Admiral William Kearney Phillips Medals

0811gysgt

These were on Ebay yesterday for a short period of time.

What a great grouping to an Admiral who graduated from the U.S. Naval Academy at Annapolis, Class of 1918 and served into the 1950's? WWI, WWII, and Korean Service.

Admiral William Kearney Phillips: http://militarytimes.com/citations-medals-...cipientid=55107

post-8847-1335562528.jpg

post-8847-1335562534.jpg

post-8847-1335562543.jpg

post-8847-1335562554.jpg

post-8847-1335562561.jpg

History Man

Now that is a quality set of medals, to an Admiral too!! :thumbsup: Were you able to get these?

Philip :love: :jeal0001:

I was surprised these weren't put on the Forum until today as they were on Ebay from mid-morning til 5pm CDT yesterday..... they were broken into 3 separate auctions but seller advised me they all went to one bidder (good to hear), he only indicated the winner offered waaaaaaayyyyyyyy more than anyone else.
Hobza, was that you again???

DakotaDave

......... he only indicated the winner offered waaaaaaayyyyyyyy more than anyone else.

DakotaDave

I wonder what WAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYY = in dollars and cents? :fear:

I think $2000 is cheap. I would think its a 3000-4000 group.

Just the DSM and the WWI UDC medal are worth over 1000 together.

Kurt

I'll bet his ribbon rack no longer included the ribbon for that Japanese Order of The Sacred Treasure after early December 1941.

He may have gotton it in the 50's too. I bet he would have still be reluctant to wear it.

Kurt

He may have gotton it in the 50's too. I bet he would have still be reluctant to wear it.

Kurt

I didn't even consider it could have been a post war award. Made me think of that famous picture of Jimmy Doolittle attaching Japanese medals (that I understand were awarded to him prior to the war) to a bomb intended for the Tokyo raid.

It definately appears that he wore this award at one time, even though this brooch is mounted upside down. I was thinking a post-war award.

post-8847-1335662966.jpg

0811gysgt

I received these in the mail today, along with some of his ribbon bars. I will post pics when I get back home. The medal bar was very well made.

I am attempting to locate a picture of him showing his ribbons or medals. I can only find one pic of him as a Captain; still a cool combat photo.

post-8847-1335916938.jpg

0811gysgt

I just purchased a nice set of 1950's era Naval Aviator Wings and Submarine Dolphins from the same seller. My research so far has shown that Admiral Phillips may have rated both? Can anyone confirm that?

• 5 years later...

Great pick up dskjl and thank you for posting the photo of the Admiral.

That last ribbon in the B/W photo appears to be the Philippine Indepence ribbon to me. Anyone think otherwise?

I was able to pick up some of his other ribbons and insignia with the medals. I forgot that I never posted everything to this thread, but I will when I return from my travels in a few weeks.

The Submarine insignia is now confirmed, but the group also came with a set of Naval Aviator wings. Can anyone confirm that the Admiral was a Naval Aviator, perhaps early in his long career?

His Navy DSM was quite unique in that it was not his "retirement award", as many would think. It was actually a Cold War award for his leadership of a Carrier Strike Group that responded to an international incident when Communist planes shot down a civilian airliner. The award citation is as follows:

Navy Distinguished Service Medal:

Awarded for actions during the Cold War...

The President of the United States of America takes pleasure in presenting the Navy Distinguished Service Medal to Admiral [then Vice Admiral] William Kearney Phillips (NSN: 0-17173), United States Navy, for exceptionally meritorious and distinguished service in a position of great responsibility to the Government of the United States between February 1954 and 1 August 1955. During this period, Admiral Phillips served with great distinction as Commander FIRST Fleet. In Indochina, a geographical area of political and civil turmoil, where our allies were suffering heavily from communist military subversion, Admiral Phillips, by his astute professional judgment, zeal and his outstanding personal leadership, contributed in a great measure to the stabilization of the area.

During February 1954 in response to unexpected, urgent message orders received at sea off San Francisco, Admiral Phillips with his operational staff proceeded by air to the South China Sea. There he assembled, trained and operated his fleet, including a carrier striking force, which in the eyes of the communist aggressor provided a strong deterring force, and which led to a slackening of the internationally tense situation in Indochina. This fact and the high state of combat effectiveness achieved by the forces under his leadership were amply demonstrated on 23 July 1954 when his ships and planes were called upon to conduct rescue operations of the passengers of a civilian airliner shot down by communist planes off the coast of Hainan.

Within minutes his planes were airborne and rescue ships dispatched. Intervention by communist planes resulted in the prompt shooting down of two of these planes by Admiral Phillips' Task Force and prevented interference with this humanitarian rescue operation. This one incident alone was a great morale booster to our allies. Throughout the entire period of his service as Commander FIRST Fleet, Admiral Phillips exhibited inspiring leadership, outstanding initiative, and a thorough display of professional competence. His distinguished service reflects great credit upon himself and the United States Naval Service.

General Orders: Commander in Chief Pacific: Serial 1791 (April 19, 1957)

Action Date: February 1954 - August 1, 1955

Service: Navy

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...