Some of My Favorite Rates PART II

36-tex

kyhistorian01
On grey

Thanks for sharing your rates with us I especially like the Gray ones as I have a small collection of gray rates, shoulder boards and uniforms.

Robert

SEABEEBRIAN
Correct on the reserve E-5s. NAVADMIN 056-05 limited HYT for (Active) E-5s to 14 years. USMC has the lowest HYT at 13, while the Air Forces has it set for 20 years.

A friend of mine just retired from active duty as an MM2 (E-5). There is a cut-off at which point you were grandfathered.

Mark,

Probably would look like this. :lol: I will probably end up with at least 3 more books before I'm done....

post-2501-1335657467.jpg

Jason

That's how my collection is displayed/stored, also.

I did purchase a bag of those cedar "rings" and placed one on a post in each album.

-dan

This may be the rarest rate I own. I have never seen another one.

Very rare. Consider the rating was only in effect from 1957-61 and senior and master chief did not come into effect until 1958. The early E-8 and E-9 "stars" were applied to existing CPO rating badges and manufacturers did not start producing senior and master chief rating badges with the stars until likely mid to late 1959 or early 1960...that's a very small window for this rating badge to have been produced before Nuclear Weaponsman was folded into the Gunner's Mate (Technician) (GMT) rating.

-dan

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
ShooterMcGavin

This may be the rarest rate I own. I have never seen another one.

Nuclear Weaponsman, existed I believe from 1957-1961 or thereabouts. Considered such a top secret rating that men going ashore "disguised" their profession by wearing the rating badge of a cook, yeoman or boatswains mate to prevent drawing attention.

• 3 weeks later...

Aviation Electronics Technician Senior Chief Petty Officer. I found this at the base thrift store, the star was made seperately and hand sewn onto the rating badge.

post-104733-0-30397000-1351658661_thumb.jpg