2nd div. chaplin on e-pay

Costa

i wonder?? think.gif could this one be ok?? look good but, the decals on the liner?? think.gif ww2??? no id--- liner is very dirty, good sign, fixed bail good sign but, decals?? think.gif what do you think dr, s??? if real should go for big bucks. think.gif

post-73-1199935006.jpg

post-73-1199935016.jpg

post-73-1199935030.jpg

post-73-1199935039.jpg

Any chance that could be a painted insignia on the liner with some sort of coating (schlack, or however you spelol that) painted over the top? The liner on the nice painted helmet (technician sergeant) that sold yesterday had a similar coating... just a thought.

2nd Division did indeed have decals later in the war, i have an unused one in my collection and it's identical in size to the one on e-bay.

Rich

That's the second IndianHead Chaplain on Ebay in less than a year......... ????????

I think it has been on before but it was a no pay..or at least did not meet the reserve price..so says the seller. I don't know..looks good, should be interesting as was the 2nd ID that had the navy ID'd liner. That one went WAY cheaper then I thought it would.

Wade

Looks pretty good to me however, a few concerns: First, seller has feedback score of 1, not what I consider a safe selling record. Second, it didn't sell last time he listed it with only a $2000.00 reserve? If buyers didn't have questions on this one, then it should have sold easily for $3500.00+ and now he has lowered the reserve? He could get more for this at the SOS. Third, no provenance, no proof, no story, no nothing! Forth, take Money Orders only... translated: no buyer protection if this is a rip-off. Fifth, being sold as is. That means: No Refund! I may regret letting this one go but, I'm not willing to toss good cash after those questions.

Hello All,

First off I haven't looked at this auction, but, Bugme brings up some very very good points.

Seller's low feedback, Money orders only, Sold as is, High dollar item (possibly).

All this adds up to one big stinky red flag!

How do we know this seller even has possession this helmet?

Charlie

i had my doubts--- even the cross. it doesnt look period. heres mine------ this puppy is documented. by the way--- any one know how many chaplins were with a div. at that time??? think.gif

post-73-1200016677.jpg

it did'nt sell. second time around the reserve was not meet and the seller stated it was lowered from the first time. high bid 1,080.00. something is wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The first time he tried to sell it was two years ago (Dec 2005) and the highest bid (still under the reserve price) was something like 5000 us dollars if I remember (but not absolutely certain about it). What I am sure is that it was terribly hight!! And what I'd thought then is that the seller had put a very hight reserve price just to see how much collectors could put in that kind of stuff.

It seems that today collectors are very few able to put so much money in that helmet. The seller must be disappointed... And I would pay a few bucks just to know what is the reserve price now :blink:

I like very much this helmet but will not put a bid on because of the decal on the liner...

Yannick ;)

thats one reason why i stayed away-- decals. second, no id. go for a high end item like that it better be id'ed.

another example--- my 34th red bull--- well when i bid on it there were over 20 bidders and the price was very high. that tells you something. the lid was not id'ed and that was one thing the seller had to proove, and she did. i got it for 15.00 under 5,000.00.

and another thing--- when an item is good, some how it jumps out at you and that lid did at me.

post-73-1200255991.jpg

post-73-1200256012.jpg

post-73-1200256079.jpg

admin--- just getting to a point. this is one area of collection that is really out of hand and getting way worse as time goes on. think of how many suckers got ripped and bought fake repro piss pots of e-pay. shocking thing is many still dont know they are the holder of the piss pot of the year award and when they do find out there will not be enough toilet tissue to dry the tears.

JUST BE CAREFUL AND DONT BE IN A HURRY.

that chaplin 2nd div. is on again for the 3rd time??? that guy is trying to feel out a price to put on that lid. something smells abit off!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm happy for Costa! It is sweet when you know you got it right and you have a human face on it! Nothing better in our hobby than to know it was "there" and you know who was wearing it!

I bet it is still just as sweet as when you got Costa!

Congrats,

Mike

yes it is. however and this goes for all--- the day will come when you have to let it go. your kids dont want it , your age and so on. who on the forum is going to pay say 5,500.00 to 6,000.00 for it???? or does it go on sleeze pay to some novist??? pinch.gif

Exactly Costa! Maybe we should go ahead and will some of the good, ID'ed helmets to members/friends here on the forum, with a set price for them! I can think of a dozen folks here that I would want to see my helmets going to...giving the funds to my wife, who would be glad to be rid of them! :)

Mike

Costa, I think that if you ever sold the chaplain or the 34th lid, you'd have enough guys on this forum falling all over themselves to buy it from you, me included!

As for your question: The norm was six chaplains per division some had more... most had less.

ok--- my question was answered. now to the meat of the answer involving that 2nd div. chaplin on sleeze pay. what are the chances of that helmet belonging to a chaplin of the 2nd? i said it before--- if there were no doubts at all--- the bidding would have shot up to the 2000.00 plus mark.

oh, ps--- if i ever did decide to sell off my lids--- they would go to a member(s) of the forum.

post-73-1200283356.jpg

post-73-1200283389.jpg

ok--if i ever did decide to sell off my lids--- they would go to a member(s) of the forum.

:rolleyes: what a good spirit, as we say in french, "esprit de corps" thumbsup.gif

i had my doubts--- even the cross. it doesnt look period. heres mine------ this puppy is documented. by the way--- any one know how many chaplins were with a div. at that time??? think.gif

Costa...nice helmet...I don't think Charlie "Chaplin" was in the 2nd Div. :rolleyes:

I think the 2nd Div had two different Chaplains during the war.

They did have chaplain decals...but I believe they came about after the war.

I'll pass on the helmet.

that is what struck me--- the decals. second no id. other then that it has the classic signs of a period lid. fixed bail, small indian head, the grime in the liner from years of storage. when i see decals i think post war into korea.

Helmet finaly sold 3000 US dollars, but I'm surprised the second hight bidder only put 1200 dollars. Looks like the winner had the helmet for the max bid he put on it. It's curious think.gif .

Yannick