time period that the camp was under US control.

Outstanding JS and best wishes with your research.

M

KASTAUFFER

German POWs used to make a LOT of stuff for their US captors shortly after the war. Arts and Crafts were extremelly popular. Paintings, scultpures, cigarette cases, etched canteens, were made and traded , given, or sold to the guards.

I would bet this was made by a POW. They had the time on their hands.

Kurt

The most plausible story in my opinion is that the model is purposely built as a gift for Fred G. Fimbres from his successor at the takeover of command. (Maybe by one of the post war inhabitants.)

Fimbres was probably (one of) the first camp commander(s) after Camp Hallein was transformed from a concentration camp (support camp for Dachau) to serve as a Displaced Person Camp. The model is dated May 1946, so that is only a year after the end of WWII. After that (surprisingly soon) apparently an Austrian commander took over.

If you google for "DP Camp Hallein", you will get many hits. Behind the websites that show up, there are probably people who might be able to help you solve the mystery.

Cheers!

It looks like Fred G. Fimbres was a Los Angeles County Sheriff for many years, both before and after WW2. That's probably how he ended up in charge of a DP camp...

• 2 years later...
Tu Felix Austria

Hello

i m from Austria and my girlfriend is living in hallein so i m often there.

i think i know the place where this camp was, at the former place there is a prisoner cemetary and a memorial

the Castle on the front of the box should be the Castle Hohen Salzburg i think, you can see it from Hallein and the mountain in behind is the Untersberg

when i m there the next time i will make some pics

regards sebastian