checkit

.30-06 Cloth Bandolier - Clandestine Usage

I found this in some boxes I had in the attic full of miscellaneous army footlocker item, with no recollection of how I came by it. Is it WW2 era, US, or ???.

post-2647-1335653987.jpg

Don E. Wagner

www.soldiersmuseum.com

Surprised that none of the experts have jumped on this one, so I'll give you my thoughts from a cartridge collecters view point. The 30-06 cartridge with a CN (month) 40 or BN (month) 40 headstamps are identified and referred to as "Bay of Pigs" rounds, purportedly ordered and supplied by the CIA as a sterile round for the invasion of Cuba in 1961 at the Bay of Pigs. These were probaly produced in 8 round, enbloc clips for the M1 Garand. They were produced with these headstamps to prevent them being traced back to the US goverment. I would assume that this is one of the cloth bandoleers for those 8 round clips. I have in my collection BN 2 40, BN 3 40, and CN 7 40

Surprised that none of the experts have jumped on this one, so I'll give you my thoughts from a cartridge collecters view point. The 30-06 cartridge with a CN (month) 40 or BN (month) 40 headstamps are identified and referred to as "Bay of Pigs" rounds, purportedly ordered and supplied by the CIA as a sterile round for the invasion of Cuba in 1961 at the Bay of Pigs. These were probaly produced in 8 round, enbloc clips for the M1 Garand. They were produced with these headstamps to prevent them being traced back to the US goverment. I would assume that this is one of the cloth bandoleers for those 8 round clips. I have in my collection BN 2 40, BN 3 40, and CN 7 40

It would be more correctly referred to as "clandestine ammunition" or something like that. Bay of Pigs ammo is a little bit off, as this ammo was used for other clandestine purposes as well. It is just standard Lake City M2 ball with the headstamp designed to throw off anyone who may try to pin the ammo to America. I have seen these bandoliers full of either 8 round enblocs or 5 round strippers. I had one full of 5 round clips, but only have 2 of the clips of cartridges left. The bando is worth about $10. The clandestine ammo is pretty neat to have around to show off, it makes for a neat story to tell people that aren't as into history as you are.

donation2012.gif

Thank you, everyone, for your help. I am not too gun-literate, and would NEVER have figured this out on my own.

Don E. Wagner

www.soldiersmuseum.com

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.