NEW ww2 Pocket Knife belonging to General Arnold

ArchangelDM

ArchangelDM

Hi all , well i came across this knife in the last minutes on ebay yesterday morning and won it. I have no idea of date but its listed as a ww2 knife , here is the description .

"Recently we received a gift from the estate of Major General William R. ARNOLD; it was a vast collection of soldier’s donated personal effects; this auction is for a pocket knife from that collection (the generals picture is NOT on auction).

This is a WWII "battlefield tested" working pocket knife; the blades are sharp, and they open and close with no problems into the body.

The body at one time was in bronze with gold gilt, and the blades are in stainless steel; the blades are hallmarked Inox; a German manufacturer.

Please look at all of the pictures, as the covers are weather worn with rust and pitting, but still visible on bother sides we have the French apparition of our Lady of Lourdes, the Church at Lourdes, and the Grotto at Lourdes.

Whats your thoughts guys i paid $12 , Is it a ww2 Knife ? , and if so would this general of carried it with him. i know its a bit weathered but it looks well used :) , i just loved the pics on the blade casing.

Thanks in Advance

D.C

post-8861-1335371573.jpg

blitzkrieg gsd

I dont think its a US issued knife i may be wrong bjt i havent ever seen one like it. I would say its a private purchased piece he picked up somewhere. It could of also been a gift that was sent to him while over seas. Did they give you any paperwork or any kind of province with it?

LOL...not military issue...not by a long shot. :lol: The U.S. military did not issue cheap French souvenir knives with Our Lady of Lourdes and the Shrine on the scales. Without provenance, it's just a BS story by an eBay seller.

Online definition: Inox, from French acier inoxydable, is a synonym for stainless steel.

I could believe that a Chaplain may have visited the shrine at Lourdes while in Europe and picked up a souvenir pocket knife. To get a photo of a chaplain general, just to sell a knife is a bit for a stretch even for ebay.

No biggie either way, but I would think plausible.

To get a photo of a chaplain general, just to sell a knife is a bit for a stretch even for ebay.

Jerry,

D.C. said on his first post "the generals picture is NOT on auction."

yea I get that, they weren't selling the pic, but they were showing the pic.

It's not like it was Patton's lucky rabbits foot they were selling this is a pretty obscure general IMO.

call me an optimist, but I am thinking it is possible.

Historically significant? no.

Worth $12 ? probably not.

But Possible that a ugly knife from religious shrine was picked up a buy a guy in the religion business?

Possible.

yea I get that, they weren't selling the pic, but they were showing the pic.

It's not like it was Patton's lucky rabbits foot they were selling this is a pretty obscure general IMO.

call me an optimist, but I am thinking it is possible.

Historically significant? no.

Worth $12 ? probably not.

But Possible that a ugly knife from religious shrine was picked up a buy a guy in the religion business?

Possible.

LOL...agree! :lol:

• 8 years later...

can anyone tell me anything about this knife..my grandfather gave it to me 25 years ago and I don't know anything about it 

I"m with Chap15 on this one.  IMHO, this is a trinket sold for tourists and pilgrims alone the religious routes that exist through out parts of France and Spain since medieval times. 

Look up Lourdes France. I believe these knives exist by the thousands, with a variety of different scales applied to them with names of different locations. I don't believe these have any real connection with the Second World War.

manayunkman

GIs who stayed In theater for any length of time once the war was over became tourists.

They traveled extensively and brought home souvenirs.

Perhaps the general visited the grotto and got the knife as a souvenir or maybe someone else went and got it for him.

Looks like it wasn’t stored properly and became badly damaged from oxidation.

Regardless it’s a stretch trying to prove it came from any GI.