WWI Helmet 51st Regiment 3rd Army

fight

I recently got this helmet off of eBay and I just started to look around for information on the 51st Regiment. I have done some Google searches but nothing has come up in regards to the United States army. If anyone has any information they would like to share I would love to hear it. The helmet is in nice condition except for the top which looks like it has water damage, but it hasn't gone through the helmet.

post-62261-1335341973.jpg

post-62261-1335341984.jpg

post-62261-1335341997.jpg

BigJohn#3RD

fight,

Nice looking helmet; I believe your unit is the 51st Pioneer Infantry. Google search shows that it was organized in Jan 1918 from the old 10th NY Infantry served with the IV and VI Army Corps and was to be converted to the 386th Inf but war ended and served in the Army Of Occupation under the 3rd Army. This would explain your helmets double insignia. It was credited with service in service in the St Michael and Defensive Sector. Hope this helps.

Regards,

John

Thanks for the comments guys and thanks John for the info, I look forward to finding out more about the 51st. Is the Blue and White circle the symbol of the 51st? I Google searched but nothing came up. I also took another look at the helmet today and what I thought was rust was actually grime, so I took some water and tried to gently wipe away the layer that was over the helmet. It helped a little bit, but I am still unable to read the initials of the soldier painted on the helmet and it looks like it read "Mohawk(?) to the Rhine".

Again thanks for the help and here are some pictures:

post-62261-1335383854.jpg

post-62261-1335383863.jpg

I looked through the OOB of the AEF, and John is right. The only unit it could be is the 51st Pioneer Infantry.

It was organized in January 1918 at Camp Wadsworth, SC, and arrived overseas in July 1918. During the St. Mihiel Offensive, the regiment was attached to IV Corps (that's the blue and white insignia). Some elements appear to have been sent to VI Corps in the Marbache Sector, where they were at the Armistice. They are also listed as part of IV Corps in the Toul Sector during the same time frame. The regiment went on with IV Corps to occupation duty west of the Coblenz bridgehead until May 1919. In July 1919, the regiment was demobilized at Camp Upton, NY.

aef1917, that is very interesting information and thanks for answering my questions! I appreciate the help guys.

• 1 year later...
johnnycortina

I looked through the OOB of the AEF, and John is right. The only unit it could be is the 51st Pioneer Infantry.

It was organized in January 1918 at Camp Wadsworth, SC, and arrived overseas in July 1918. During the St. Mihiel Offensive, the regiment was attached to IV Corps (that's the blue and white insignia). Some elements appear to have been sent to VI Corps in the Marbache Sector, where they were at the Armistice. They are also listed as part of IV Corps in the Toul Sector during the same time frame. The regiment went on with IV Corps to occupation duty west of the Coblenz bridgehead until May 1919. In July 1919, the regiment was demobilized at Camp Upton, NY.

My granfather served in the 51st Pioneer Infantry in France. My Mum said his old helmets were about the house when they were kids. I would like to get one of these helmets for my son, as he is interested in this family history.

What is the helmet full type / description, to help me search possibly for one on ebay?

What medals would my granfather have - none survive in family. It would be nice to get exact copies if available.

Thanks.

My granfather served in the 51st Pioneer Infantry in France. My Mum said his old helmets were about the house when they were kids. I would like to get one of these helmets for my son, as he is interested in this family history.

What is the helmet full type / description, to help me search possibly for one on ebay?

What medals would my granfather have - none survive in family. It would be nice to get exact copies if available.

Thanks.

As far as I know, the 51st Pioneer Infantry did not have a unique insignia. They served with IV and VI Corps as well as the 3rd Army, so a painted helmet for the 51st would likely bear one of those insignia. None of these are especially common, but they do turn up on ebay from time to time. Since most painted helmets were decorated after the war, an unadorned m1917 helmet would be representative of the type your grandfather wore during hostilities.

He would have had a Victory Medal, but since campaign bars were awarded on an individual basis rather than unit-wide, it's probably not possible to determine exactly what he would have been entitled to. Most likely it would have included the St. Mihiel and Meuse-Argonne bars.